Westmark vs. Villain - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2014, 12:26 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Westmark vs. Villain

Been looking for a solid park board that I can also take onto the groomers and muck around on, narrowed it down to these two. I'm sure either will be great, just looking for some last minute input to possibly sway me.

Arbor Westmark: $395
156 or 159

Salomon Villain: $470
155 or 158

I weigh 195ish. Also have a 158 machete right now. Thanks ladies and gents
JetLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2014, 10:51 AM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Do you want rocker or camber?
Nivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 11:29 AM   #3 (permalink)

Not opposed to either. Most of my boards in the past have been camber besides the machete obviously and a v rocker burton I had. The v rocker was fun but too washy/chattering for anything other than mucking around and buttering. It might come down to what I can get at the shops here. Was hoping someone could comment on the ride of either

Last edited by JetLife; 11-14-2014 at 11:31 AM.
Old 11-14-2014, 12:43 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I ride the Villain and I like it.
speedjason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 01:05 PM   #5 (permalink)

I had a 2013 Westmark 153 then a 2013 Villain Classicks 153, I weigh around 140 pounds.

I was extremely happy with the Westmark, but the board was just destroyed in less than one season (about 75 days) and felt a little too washy in retrospect. They switched to an extruded base that year, not sure if it's still the same this year.

The Villain is my favourite board right now. It just feels so poppy compared to everything I've ridden and holds carves so much better. I feel like my riding really progressed with this board. Landing spins in the park (not rotating after landing) has become a lot easier and I find it easier to butter.

Both boards float pretty well, although I nosedived a few times when we had heavy/20"+ fresh. I was much more comfortable charging on the Villain. The Villain was also much more comfortable in the park. I'm guessing it would hold an edge on ice a lot better, but I didn't really ride much.

I'll probably be picking up a 155 Assassin (slightly stiffer/same "rock-out camber" profile) this week.

Are you keeping the Machete? The 155 vs 158 is terrain/style dependent.
luckboxing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 01:07 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckboxing View Post
I was extremely happy with the Westmark, but the board was just destroyed in less than one season (about 75 days)
I've also been disappointed with Arbor's durability. Take that for what it's worth.
Old 11-14-2014, 01:23 PM   #7 (permalink)

The westmark has an extruded base this year. Ya I looked around and saw multiple people say that their arbor got beat up easily. I'm keeping the machete as it's pretty damn stiff, this one is replacing my noodle; 155 burton hero. I'm leaning towards the villain. The recommended weight range is 121lb-187lb (155) and 143lb-198lb (158)
Old 11-14-2014, 02:09 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I will comment a bit even though i havent ridden either board. So take it as is
I have never heard a single bad comment about the Villain. On the contrary... everyone who has ridden it recommended it to me.

But the two profiles will feel different, so it depends on what you want out of the board and your conditions. Also, if you find the Machete too stiff it may be worth thinking about it; unless you mean the Machete GT?

The Westmark will be better for less aggressive riding, good for buttering, skate-type ollies (the kind where you load the tail for pop), and general float in powder.

Villain better for a bit of more all mountain charging performance. It's not overly aggressive but it should feel noticeably more stable and grippy than the Westmark. Will take a bit more effort to jib and load the tail/tip but should have better pop off jumps (the kind you jump with both feet). Sintered base is faster if you take care of it. But from what i remember is about as stiff as the Machete.

So i guess, for more mellow jibby floaty powederish riding = Westmark
For more aggressive park all-mtn groomer riding = Villain
F1EA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 02:59 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1EA View Post
I will comment a bit even though i havent ridden either board. So take it as is
I have never heard a single bad comment about the Villain. On the contrary... everyone who has ridden it recommended it to me.

But the two profiles will feel different, so it depends on what you want out of the board and your conditions. Also, if you find the Machete too stiff it may be worth thinking about it; unless you mean the Machete GT?

The Westmark will be better for less aggressive riding, good for buttering, skate-type ollies (the kind where you load the tail for pop), and general float in powder.

Villain better for a bit of more all mountain charging performance. It's not overly aggressive but it should feel noticeably more stable and grippy than the Westmark. Will take a bit more effort to jib and load the tail/tip but should have better pop off jumps (the kind you jump with both feet). Sintered base is faster if you take care of it. But from what i remember is about as stiff as the Machete.

So i guess, for more mellow jibby floaty powederish riding = Westmark
For more aggressive park all-mtn groomer riding = Villain
Villain's as stiff as the machete eh? It's not that I find the machete too stiff it's that I find it too stifff for buttering and urban stuff. Great on groomers and bigger jumps though. As for conditions it'll be mostly the park in the city here and some urban stuff. Then a bit of out west riding (banff area).
Old 11-14-2014, 03:16 PM   #10 (permalink)

F1EA, sure you aren't thinking of the Assassin? Salomon calls the Villain a jib board and rates it 4/10 flex.
luckboxing is offline   Reply With Quote