Need help in deciding on a snowboard build - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2014, 09:18 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Need help in deciding on a snowboard build

Hi all, appreciate all of your help in helping me figure this out.

My case:

I live in a country where there is no snow but i am learning in an indoor ski resort. I can link turns and im starting to learn how to jump (off a flat surface, apparently there are no jumps in the resort). Im planning to buy my own snowboard now but i have to ship it from outside since the collection here is very limited. I guess the type of board they rent to us is a flat camber board, but for sure i know its not good for anything but learning. I looked at the Burton Nug snowboard since it has a hybrid camber and could be used for everything but seems kind of expensive. Also, im planning to do a ski trip to a country with mountains so i dont want a board limited for an indoor resort. can i have any advice on a snowboard and binding configuration? I like to have sharp turns and i really like jumping but dont think would get into jibs. Also, i have no chance to demo before i buy.

Appreciate your feedback
maarafic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2014, 12:43 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Welcome. We'll need some more info, at least your weight and foot size. Good call with a hybrid. I think your best bet would be to try and find a board from last year so you can get a huge discount on it. At this point I wouldn't worry about brands so much, I'd be looking at price, camber profile, stiffness and freestyle vs freeride.
freshy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 02:59 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by freshy View Post
Welcome. We'll need some more info, at least your weight and foot size. Good call with a hybrid. I think your best bet would be to try and find a board from last year so you can get a huge discount on it. At this point I wouldn't worry about brands so much, I'd be looking at price, camber profile, stiffness and freestyle vs freeride.
thanks for your reply, my weight is 96 kg however im only 166 cm tall [shoe size is 44]. i used to ride a 145 size board and im happy with its length, tried the 150 and was uncomfortable. the problem is i never tried any other board than the training one and wouldnt know the difference between freestyle and freeride since i didnt go to the mountains yet but i feel like i would like buttering and jumping in addition to carving but not jibbing or half pipes. im most probably gonna ship the board from the US so my best bet would be online shops such as evo and sadly enough the 145s are rare [Nug was one of the very few hybrids i found as a 146 but its 420$ without the bindings . any more info you require ? im guessing for buttering i need something with low stiffness?
Old 11-12-2014, 04:59 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

You are very similar to my weight and shoe size 96 kg = 211 Lbs and 44 = 11 US shoe size, but I'm like 10 cm taller. 45 or even 50 cm is waaaay to short for you. I'd say get a 55 at least or go bigger. But then again you made a good compromise with the nug as it has the surface area of a longer board but is wider and shorter. I recently picked up a Yes 420 which is a 52 but has the surface area of a 64. That is my second board for powder days tho, wouldent want it for a daily driver.

Sounds like you want a freestyle board, twin shape, centered bindings and usually on the softer side. Freeride is more for powder, setback stance and usually stiffer. Both can be used all over the mountain but freestyle is more at home in the park and freeride is better suited for the steep and deeps as a general rule of thumb.

Personally I would be looking for something in the 55-60 range with about a 25 cm waist. Sure you felt uncomfortable on a 50 but once you get better you will quickly outgrow it, with something longer you will eventually get used to it and then keep progressing. A shorter board will be easier to turn but will feel very unstable at high speed. A shorter board will also wash out easier with butters and presses.

As far as bindings generally you want to match it with the stiffness of the board but a mid stiff binder is a very good middle ground to give you the stability you want yet remain playful.

The most MOST important piece of kit will be your boots. If you plan to save money anywhere and get something cheaper make sure it's not on the boots. Try to try on as many pairs as you can and get something that is comfortable because you can have the best board and bindings money can buy but if you feet hurt you will not enjoy it.

I don't really have any specific recommendations on boards tho because I tend to pretty much only ride trees and steeps and prefer cambered boards.

But if your set on a short fat board like the Nug, the Yes 420 is similar. But both are nearly impossible to find from last year and difficult enough to find the current models.

Last edited by freshy; 11-12-2014 at 05:05 PM.
freshy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 11:42 PM   #5 (permalink)

Ah, then ill try the 150 this weekend and try to stick to it for the whole session. expected high amounts of pain in the ass area haha :P. and man i thought the boots was the price cutting piece . well lets check about the size of the board before going with buying one. As for trying the boots, too bad i dont have that as an option except for the couple of boots found in the resort shop which are double the price of online ones. a 160$ pair is about 300$ in this shop -.-.
Old 11-23-2014, 12:56 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by freshy View Post
You are very similar to my weight and shoe size 96 kg = 211 Lbs and 44 = 11 US shoe size, but I'm like 10 cm taller. 45 or even 50 cm is waaaay to short for you. I'd say get a 55 at least or go bigger. But then again you made a good compromise with the nug as it has the surface area of a longer board but is wider and shorter. I recently picked up a Yes 420 which is a 52 but has the surface area of a 64. That is my second board for powder days tho, wouldent want it for a daily driver.

Sounds like you want a freestyle board, twin shape, centered bindings and usually on the softer side. Freeride is more for powder, setback stance and usually stiffer. Both can be used all over the mountain but freestyle is more at home in the park and freeride is better suited for the steep and deeps as a general rule of thumb.

Personally I would be looking for something in the 55-60 range with about a 25 cm waist. Sure you felt uncomfortable on a 50 but once you get better you will quickly outgrow it, with something longer you will eventually get used to it and then keep progressing. A shorter board will be easier to turn but will feel very unstable at high speed. A shorter board will also wash out easier with butters and presses.

As far as bindings generally you want to match it with the stiffness of the board but a mid stiff binder is a very good middle ground to give you the stability you want yet remain playful.

The most MOST important piece of kit will be your boots. If you plan to save money anywhere and get something cheaper make sure it's not on the boots. Try to try on as many pairs as you can and get something that is comfortable because you can have the best board and bindings money can buy but if you feet hurt you will not enjoy it.

I don't really have any specific recommendations on boards tho because I tend to pretty much only ride trees and steeps and prefer cambered boards.

But if your set on a short fat board like the Nug, the Yes 420 is similar. But both are nearly impossible to find from last year and difficult enough to find the current models.
I finally tried the 154, the size was comfy and didnt limit my movement and as you said it increased my stability. I was even able to do a 360 turn (on ground) without falling [Finally]. but they gave me a wide board. for size 11 boots is it recommended to get a wide board always? and whats the difference between a soft and medium binding? [If i wna go for the Nug i should go for a 150 length? or 154 is possible?]