Quick Burton & Stomp pad question - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2007, 02:04 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Quick Burton & Stomp pad question

So I got my 2008 Burton Twin in a couple months back & it says it's pre-waxed and looks waxed I guess?(Not good at telling yet) So does this mean it's ready to go on the slopes as is & I don't have to get it waxed or wax it..? Also for a stomp pad, does everyone get stomp pads for their boards or do they just say screw it..? I know the rentals had stomp pads on them.
EverBorN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2007, 02:06 PM   #2 (permalink)
MassMan

i couldnt help you on the wax question but as far as the stop pad goes, i'd get one. They are really not expensive at all and can really help.
Old 10-30-2007, 02:32 PM   #3 (permalink)
mike1two

Boards come pre waxed from the factories so you shouldn't have to wax it.
Old 10-30-2007, 03:25 PM   #4 (permalink)

Re-wax the sucker. All factory wax does is keep the base from drying out on the floors. And when you wax it, put a good 4-5 layers on before you go.
boarderaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 03:41 PM   #5 (permalink)
Oh god...NO!

Stomp pads are a very polarized item, people either love them or they hate them. I put them on my board, particularly if the board has a high gloss finish. Whether I actually end up using it or not is another question, but it's nice to have it when the need arises. I use a Dakine X Mat. If applied correctly the clear version is very hard to notice and the sharp spikes allow easier traction. You can get by without one by pressing the inside of your boot (your unstrapped leg) firmly against the back of the rear binding (and by back I don't mean the actual heelcup of the binding, but the side of the binding that faces the tail of your board). In fact, if you want to be different, put a stomp pad there instead of the front side of your rear binding.
Slaughterhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 03:43 PM   #6 (permalink)
N~R~G

and leave off the stomp pad, it's not needed, nor does it really help much.

imo, the one on my last board fucked me up more than it did help, as i was always concerned with getting my foot on the pad when getting off the lift...which made me not be prepared, so i'd fall or just be way wobbly getting off.

i left it off my new board & have no issues, i just shove my rear foot against my rear binder & i'm good to go.
Old 10-30-2007, 03:45 PM   #7 (permalink)
N~R~G

so you shove your foot forward against the rear binding slaughter?
Old 10-30-2007, 04:47 PM   #8 (permalink)
Oh god...NO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by N~R~G
so you shove your foot forward against the rear binding slaughter?
Well, not forward per say, more like alongside the back of the binding. Probably the way you are doing it. However, that is not what I always do. Wherever my foot lands is good enough for me. But if I'm on a T-bar I prefer to place my foot in front of the rear binding (where many people place a stomp for lack of a better description). If I'm coming off a lift either behind the binding or in front, whatever at the spur of the moment. Sometimes I just haphazardly rest my boot ON TOP of the rear binding. If I ride down a slope with one foot strapped in I like to place the foot in front of the binding (always alongside the binding). The only time I hate the X Mat stomp pad is if I'm drunk or high and forget it is there when I'm carrying it. Ouch!
Slaughterhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 04:48 PM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by N~R~G
imo, the one on my last board fucked me up more than it did help, as i was always concerned with getting my foot on the pad when getting off the lift...which made me not be prepared, so i'd fall or just be way wobbly getting off.
I hear where you coming from on that, but I personally like having one especially when the deck is glossy as your boot and the board get wet and slippery. It's not going to kill you not to have one though it's more of a preference thing.
lisevolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 06:11 PM   #10 (permalink)
Traynor2501

I almost always put a stomp pad on my boards... I usually go for some sort of Dakine stomp pad since they're my favorite brand...

But i've used my buddies boards that had different brands of them, one set of them had what looked like bottle caps sticking up and those were pretty awesome for coming off the lift.

I always was a brand new board before I take it on the slopes, it just seems like the Dealer/Manufacturer wax is low par, or could possibly be what was said earlier about just being there to keep the board from drying out too.

Have fun with that board... it looks sick if your into the park scene...