snowboard decision, advise appreciatiated. - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2009, 11:28 PM   #1 (permalink)
snowboardin2137

Default snowboard decision, advise appreciatiated.

Hey, im lookin for a new snowboard after my second year of riding, i consider myself an almost intermediate rider and i ride 45 percent park, 40 percent carving and bobming sown hills, and 15 percent powder.

I have researches many boards and the forum seeker seems to fit me well but doesnt seem to be too popular, i also was looking into a k2 believer. Which snowboard do you think would fit me best, or any other board suggestions also appreciated.

I do some boxes and almost no rails and pretty much no half pipe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2009, 09:23 AM   #2 (permalink)

If I was you id get a lib tech skate banana or any of there BTX series boards. Lib tech's reverse camber banana design gives the board 7 contact points. This gives the board the quick heel to toe transfers and great responsiveness. All the reviews I've read swear the reverse camber tech make it impossible to cacth edge on any surface. Allowing the board to conquer any pipe, rail or box in the park. Most park boards are soft for flexing (that I've read) but the banana has a natural flex from the reverse camber. From what I've read it still gives some flex but is not soft nor stiff. People tend to say it has just the right amount of stiffness. The boards added stiffness comes from its steel tip and tail. This helps the board to keep its tip above pow in the back country or on those powder days. I've literaly read every review on the banana tech boards and the only con ppl say is that its not as forgiveing on big jumps. Anyhow that's my 5 c's... I'm sold on the the board , I just need to find a shop to buy it from haha.
baseline6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 09:24 AM   #3 (permalink)
keabler

I would suggest a rocker, its going to make every thing easier (I would suggest a rocker to any one of any skill level)

now you have a few to choose from

signal park rocker - very very jib orientated
k2 www - very jib oriented
k2 jibpan - tranny and jib orientated
next years forum manuel - jib orientated (in my experience these decks are to stiff)
step child jib stick - jib oriented (I rode this deck this year and it felt very unstable)
next years burton party rocker - way to stiff
never summer evo-r - not as stiff as the party rocker but stiffer than the www this deck would ride well on jib and trannys.
lib tech skate banana - verry fun deck because of the magne-traction and a stiff enough for pow (this deck is fat as in has thick sidewalls)

I know I've missed some decks because pretty much every company has a rocker now but these are the decks that I have had experience with.
Old 04-05-2009, 09:33 AM   #4 (permalink)
keabler

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseline6 View Post
If I was you id get a lib tech skate banana or any of there BTX series boards. Lib tech's reverse camber banana design gives the board 7 contact points. This gives the board the quick heel to toe transfers and great responsiveness. All the reviews I've read swear the reverse camber tech make it impossible to cacth edge on any surface. Allowing the board to conquer any pipe, rail or box in the park. Most park boards are soft for flexing (that I've read) but the banana has a natural flex from the reverse camber. From what I've read it still gives some flex but is not soft nor stiff. People tend to say it has just the right amount of stiffness. The boards added stiffness comes from its steel tip and tail. This helps the board to keep its tip above pow in the back country or on those powder days. I've literaly read every review on the banana tech boards and the only con ppl say is that its not as forgiveing on big jumps. Anyhow that's my 5 c's... I'm sold on the the board , I just need to find a shop to buy it from haha.
The skate banana is nice but its not this holy grail of boards you talk about. For 1 lib doesn't seal their cores so they go bad faster, and they dont put metal edge around the nose and tail so if you run into somthing you have a very good chance to delam you deck. also I have found that the top sheets for lib's are kind of brittle (meaning if you land funny and you flex your nose or tail quite a bit you will probably crack (not spider crack) but crack your top sheet.

The magne-traction is nice but there are other companies that are doing a similar thing, and skate banana's are pretty spendy when you compare them to decks that have similar capabilities.

dont get me wrong the skate banana is a fun deck, and does perform well at high speeds as well as on jib, and in pow, but for me their durability to price ratio isnt very good because i'm super hard on decks.
Old 04-05-2009, 09:47 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by keabler View Post
The skate banana is nice but its not this holy grail of boards you talk about. For 1 lib doesn't seal their cores so they go bad faster, and they dont put metal edge around the nose and tail so if you run into somthing you have a very good chance to delam you deck. also I have found that the top sheets for lib's are kind of brittle (meaning if you land funny and you flex your nose or tail quite a bit you will probably crack (not spider crack) but crack your top sheet.

The magne-traction is nice but there are other companies that are doing a similar thing, and skate banana's are pretty spendy when you compare them to decks that have similar capabilities.

dont get me wrong the skate banana is a fun deck, and does perform well at high speeds as well as on jib, and in pow, but for me their durability to price ratio isnt very good because i'm super hard on decks.

damn i read they were durable boards too... I didnt know the top sheets were so sensitive and prone to cracking thnx for the info... 1 review i did read though a guy split his tip running into something and Lib covered it with the warranty and sent him a new board in the same week
baseline6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 09:52 AM   #6 (permalink)
keabler

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseline6 View Post
damn i read they were durable boards too... I didnt know the top sheets were so sensitive and prone to cracking thnx for the info... 1 review i did read though a guy split his tip running into something and Lib covered it with the warranty and sent him a new board in the same week

if you plan on riding jib, most companies say that just touching a rail voids their warranty (this is what i was told when i took my deck in because riding jib is "abusing" your snowboard), same with cracks along your binding, for this most companies label this type of damage as abuse, and do not cover it.
Old 04-05-2009, 01:10 PM   #7 (permalink)

Lib's are great, but you should also look into Bataleons. Goliath or Riot would suit you well. Plus i have yet to hear a bad review about them, and it's supposed to be nearly impossible to catch an edge on a Bataleon TBT base(even less likely than rocker/banana).
Old 04-05-2009, 01:52 PM   #8 (permalink)
macklaws1

everyone seems to be stuck on all these jib boards that won't do very well in pow or bombing runs which according to the op he does 60% of the time. Out of all the boards suggested the Never Summer Evo-R would be best suited, but I think the Believer would be good for you as it is more of a freestyle deck that can handle the mountain. Especially if you're not really concerned with rails too much. Consider the Evo-R too tho.
Old 04-05-2009, 01:52 PM   #9 (permalink)
snowboardin2137

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondCarver View Post
Lib's are great, but you should also look into Bataleons. Goliath or Riot would suit you well. Plus i have yet to hear a bad review about them, and it's supposed to be nearly impossible to catch an edge on a Bataleon TBT base(even less likely than rocker/banana).
Ok, i just found a batalean riot 2008 for 122, so whats the difference between the 2008 and 2009 and is it worth paying extra, also, i thought the goliath was for big feet
Old 04-05-2009, 02:15 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowboardin2137 View Post
Ok, i just found a batalean riot 2008 for 122, so whats the difference between the 2008 and 2009 and is it worth paying extra, also, i thought the goliath was for big feet
Just the graphics. Other than that, same great board as this years. What are your stats? Anything size 9 or above should work on the Goliath.