Help with board selection. - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2007, 12:02 AM   #1 (permalink)
EvilGenius

Default Help with board selection.

hey guys, just signed up to this forum, looking for advice on what board I should purchase, i'm 6'5, 245 Lbs, with a size 13 boot. I'm sure I would need a wide board. also, I just ride freestyle, no tricks, jumps, just riding on the mountain, basic, but I was researching on the Burton Bullet W 165, would that be a good choice? Also, i'm very worried about heel and toe drag, if anyone could help, that would be great, thanks.

Mike.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2007, 07:36 AM   #2 (permalink)
st.stark

What is your budget? Burton makes good boards, but so do other companies like Rome, Lib Tech, Ride, etc. Yeah, you will need a wide board, unless you have an extremely ducked out stance (I assume you don't if you ride mainly mountain). Also, just as a note, a more mountain based riding style is actually called freeride. Freestyle is riding in the park/pipe and hitting up rails. Hope this helps!
Old 10-31-2007, 10:58 PM   #3 (permalink)
EvilGenius

anyone have any other suggestions to what kind of wide board will fit?
Old 11-01-2007, 12:15 AM   #4 (permalink)
crustyjuggler

Just pull the hinges on your front door and screw some bindings on it. That should fit just right.

Seriously though, being as big as you are and with size 13 boats, I would recommend at least a 260mm waist on whatever board you decide on. Especially if you are just going all mountain. I have 11's and I can barely squeek by on a non-wide board.

If you are truly just using it as a cruiser, you could even get in the 170 range as far as lengh is concerned.
Old 11-01-2007, 12:31 AM   #5 (permalink)
crustyjuggler

Heres a recommendation.

Atomic Alibi Wide

Go for the 165. With a 269mm waist, it should fit 13's pretty easy. I love my Alibi but its a do-everything board. Not a strict cruiser.
Old 11-01-2007, 11:13 AM   #6 (permalink)
ductape

You should also look for a board with a stiffer flex at 245 lbs.
Old 11-01-2007, 01:53 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Ok, well I'm in your ballpark height, weight and bootsize wise. I'm 6'3" weigh in right now at about 240 and wear a size 13 boot. I don't know what type of $ you're looking to spend but a couple of boards I'd suggest over the Burton since I can't bring myself to recomend them due to many of the issues i've had in the past are a Rome Flag in a 168 which is what I picked up for this year, LibTech SkunkApe in a 167 which I almost went with but got scared off by the magnetraction having not tried it out. I was riding a Ride Decade 165 wide which is an excellent mid priced "all-mountain" board that I highly recommend for a beginner/intermediate rider, also if you want to pony up the extra $ you can go with a Ride Yukon which is the wide version of the Timeless or now TMS board. Very stiff and very fast board. I would have bought this had I not decided I wanted to try a different brand this time around. I'd also check out NeverSummer boards as they have a bunch of wide decks. For what you're doing though I'd go with either of the Ride's or The Rome that I recomended you will not be disappointed by any of them. If you look around on the Ride's you should also be able to find them on closeout from last season to save yourself some $$$
lisevolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 11:04 PM   #8 (permalink)
EvilGenius

I will look into those boards for sure, thanks, also, I was looking at the Option Booter, I heard many good things about that board, and saw a link on this website that has one on sale from last season, but i'm from Canada and don't know for sure if they'll ship to where I am.
Old 11-02-2007, 11:50 PM   #9 (permalink)
I3urtonfeind

Im not sure how much you want to spemd, but a great freerider that will stand up to your height, weight, and your experience. I give to you the Arbor Roundhoues.. GREAT board

Arbor Roundhouse Snowboard (Fall 2007) Moosejaw | North Face | Patagonia | Arcteryx