Board repair advice - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2014, 08:09 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Board repair advice

I would like some advice on repairing this ride board. The lettering on the board is separating as you can see in the picture. All the light spots are where it is delaminating. I was heading down the hill and a piece came up and the board hit the brakes! A guy at the bottom cut it off with a bread knife for me. I can do fiberglass work but I would like to know what material to fill in with. Can I remove the in tact letters and re-glue them? Any help is appreciated. Thanks! And I know it would be easier to just buy a new board but honestly I enjoy this kind of work. just haven't messed with boards much.
mattman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2014, 08:17 PM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattman View Post
I would like some advice on repairing this ride board. The lettering on the board is separating as you can see in the picture. All the light spots are where it is delaminating. I was heading down the hill and a piece came up and the board hit the brakes! A guy at the bottom cut it off with a bread knife for me. I can do fiberglass work but I would like to know what material to fill in with. Can I remove the in tact letters and re-glue them? Any help is appreciated. Thanks! And I know it would be easier to just buy a new board but honestly I enjoy this kind of work. just haven't messed with boards much.
You can fill it with P-tex. However the p-tex loots to be separating itself from the core. I would honestly say get a new board because your boards life looks like its just going to be downhill from here.
Bamfboardman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 08:38 PM   #3 (permalink)

Ya, this is the problem with die cut bases. You would need to peel up all the letters and re-attach them with epoxy, which will only hold for a little while. And then you would need to fill in the hole were you cut away some of the die cut with a TON of p-tex that won't hold for long either but is semi-doable. No fiberglass work on the base. Sad news is the boards done. Good news is it gives you an excuse to buy a new one! Hopefully that's a positive you can take away...
lab49232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 08:47 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lab49232 View Post
Ya, this is the problem with die cut bases. You would need to peel up all the letters and re-attach them with epoxy, which will only hold for a little while. And then you would need to fill in the hole were you cut away some of the die cut with a TON of p-tex that won't hold for long either but is semi-doable. No fiberglass work on the base. Sad news is the boards done. Good news is it gives you an excuse to buy a new one! Hopefully that's a positive you can take away...
Not all die cuts, Just cheaply made ones.
Old 11-06-2014, 08:50 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamfboardman View Post
Not all die cuts, Just cheaply made ones.
Cheap ones do this 100% of the time, good and high quality die cuts only do it a small portion, but a normal base never does. They look cool but I've witnessed, repaired and thrown out die cut after die cut, and some on even the highest quality boards. It's just a risk with them and not worth it for me.
Old 11-06-2014, 08:51 PM   #6 (permalink)

Yeah I had a feeling it was probably done. Ive filled p-tex in gouges but thats a big chunk! I know some high end boards are die cut as well, is this a common thing in die cut or is this just a common sign of an old board? Thanks for the help, and yes it is a great reason to get a new board! it seems like it would be a pita job for it to only last a bit
Old 11-06-2014, 08:52 PM   #7 (permalink)

answered my question before i finished typing! thanks
Old 11-06-2014, 09:59 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lab49232 View Post
Cheap ones do this 100% of the time, good and high quality die cuts only do it a small portion, but a normal base never does. They look cool but I've witnessed, repaired and thrown out die cut after die cut, and some on even the highest quality boards. It's just a risk with them and not worth it for me.
I just feel like the majority of board are die cut.
Old 11-06-2014, 11:02 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamfboardman View Post
I just feel like the majority of board are die cut.
There are a lot out there for sure, but there are plenty that aren't. Die cuts prone to popping off is nothing new though and a common concern. It frankly amazes me so many companies still use them, but it is a much more poppy way to brand the base and branding is everything I guess. Signal die cuts I've probably seen blow out more than any others. My theory is with all the insane amount of rocker they have in their boards it's more stress on the die cut since its already so flexed but that's just a theory