I am unhappy with Brociety - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2009, 08:32 PM   #1 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Default I am unhappy with Brociety

Why might you ask? who could hate a ODAT site that posts items for over 50% off.

Well I recently purchased the Burton Gig Bag off brociety for 33.98, its listed at Dogfunk for 52.47.

On Dogfunk, it includes free shipping, on Brociety there was a $26 shipping cost, anyone who can do elementary level math will quickly realize that it is now more expensive to Standard UPS ship it.

This is ridiculous because, Backcountry and affiliates are now making less money off of it, and the consumer is paying more. Which makes the consumer pissed and more likely to defect to another retailer. Some recent incidents with some of my over 40 purchases with Backcountry and affiliates has left me some what annoyed, and even though I was a once loyal customer I have started to shop elsewhere and will continue unless something I see becomes spectacular. Backcountry has now become what I resort to when Im unsure of a product and want to try it out, because of their return policy I could return something if its broken in half 5 years later
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2009, 11:47 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Support your local snowboard shop.
Old 03-29-2009, 01:23 AM   #3 (permalink)
Cold Feet

Dogfunk (a Backcountry affiliate) shipped me the wrong board earlier this year. Three phone calls and two weeks later, still no board. I told them to cancel the order, and I bought it somewhere else. Three days later they shipped me the right board.....

I told them to take their board back, and I'd never give them my business again.

As much as I'd like to support a local shop, there just isn't a decent one in my town. But I'll damn sure never spend another hard earned dime with any Backcountry company again!
Old 03-29-2009, 02:42 AM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

The only shop around me exclusively sells Burton and Rossignol. thats it, I try to avoid Buying burton as much as possible but recently Ive picked up a few items out of necessity.
Old 03-29-2009, 03:36 AM   #5 (permalink)
gmilo00

Strange,

The one problem I had with backcountry was resolved really quickly thanks to their online live IM-style support thing.

Sounds like they really screwed the pooch on Cold Feet's order
Old 03-29-2009, 06:09 AM   #6 (permalink)
snaplok

Quote:
Originally Posted by RidePowder View Post
Why might you ask? who could hate a ODAT site that posts items for over 50% off.

Well I recently purchased the Burton Gig Bag off brociety for 33.98, its listed at Dogfunk for 52.47.

On Dogfunk, it includes free shipping, on Brociety there was a $26 shipping cost, anyone who can do elementary level math will quickly realize that it is now more expensive to Standard UPS ship it.

This is ridiculous because, Backcountry and affiliates are now making less money off of it, and the consumer is paying more. Which makes the consumer pissed and more likely to defect to another retailer. Some recent incidents with some of my over 40 purchases with Backcountry and affiliates has left me some what annoyed, and even though I was a once loyal customer I have started to shop elsewhere and will continue unless something I see becomes spectacular. Backcountry has now become what I resort to when Im unsure of a product and want to try it out, because of their return policy I could return something if its broken in half 5 years later
Strange coincidence that I tried to order the same thing from them on Thursday, but I ended up with the Burton Board Sack cause I don't plan to be flying with my board any time soon. I even asked the rep( cause I called them to place the order) why that was. His best guestimate was that the Gig back is a more ridgid item and that would account for the added shipping. So far, haven't had an issue with Backcountry, knock on wood. But, all it takes is that one time to really screw an order for a company to lose business. Especially in places like this forum, word travels fast.
Old 03-29-2009, 06:44 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurtonAvenger View Post
Support your local snowboard shop.

When it comes to boards its hard to get the same value at the shop as you can find online, especially ebay. However it its a good idea to buy the accessories and such and develop a repor with them.
milner_7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 07:30 AM   #8 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

As I said before, Dogfunk/Backcountry Price - %30 = What everyone else is charging.

I love Brociety, but you've got to pick your battles. They let you see your exact shipping charges BEFORE you place the order. Don't blame them if you get sucked in to paying insane shipping charges, you could have just walked away instead of clicking 'place order'.

Put the item you want in your cart, figure out the final cost, and then quickly Google/Ebay search for it elsewhere to see if you're actually getting a deal.

As for local board shops, I'd love to support them if they supported me. But they fill their sales floors with Burton whore monkeys who have no idea what they're talking about... at all. I'll give every local shop a chance, but they invariably blow it when an overly hairy kid with a Technine hat, who is purposely trying to act more stoned than he really is because he thinks it's cool, tries to sell me Burton freestyle boots and bindings for a freeride setup or something equally asinine. If I've got to do ALL of my own research and have to know what I need before I even walk through the doors, then the entire reason and justification for a local shop's existence in this economy has just evaporated.
MunkySpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 07:55 AM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

all of my experiences with the backcountry owned sites have been positive, even the one time i ordered something and then they said they sold out of it. they made it right. munky is right about picking your battles. not everything is an amazing deal one you add in shipping which is a minumum of $7-8 dollars no matter what it is.

also, i have said this many times. i support my local shop when i can but i refuse to pay a lot more for something just because it is my local shop.
Old 03-29-2009, 07:56 AM   #10 (permalink)
snaplok

Quote:
Originally Posted by MunkySpunk View Post
As for local board shops, I'd love to support them if they supported me. But they fill their sales floors with Burton whore monkeys who have no idea what they're talking about... at all. I'll give every local shop a chance, but they invariably blow it when an overly hairy kid with a Technine hat, who is purposely trying to act more stoned than he really is because he thinks it's cool, tries to sell me Burton freestyle boots and bindings for a freeride setup or something equally asinine. If I've got to do ALL of my own research and have to know what I need before I even walk through the doors, then the entire reason and justification for a local shop's existence in this economy has just evaporated.
Damn. Well put. I felt guilty for not supporting my local shops and use the same reasoning, they don't know shite. Then friends would say, I am the reason little guys close. But then I went to a flagship store that rhymes with hurton in nyc and might have met the same guy you mentioned trying to pimp me boots that were WAY too advanced for me, saying they will make me a better rider. Hmmm I think lessons would make me a better rider. Luckily I do ALL my own research. I do try to keep the mom and pop places open, but they also have to do something to earn my money. Btw I do recommend and support one in paticular in NYC and that's Emilio's Ski Shop in Queens. They not only know what they sell, but they run bus trips to most of the east cost mountains for a deal.Decent prices too.(Maybe that plug will get me some free stuff)