Rome's "No Hangups" Profiles, Any Thoughts/Experiences (Specifically the Crossrocket) - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2014, 06:52 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Rome's "No Hangups" Profiles, Any Thoughts/Experiences (Specifically the Crossrocket)

So I've spent the last 2hrs reading a ton of stuff on this forum, and have learned a lot about the different board profiles. One I've been looking at is the Rome Crossrocket, which has their "no Hangups pop" profile. It's camber in the middle of board out to a point shape a little past the inserts, and then the nose/tail is rockered, but all the way around, like the bottom shape of a skateboard. This seems to be a Rome thing, as I haven't seen any of the other companies (or profile shape guides for that matter) mention anything of this shape. I'm looking for some reviews if anyone has tried it. I've watched a bunch of videos on sites like The House and other boards hops that do video reviews, but they all seem to just talk about the tech, and how it will ride, instead of actual reviews from taking it out and riding it. Then I found one site, can't remember now but it was top Google result for reviews, that basically slammed the board for all 3 model years it's been out (2013, 14, and 15). So if someone could give me some first hand experience opinions on if this would be a good purchase, it's be greatly appreciated. Background on my riding would be:

I'm 5-9, 150#
I've been surfing since I was a kid, and skate hills on a longboard a lot, but I Just started seriously snowboard last season. Had been a couple times when I was in early teens (30 now) randomly with friends on local hills on snow days, but it was mostly "go straight and wreck yourself on a kicker". So I basically learned from scratch last season. I was using a borrowed 161 nitro camber from like 2000 the first couple trips and then purchased a Rome Agent 158 camber. I REALLY like how it locks Into turns and I was way more comfortable at speed and within the 3 months from when I started I went from being uneasy at the top of green trails to riding some black trails (slowly, very slowly haha) and being addicted to hopping off the trail into little tree runs and such. This season Id like to work on being a lot more loose and fluid with my riding, I feel like I was stiff and upright for most of the season last year til towards the end. Also learning to ride switch more comfortably. I have no interest in park riding, but I do want to start riding natural terrain like berms or natural kickers, little drop offs, stuff like that. I'm not a speed demon, I rarely point it straight and "bomb it" except a few times when it opens up into a straight shot to the lodge. Mostly my style would be surfy type carves and slashes and throwing in some butter tricks and little 180/360 hops (when I learn em haha) I feel like, despite my comfort when carving it, my current board is VERY unforgiving. It's really stiff and powerful, which I guess contributes to the feel of it when carving, but I can hardly get it up on the tail or nose to practice butter, and there are plenty of times I feel it bite or grab when I don't expect it to. Early on this lead to digging an edge and getting bucked. Towards the end of the season I was able to make a quick adjustment to prevent a catch most of the time, but it definitely made me a little wary on steeper trails/MKRE uneven terrain. I've been looking at the hybrids to kinda gimme "the best of both" and keep that confidence holding a carve that my camber board gives me, but also loosen me up a bit more without having such an unforgiving edge. I want something I can slide around when I want, but still be under control and not wash out on carves at speed. The crossrocket seems what I'm looking for. It has that "spoon" shaped nose/tail contour, so the contact points are lifted, and it'll float well in powder, but still has the camber to provide some power and carving confidence. Im a New England rider so it's gonna be all sorts of conditions snow-wise. I just want the confidence in my board to focus on learning how to ride the way I want to not on if I'm gonna snag and edge when I try this speed or that hop. are there any NH/VT mountains that have regular demo programs when I could potentially test a Rome Crossrocket? I know there are different random demo days for specific companies, but what about just an everyday thing at the pro shop or something where you can pay to test a few different setups? So far I've ridden Loon (that was a random trip in 2010 though when I didn't know how to ride at all and wrecked my knee first and only run haha), Bretton Woods once, Ragged a bunch, and Jay Peak once in April for spring riding. This year I already have trips planned to Mount Snow, Loon, Bretton Woods, Sunday River, Ragged, and Jay Peak.

Sorry for the long read, I'm a descriptive writer haha.

TL;DR (if that's a thing here)
Has anyone tried a Rome Crossrocket, and how was the ride? Is it good for an intermediate rider who rides groomers, trees, and likes carves, small natural terrain jumps and butter tricks?
Agent21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2014, 07:07 PM   #2 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Probably not a best of both type of deal. Here is a review by a member of the forum....

2013 Rome Shank Used and Reviewed -
Argo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 07:35 PM   #3 (permalink)

But that isn't the same board, it has the no Hangups rocker profile, which is flat between the feet and rockered at tip/tail. The Crossrocket has the no Hangups POP profile which is camber between and rocker and ends. But that link is the site that I found searching google reviews. That review seems pretty positive though. However, here is the review for the actual board I'm looking at (which is last year's model, because it is $280 cheaper) http://www.angrysnowboarder.com/2014...-and-reviewed/

He SKEWERS that board (and the previous and current model years of it), but it seems so contradictory to every thing else I've read about it, so I'm confused. I've gone to 3 local places that sell boards and seem to have gotten 3 totally different opinions on things as well so it's all a lot of info. Before I discovered this board profile I was looking at flat in center, rocker on ends, or camber Center rocker ends, or rocker center camber ends. One guy said flat is going to be more grabby than camber, another said flat will give me a more playful feel, another said I don't want anything with rocker between the feet and camber outside because that'll be too loose, but for example Rome's website rates their "mountain pop" profile shape, which is rocker between the feet and camber at the ends, as close to the "precision" end than the "playful" end of the scale (it's one step under pure traditional camber).

If the Crossrocket is a bad choice, what profile is a good choice for the "best of both". I understand a hybrid is never going to be as tight and powerful as a traditional camber, or loose and free as a pure banana shape rocker, but what layout gives the closest to that? Having the carving and higher speed stability of camber with the more playful feel at slow speeds and less catchy feeling of rocker? I know I definitely don't want pure rocker, just can't decipher from all the guides and info charts which one is best suited for my needs. mostly groomed trails, hopping into trees/side of the trail terrain when I can, and flexible enough to do flatland trick. I'm never gonna be hitting big kicker gaps or park obstacles, and really no interest in jibbing aside from any sort of perfectly fallen tree to hit naturally. Also has to be good in anything from icy, to spring slushy, to (hopefully) some fresh powder dumps and everything in between that comes with Northeast riding.

Again, appreciate the info.

Last edited by Agent21; 11-02-2014 at 07:41 PM.
Old 11-02-2014, 08:14 PM   #4 (permalink)

i would suggest either the Rome Mountain Division or any gnu or lib tech board with C3BTX
SkullAndXbones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 08:19 PM   #5 (permalink)

oh and i'm sure you'll be able to find a rome demo day somewhere in vermont seeing as how they're located in waterbury vt.
SkullAndXbones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 09:04 PM   #6 (permalink)

Welcome to the world of snowboarding my friend, where everyone is looking for a board that does it all but simply doesn't exist..

The best you can do is find a profile you think best suits and learn to ride it with it's weaknesses.

For what it's worth I've hand flexed the cross rocket and it is pretty darn soft but the camber gives it a nice snap. Hand flexes can be taken with a grain of salt though.

I like the idea of a full effective edge so tend to stay away from boards with raised contact points or rockered tips. The more edge you've got the more control you've got given that you have the right technique to ride it. I go with a soft flexing camber or crc profiles (depending on conditions) because once weighted the camber in the tip and tail engage the edge more on the snow but the rocker gives it a nice hinge in the middle to play around.

If you've got a cambered board then I'd suggest trying something with a rockered mid section so you can get the playfulness from it and keep your cambered deck for days you want to bomb groomers and rail turns. Just a suggestion based on my personal preference and experience. I'm sure more people will weigh in with their preferences so you can get a better understanding
Steezus Christ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 09:44 PM   #7 (permalink)

If you plan on taking it off any jumps or even pop ollies onto rails do not buy this board. My friend rides this board and he is utterly insane. I rode it a few times and its not fun unless your in powder or just buttering the whole mountain. The no hangups profile is a weird version of TBT that bataleon and lobster uses. That being said you might want to give it a try if you can get one on the cheap.
Mammoth Lifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 10:09 PM   #8 (permalink)

Sweet thanks guys. I just looked it up and Mount Snow in VT has a demo program where you can pay to test out gear (and then get a discount if you want to buy it), and it doesn't list the companies involved, but I'd assume Rome is one, as they're a VT company. I'm headed there the day after thanksgiving, so I may just try that out. For some reason I'm drawn to Rome boards. Not sure if it's because it was my first new board or what, but I just like them. I've ridden a Nitro (something, it was from 2000), a Ride fleetwood, an M3 something, a 161 rome Agent, and an older Rome (all friends boards), and I liked the Rome's, which is why I went with that for my first new board purchase.

I like my current board a lot, and it IS brand new basically (it's probabaly only been ridden 6 or 7 days total after I got it around February last season), it's just as Im starting to realize the style I like to ride, I'm looking for a BIT more playfulness/forgiveness. All along I planned on riding both. Using my Agent on days when I just wanna cruise around and carve stuff up, and using the new board for days I wanna explore off trail or hop around. The Agent is also really heavy. It probabaly has more to do with the bindings than the deck, as the deck alone didn't seem heavier than "normal"but the setup feels very weighty too me. I have Rome S-90 bindings on it. The weight, combined with the really stiff flex, just feels limited sometimes when I want to shoot through some trees or hop around. My concern is what you said though, since I learned on a camber board, and every board I've ridden of a friend's has been camber, I don't want to hop on one with rocker and feel TOO swirly. I'm expecting it to be looser, WANTING it to be actually, but I'm just worried about HOW much looser. Would a mid rocker board with camber at the ends be more catch-free than a traditional camber? I know boards like the Rome Factory Rocker, or the Agent Rocker, have their "mountain pop" profile which is rocker between the feet and camber outside of em.

Also, in terms of the Rome Mountain division, or the Lib Techs, those are way out of my price range. I was just at a board shop yesterday and there was a Mountain Divison there, $599.99. It's a DAMN good looking board, but given that I'm still trying to feel equipment out and see what I like or not, that's a REALLY a steep price for a deck. I'm not looking to spend more than $250-ish for the time being, until I know exactly what I like to invest $ in. Plus the Mountain Division is a REALLY weird profile. Camber from tail through the front inserts, then flat, then rockered in the nose, and it's a directional shape. That seems like switch riding would be really hard (especially since I'm still learning it) since it would be a totally different profile when switch. Camber in front with flat and rocker in back.
Old 11-02-2014, 10:23 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mammoth Lifty View Post
If you plan on taking it off any jumps or even pop ollies onto rails do not buy this board. My friend rides this board and he is utterly insane. I rode it a few times and its not fun unless your in powder or just buttering the whole mountain. The no hangups profile is a weird version of TBT that bataleon and lobster uses. That being said you might want to give it a try if you can get one on the cheap.
I can get a 154 2014 model Crossrocket for $199.99 brand new. That's the best I've seen, between $200 and $250. The 2015 is $480 most places. Same thing for the factory Rocker, a 2013 model is on Evo right now for $188 for some big anniversary sale.

I definitely don't wanna butter the whole mountain, and unfortunately powder days are the exception, not the rule lol. I'm about 3 1/2hrs away from the southern mountains in NH/VT. Ragged and Snow are about 3-3.5hrs, Loon and Bretton Woods are about 4-4.5, and Jay Peak was around 5.5hrs I think. So to go riding is usually planning ahead and when I can take time off. Last year that didn't match up with any of the powder dumps. I'm hoping for some this year, but powder is probabaly lowest on the list (besides park) of what I'll be riding most. An ideal run for me would be a lot of carves and slashes while throwing in some butter tricks here and there and hopping off/on trail as little tree paths or some side hits come up.
Old 11-02-2014, 10:24 PM   #10 (permalink)
Fire on Ice...and Powder!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent21 View Post
Sweet thanks guys. I just looked it up and Mount Snow in VT has a demo program where you can pay to test out gear (and then get a discount if you want to buy it), and it doesn't list the companies involved, but I'd assume Rome is one, as they're a VT company. I'm headed there the day after thanksgiving, so I may just try that out. For some reason I'm drawn to Rome boards. Not sure if it's because it was my first new board or what, but I just like them. I've ridden a Nitro (something, it was from 2000), a Ride fleetwood, an M3 something, a 161 rome Agent, and an older Rome (all friends boards), and I liked the Rome's, which is why I went with that for my first new board purchase.

I like my current board a lot, and it IS brand new basically (it's probabaly only been ridden 6 or 7 days total after I got it around February last season), it's just as Im starting to realize the style I like to ride, I'm looking for a BIT more playfulness/forgiveness. All along I planned on riding both. Using my Agent on days when I just wanna cruise around and carve stuff up, and using the new board for days I wanna explore off trail or hop around. The Agent is also really heavy. It probabaly has more to do with the bindings than the deck, as the deck alone didn't seem heavier than "normal"but the setup feels very weighty too me. I have Rome S-90 bindings on it. The weight, combined with the really stiff flex, just feels limited sometimes when I want to shoot through some trees or hop around. My concern is what you said though, since I learned on a camber board, and every board I've ridden of a friend's has been camber, I don't want to hop on one with rocker and feel TOO swirly. I'm expecting it to be looser, WANTING it to be actually, but I'm just worried about HOW much looser. Would a mid rocker board with camber at the ends be more catch-free than a traditional camber? I know boards like the Rome Factory Rocker, or the Agent Rocker, have their "mountain pop" profile which is rocker between the feet and camber outside of em.

Also, in terms of the Rome Mountain division, or the Lib Techs, those are way out of my price range. I was just at a board shop yesterday and there was a Mountain Divison there, $599.99. It's a DAMN good looking board, but given that I'm still trying to feel equipment out and see what I like or not, that's a REALLY a steep price for a deck. I'm not looking to spend more than $250-ish for the time being, until I know exactly what I like to invest $ in. Plus the Mountain Division is a REALLY weird profile. Camber from tail through the front inserts, then flat, then rockered in the nose, and it's a directional shape. That seems like switch riding would be really hard (especially since I'm still learning it) since it would be a totally different profile when switch. Camber in front with flat and rocker in back.
Yup, you ARE a "descriptive writer"!
I stopped reading each of your posts after the first two lines of each.
Might want to become a "brief and to the point" writer.
GreyDragon is offline   Reply With Quote