Recommended snowboard stores in NYC? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2009, 03:05 PM   #1 (permalink)
erangi

Question Recommended snowboard stores in NYC?

Hi,

I'm going to be in New York next month for two weeks, and would like to buy some snowboarding equipment. I'm a medium level snowboarder, and spend most of the time on peast or on mild off-peast (no snowparks and freestyling). I'm looking for a snowboard and shoes that will fit my needs and size (6 feet, 165 lb, shoe size 13).

Basically, I can probably find what I need in almost every equipment store. The catch is this: if I have to choose between quality and price, I'll go with the price. OTOH, I'm no expert, and would really like the seller to be one - and be honest enough not to rip me off.

So, what I'm looking for is a short list of stores in NYC where I can get decent equipment in good price AND have the sellers suggest the right stuff for me rather than some next-season-best-ever pricy stuff. Any recommendations?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2009, 08:00 AM   #2 (permalink)
carloa

check out paragon sports, prob the best selection in nyc. the only issue is i dont know if they'll have any stock out by the time you get here since it's the end of the season. it'll prob be that way for all stores in nyc. good luck!!

just google 'paragon sports nyc' and you'll find the address :-D
Old 04-06-2009, 08:40 AM   #3 (permalink)

Your best bet this late in the year is the Burton store in SOHO. Board and Blades in the village or NYPD New York Pipe Dreams on 83street I think.
laz167 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 09:20 AM   #4 (permalink)
SnowBun

Blades on the corner of Broadway & Bond, Paragon in Union Square (although I think they have horrible selection), Emilio's Ski Shop in Queens, NYPD. Most places are not going to have much now considering it's April and the season is over. If you're really desperate you can check out the Burton store, but everything there will be at MSRP. They do have a ton of stuff though
Old 04-06-2009, 12:25 PM   #5 (permalink)

There are no good snowboard stores in nyc. Even in the height of the season, the selections are limited, terrible prices, high sales tax, retarded sales staff. Online is the only place to shop.
pencap75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 02:06 PM   #6 (permalink)
SnowBun

Unless you personally know the manager of the store

Oh and FYI... Blades does price matching.
Old 04-06-2009, 02:21 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

OP, where do you live normally? If you live in the continental US, just order stuff online and have it shipped to your home. Much cheaper and better selection than from any board store in NYC. However, if you'll be in NYC while on vacation from another country, you might want to consider ordering your gear just before you leave on vacation and having it sent to the hotel you'll be staying in.
DC5R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 02:29 PM   #8 (permalink)
iamthailand

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowBun View Post
Oh and FYI... Blades does price matching.
Do they price match with online retailers?

If you're willing to venture outside of the city, there's a shop I like to go to called SnoHaus in Hempstead, Long Island. There's a 44 Boards shop there that handles all the snowboarding equipment. Decent selection and fantastic and knowledgeable customer service. If you give them a chance, they'll talk about snowboards for hours on end with you. Unfortunately since it's not a huge shop, their inventory is pretty much depleted for the year. I find it worthwhile to drop by anyway if I'm in the area to shoot the breeze with those guys. Definitely call in advance just to make sure the haven't closed up shop for the summer.
Old 04-06-2009, 02:31 PM   #9 (permalink)
SnowBun

Yes. You just bring them a printout of the page that lists the price & item description.
Old 04-06-2009, 02:32 PM   #10 (permalink)
SnowBun

There's not enough of a customer base in NYC to really have many stores with large inventories. You really are better off getting your stuff online.