Did I buy the right board? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2014, 01:33 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Did I buy the right board?

So they had a sale here at the school (EPFL), and I managed to snag a Jones Carbon flagship for some 600 CHF, (about 620$). Didn't actually know if it was a good deal at the time, but seemed nice and in retrospect it looks like it was a nice deal.

I've been riding for some 10 years (am 23). For the last 8 years I rode a way short and soft Elan board of 148 cm. It was due time to upgrade and I didn't even bring it from Sweden here to Switzerland. I never ride park and I usually go fast carving in the pists or sometimes offpist and I am hoping to learn some more offpisting and freeriding during my year here in Switzerland.

So the thing is, I'm thinking if it may be too long. I am only 170 cm, but I got the 161 board (there was no 158). Although I weigh some 74-75 kilo so that may weigh up for it (?) (pun intended).
So did I buy a way too long board or will there be no problem?
Lilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2014, 01:49 PM   #2 (permalink)

Doesn't matter now you've bought it. Learn to ride it, it'll be fine
JetLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 01:55 PM   #3 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

it's gonna be big, but you can manage. I'm 6'0 (182cm) and my pow board is a 159 just for comparison
Old 11-13-2014, 01:58 PM   #4 (permalink)

So those 3-5 cm doesn't really matter too much? Good!
The thing is, I've never cared much for the gear, I've just ridden so even though I've been riding for a couple of years I really have no clue when it comes to lengths, stance widths, setbacks and whatnot, I've only ridden and if something feels weird I've adjusted it. So I'll def know how it is when I hit the slopes, but I can't really tell from the numbers.. getting really excited to try it now!

And one more thing, boots are back in Sweden and the bottom is breaking loose due to my Flows. So apart from a really good fit (the most important), which models should I be looking at to get some good stiff boots matching the board and the bindings (also got a pair of Now Drive)?
Lilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 02:03 PM   #5 (permalink)

i am 6'0" so according to snowowl i am 182 cm and i ride a 163. in fact, i wouldn't even hesitate to strap on a 170. i don't know if i would ever buy one unless i was competing in boardercross on a professional level but i'm sure i'd be able to ride it without any problems
SkullAndXbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 02:03 PM   #6 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilk View Post
So those 3-5 cm doesn't really matter too much?

And one more thing, boots are back in Sweden and the bottom is breaking loose due to my Flows. So apart from a really good fit (the most important), which models should I be looking at to get some good stiff boots matching the board and the bindings (also got a pair of Now Drive)?
Yes and no. it isn't just lenght, it's also deck width and flex changes. Turn initiation will just take some getting used to, nothing too big though. As for boots? W.e. fits your feet comfortably, but I always lean to K2 Maysis for a stiffer boot since that's my "stiff" boot
Old 11-13-2014, 02:29 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Trust me, in 5 years you'll be heavy enough for that board
Manicmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 02:45 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I think you will like it. I weight a bit less than you and I ride a longer board than that (by just a bit on both counts).
deagol is offline   Reply With Quote