Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums

Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/forum.php)
-   Boards (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/)
-   -   new here, and new board (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/15268-new-here-new-board.html)

maiden9494 04-04-2009 06:14 PM

new here, and new board

hey everyone ..i wanted to join a forum to figure out some stuff on boards and what you have to do to maintain them etc. I have been boarding 5 times in my life, this winter. Im over the rentals so i bought myself a 07 K2 select wide. seems like a great board, but just need some help to what i have to do with waxing and sharpening etc ? plus anything else i need to know with snowboarding and the equipment .. thanks

SB4L 04-04-2009 06:44 PM

Well you are definitely new here... Check the stickies in this sub-forum, they have everything you need so there is no need for us to regurgitate it all into this thread :thumbsup:

Flick Montana 04-04-2009 07:08 PM

Welcome to the boards. Check all the stickies out that are just above this thread and you will find everything you need to know.

maiden9494 04-17-2009 07:54 AM

thanks, just another thing.. the guy said it was no need to touch the edges or wax the board because the factory already did this. At the moment i don't have anything to wax or sharpen, detune the edges and i might take it out for a ride tomorrow for the last dday of the season.Is this a good idea, or should i wait and wax it again and detune and sharpen the edges?

kMc 04-17-2009 08:01 AM

im sure the edges are fine. factory wax sucks, so you should ideally wax it before riding, but if its just for the last day of the season i dont think its that huge of a deal.

MunkySpunk 04-17-2009 08:43 AM

If I may disagree regarding factory edges. I'm not sure what K2's factory bevels are, but depending on that and where you board, you may need to re-edge and detune. You're going to probably want a 1 degree base bevel as a beginner and possibly up to a 2 degree side edge bevel depending on the type of snow you predominantly board on.

kMc 04-17-2009 10:54 AM

i just dont feel like it's that big of a deal for one day, and shouldnt prevent him/her from riding. its something that should be looked into before next season for sure though, but i was just talking about for tomorrow.

Flick Montana 04-17-2009 11:49 AM

Factory wax will probably last you a day and I'm sure the edges won't ruin your day the way they are. But you might pick up some gear for the next trip. You save money in the end when you wax and tune the board yourself.

maiden9494 04-17-2009 03:49 PM

thanks for the replys.. i waxed the board not long ago, with an old iron, and i picked up some universal wax and a file. And as for the edges, im going to go ahead with it tomorrow and try it anyway. Going to pick up the tools to tune the edges during the summer seeings this is my last day tomorow. thanks again!

bubb_rubb 04-18-2009 01:33 PM

Personally, I like to detune my edges a little bit. On my last board they were razor sharp and it was a little sketchy the first day.