~12 years on same board - looking for a new one - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2014, 08:52 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default ~12 years on same board - looking for a new one

Hi all!

Been snowboarding for almost 20 years, only had two boards so far. If I recall correctly the first one was a Burton A Deck 139 and the current one is a Burton Canyon 156 (2003) with Burton Custom bindings.
Have enjoyed riding the Canyon but planning on getting a new board this year

Stats:
65kg (143lbs)
172cm (~5'7")
boot size 42 eu (9 US)
age 30
flexible budget
Mainly ride groomers(90%) and some powder when possible. I don't visit the park at all

Alot of new brands and different board profiles out there nowadays. Have been trying to figure out something similar to the Canyon, which I think is pretty much a wide version of the Custom of that time(?).
In hindsight, not sure if the Canyon has been the ideal board for me based on my stats, but what did I know back then

Boards I've been looking at (~153-158 lengths):
Lib Tech Travis Rice Pro
Ride Highlife UL
Burton Custom X
Burton Custom
Gnu Riders Choice
Jones Flagship
Jones Mountain Twin

The Travis Rice Pro (153), Ride Highlife (158) and Mountain Twin (154) would be on sale at a local store (unfortunately hard to demo any boards where I live).

I like to ride fast and carving but also looking for a board that is "fun" to ride at slower speeds..any thoughts or other board suggestions would be more than appreciated!
RabbitOnBoard is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2014, 09:14 AM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

ahhh yes the ol' burton canyon.. that was my first board 168cm fully cambered and stiff as hell. i think mine was a 2003 as well, been trying to figure it out for a while on the burton vault website.. i made the switch to a t.rice pro 161.5 but i wouldnt consider them alike by any means. if your riding mainly groomers then you're right with the custom x. if you want something a little softer and more manoeuvrable then the custom would be just fine too, at your size i think the custom would be a little more manageable, the custom x is a pretty burly deck
Steezus Christ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 10:02 AM   #3 (permalink)

I use the 157 T.rice pro hp and it rocks! It rails turns, has great edge hold, and is a little softer for doing presses and such at slower speeds. I use mine for groomers, pow, and a little bit of smaller jumps. If you are up for a fast board, I'd go with the t.rice. Especially on sale! I am not familiar with the Customs but they would not be a bad choice either.
Ravaging Rami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 10:38 AM   #4 (permalink)

I also have a T.Rice pro 157cm. It is my favorite board (I own a Ride Theory from 2005 I believe, a Flow Era, and a K2 WWW. Haven't had much experience otherwise.), but I'm still not sure if I'm sold on Magnetraction. I think if you like your stiff camber board, but want something a little more playful the T.Rice pro is perfect. That's why I bought mine I love charging down the mountain on it, but it's also a blast to bounce around on.
JonSnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 11:15 AM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks for the quick replies!

Yeah always thought the Canyon was probably a bit on the stiffer side, even though no experience from other boards I guess I'm not looking for something completely similar to the Canyon, more like a board that works well with the way I ride (and where). The way you guys described the T.Rice Pro sounds alot like what I am looking for in a board!

I think I have to go check out the T.Rice Pro this week and the Burton Customs. Sizewise, the T.Rice Pro 153 would probably be the best fit for me?
RabbitOnBoard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 12:07 PM   #6 (permalink)

I think the 153cm will be a good size for you.
JonSnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 01:21 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

So I think the Rice is a pretty terrible option.

1. You know how to turn a snowboard and do it quite effectively for two reasons: your current deck is not only very stiff, but it's actually a wide. %70 of the time someone like you is going to feel like Magne is doing too much of the work for you, and they're all radial sidecuts. Radial sidecuts are pretty boring for carving shenanigans.

2. Coming from stiff full camber to C2 is most likely going to be pretty awful for you. You have progressed being forced to learn how to turn dynamically. C2 and other RC techs don't really allow that.

3. Rice is a mid wide. If you're getting something new, might as well get you on the right width.

4. It's a true twin. If you're riding 90% groomers and no park whatsoever you have no use of a twin.

So, your initial list is actually pretty good. Custom X is definitely a good option, compared to what youre riding now it will be faster, a touch softer tip to tail, way more nimble edge to edge, and a hell of a lot lighter/nimble. If you aren't bombing and throwing down nipple draggers and do want something a little bit more playful, cambered Custom. Softer, will be a little bit wider under foot, but still carve well. The Highlife would be along the order of the Custom X, but I think you'd be better off on the 55 than the 58. No point in continuing to work too hard. If they have a Berzerker, that's going to roughly be like the Custom. The Mtn Twin will work for your desired riding, but with the rocker in the tip and tail you'll be riding it more centered than full camber. Decide if you want carvability or playfulness more.

Depending on what else you have available others I'd put on your radar for various reasons are: K2 Subculture, Salomon Mans Board, Rome Agent Camber, or Yes Standard.

That thing I do to escape the world and have fun with my friend

Also, buy my things?
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/buy...ml#post1737634
Nivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 01:55 PM   #8 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabbitOnBoard View Post
Thanks for the quick replies!

Yeah always thought the Canyon was probably a bit on the stiffer side, even though no experience from other boards I guess I'm not looking for something completely similar to the Canyon, more like a board that works well with the way I ride (and where). The way you guys described the T.Rice Pro sounds alot like what I am looking for in a board!

I think I have to go check out the T.Rice Pro this week and the Burton Customs. Sizewise, the T.Rice Pro 153 would probably be the best fit for me?
I have the 161 t rice and love it so much that I just bought the new 2015 model in a 153 for a more playful board for park. Ask any person that owns one of these and they will tell you its the way to go. The only thing that is a downer is that they are pricey but since its on sale that's not a problem for you. What year is the one you are looking at?
ZacAttakk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 02:12 PM   #9 (permalink)

12 years on same board is pretty cool. I have a 1993 Burton Craig Kelly that I rode for 19 years straight. They don't make them like they used to hahaha.
CK93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 02:23 PM   #10 (permalink)
Reformed Creep-o-saurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nivek View Post
So, your initial list is actually pretty good. Custom X is definitely a good option.
Agreed. For groomer bombing I'd look at the Custom X, Volkl Coal XT, Prior MFR (Mens Freeride)...

Just to give you a few options and muddy the water a bit!

edit: And FYI, I rode a 1995 Kemper Freestyle until about 2009. Stiff, narrow, and great for Ontario groomers! Went to a super stiff Burton T6 (the stiffer brother from the Custom X) and loved it.

Last edited by poutanen; 10-27-2014 at 02:26 PM.
poutanen is offline   Reply With Quote