Do I need a Wide Ride Machete? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2014, 03:54 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Do I need a Wide Ride Machete?

I'm looking for a snowboard and have narrowed my choices down to the ride machete.

I would like to hear your personal experience/ opinions on what size I should get. The 154 wide, 155 reg, or 158 reg all seem to fit me. I'm just not sure if I should get a wide or not

I'm about 5'11 and 140lbs. I don't have boots yet but after measuring my foot, I should wear about a size 10.5 boot.

If you have any other suggestions on different all mountain boards that may fit me better, please share, thanks.
Bread is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2014, 04:08 PM   #2 (permalink)
Not quite reformed yet

NO!!! You definitely do not NEED a wide board! You can ride one. I did!

My first board was a wide cuz I listened to a somewhat less than knowledgeable sales person! I still ride that board, with 10.5 sized boots. But I have two other reg width decks now that I prefer to ride. They go edge to edge soooo much easier, faster,..!!!

I keep the wide for when I run into some deep pow or in the soft spring slush. In POW I will proly get more float from the wide, and in the spring? Being a 163cm stiff assed cambered deck? It handles & blasts thru the pushed up mounds of corned up snow & slush just great!

But Honestly,.. I would just go for the right length board for your weight and riding prefs in a reg width. If your at all worried,..? Maybe look for one of the "Mid Wides!"

_EDIT_ Oh fuck no,..!! Just re-read and saw your weight. Regular width all the way. Unless you are one big steroid muther? You'll kill yourself muscling a wide board all day! I weighed 200+ when I got mine!

2012/13 (48) days out!
2013/14 (44) days out!
2014/15

Last edited by chomps1211; 10-26-2014 at 04:46 PM.
chomps1211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 04:24 PM   #3 (permalink)

The weight limit for the 154 wide is 125-175 lbs and is supposed to fit boots size 9 to 11. The 155 reg is 115-165 lbs, but im just not sure if my boots would fit as the max size it lists on the size chart is size 9. Do you think I could get away with a reg machete?
Old 10-26-2014, 04:38 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bread View Post
The weight limit for the 154 wide is 125-175 lbs and is supposed to fit boots size 9 to 11. The 155 reg is 115-165 lbs, but im just not sure if my boots would fit as the max size it lists on the size chart is size 9. Do you think I could get away with a reg machete?
What is the waist width on those boards?
radiomuse210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 04:43 PM   #5 (permalink)
Not quite reformed yet

You'll please pardon me if I'm making a mistake here,.. Are we talking "Mens" boards & boots?

I'm not an expert and have only been riding about 4 years, but I've never heard of any board mnfr. placing a size 9 boot as the upper limit for any regular width board.

We have guys here riding reg width boards who I know are rockin' size 11's & up. Some of it depends on the footprint (exterior size/volume) of the boot and also if your binding angles are more or less extreme,.. But Everytime this question has come up, it's usually agreed that a size 10.5 does not need a wide.

I'll let some more experienced guys weigh in on this.

2012/13 (48) days out!
2013/14 (44) days out!
2014/15
chomps1211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 04:44 PM   #6 (permalink)

154 wide is 26 cm
155 reg is 24.7 cm
158 reg is 24.9
Old 10-26-2014, 04:53 PM   #7 (permalink)

Yep it's a men's board. 9 does seem small for the limit though
Old 10-26-2014, 04:53 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bread View Post
154 wide is 26 cm
155 reg is 24.7 cm
158 reg is 24.9
I think this is why it's best to start with boots - if your boots have a reduced footprint, you would definitely be golden. Plus, depending on the boot, you may only need a 9.5 or a 10 - typically you want to get 1/2 to a full size down on boots to allow for pack out. I know someone who rides a board with a 24.7 cm waist with 10.5 boots. On more hardpack conditions he is fine, but when the snow is slushy and he's doing some hard carving, he will get a little drag. Stance width and angles also come into play.

I'll let someone more experienced give you a more concrete answer, but those are some things to consider. Perhaps get the boots first and then look at the board.

You could also take a look at some mid-wide boards - Arbor has some great mid wides. If you are truly set on the Machete...I think I should let someone else give better advice than I could.

Last edited by radiomuse210; 10-26-2014 at 04:58 PM.
radiomuse210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 04:54 PM   #9 (permalink)
Banned!

you do not need a wide in any board, you don't have big feet

stop talking about waist widths its teh most retarded often discussed topic on this site which means absolutely nothing. No board is the same width at the waist as it is at the inserts, for starters. (it isn't an irrelevant topic, but it is approached, discussed, handled and philosphized corporately, wrongly, such that it is pointless most of the time)

again you do not have big feet, you do not need a wide board.

Last edited by snowklinger; 10-26-2014 at 05:56 PM.
snowklinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 06:21 PM   #10 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowklinger View Post
you do not need a wide in any board, you don't have big feet

stop talking about waist widths its teh most retarded often discussed topic on this site which means absolutely nothing. No board is the same width at the waist as it is at the inserts, for starters. (it isn't an irrelevant topic, but it is approached, discussed, handled and philosphized corporately, wrongly, such that it is pointless most of the time)

again you do not have big feet, you do not need a wide board.

^^
Agree 100%!!

I have 11.5 boots

Ride both, found it makes little difference.

Board stiffness, board profile, and length more relevant.

But when your spending $500. Everything is relevant
SnowDogWax is offline   Reply With Quote