Centered Stance on a Directional Board - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2009, 01:36 PM   #1 (permalink)
iamthailand

Default Centered Stance on a Directional Board

While reading some websites regarding stances, I realized that I was mounting my bindings all wrong. I have a Rome Solution, a directional board. And since I ride switch on it, I configured my bindings to what I thought was "centered" - that being equidistant from the tip of the nose to the tip of the tail. I saw the markings on the board that said "centered" but disregarded it since it didn't seem like the center of the board to me. I'm an idiot, I know.

My question is, will moving my stance to the "centered" position marked on the board make much of a difference for me in terms of riding switch? And do other people out there follow the markings on their directional board as well for a centered stance?

Now I know why everybody gets true twins.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2009, 01:51 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

my last board was set back like an inch, with a radial side cut so i just centered it by the tip and tail and it was a way nicer board imo. it depends on the sidecut sometimes but with the solution i think you could wide it where you like it.
Burton [ak] 2l Cyclic Jacket
Holden Northfield 3L pants
jmacphee9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 01:53 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I tried to center the stance on a board that had a 1" setback and it felt weird riding it both regular and switch. I put it back to setback and it felt fine regular and funny goofy. The sidecut on a setback board accounts for the setback stance so you are better off leaving it setback.
redlude97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 02:00 PM   #4 (permalink)
snowdog

I'm going to say it's all personal preference. In general, while it may not be optimal, you will eventually adjust. My main board is a directional twin, with a setback of 15. Obviously riding switch will give different dynamics, but I've learned, adjusted, and through repetitive muscle memory, am getting proficient at switch on this board. You will prolly not get the most out of your skills and what the board is meant for, but's not like it's a big no no IMO.
Old 04-02-2009, 02:25 PM   #5 (permalink)
iamthailand

The DEFAULT markings on the board are setback an inch, I believe. I didn't go with the setback settings because I figured the CENTERED markings will make for an easier ride when switch. The way I had it "centered" previously, I didn't consider the effective edges and such. I assume being centered on the effective edge is ideal. I'll fiddle around with different configs and see what feels the best.
Old 04-02-2009, 06:08 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

yes. and like red said, the sidecut accounts for most of where the thing is setback.
Burton [ak] 2l Cyclic Jacket
Holden Northfield 3L pants
jmacphee9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 06:17 PM   #7 (permalink)
chanceM867

i also have a rome solution. im 5,6 and its a 148 and i know its a lil small for me but thats all i have to work with. i do just mainly part anyway. it says the board is set back 2 cm. i also tried the centered spots but it made my stance around 17 inches which was way to small and made it harder to stop. i kept my top binding at centered and moved my back one to where my stance is around 19 inches. it helps alot but i was wandering if anybody had advice to maximize use out of the board?
Old 04-02-2009, 06:44 PM   #8 (permalink)

It really does make a big difference when you center the stance and put your bindings in duck stance.
Technine Icon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 06:46 PM   #9 (permalink)
chanceM867

they are a duck stance but i was wandering if 17 or 19 inches wide would be the best
Old 04-02-2009, 06:49 PM   #10 (permalink)
SnowBun

personal preference, but 17 just sounds way too narrow.