Edges seem pretty badly rusted... - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2014, 08:44 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Edges seem pretty badly rusted...

I guess I didn't store my snowboard properly as the edges are pretty rusted.

If a drop it at a store for a proper tuning, should it take over the edges? The snowboard is only about a year old so I obviously want to still ride it etc.
andy_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2014, 10:32 AM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_d View Post
I guess I didn't store my snowboard properly as the edges are pretty rusted.

If a drop it at a store for a proper tuning, should it take over the edges? The snowboard is only about a year old so I obviously want to still ride it etc.
Have you tried anything to get the rust off? Like steel wool or Brillo pads?

Where do you live, and where did you store your board? (Just curious as to what conditions could cause that much rust in a fairly short time)

davidj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 10:35 AM   #3 (permalink)

I live in New York. I dried out my board and stored it in my snowboarding bag back in May on my last ride

I haven't tried those options as I don't own either. Would a good tune take care of it then? I don't know how to do it myself but do want to learn. I just rather do it with someone as opposed to watching videos. Will be going to a learning session at REI in January.
Old 11-16-2014, 10:37 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
I live in New York. I dried out my board and stored it in my snowboarding bag back in May on my last ride

I haven't tried those options as I don't own either. Would a good tune take care of it then? I don't know how to do it myself but do want to learn. I just rather do it with someone as opposed to watching videos. Will be going to a learning session at REI in January.
Yup. A board shop will take care of it for ya.

davidj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 10:40 AM   #5 (permalink)

Ok appreciate the help!
Old 11-16-2014, 10:45 AM   #6 (permalink)
Not quite reformed yet

Unless you've got rust eating holes in the edges,..? It'll proly come of after your first few runs. If the edges are dull? Then get it tuned. If not? a gummy stone, cheap steel wool, or do nothing and let the snow scrape it off!

As for storage,..? I was told early on NOT to store it airtight in the bag. Condensation can and will occur to surface rust the edges. If you put the board in your bag? Don't zip it all the way. Let the air flow in and out.

Also,.. Just because you board was dry,… Did your bag have any residual moisture soaked into it after all season? Padded? Non?

2012/13 (48) days out!
2013/14 (44) days out!
2014/15
chomps1211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 10:46 AM   #7 (permalink)

All good questions - I can't say for sure since it's been a few months but I'll definitely keep that in mind going forward.

But I'm confused too on storing. I read you shouldn't leave it out and about as well because of humidity condensation over the summer
Old 11-16-2014, 10:51 AM   #8 (permalink)
Not quite reformed yet

Quote:
All good questions - I can't say for sure since it's been a few months but I'll definitely keep that in mind going forward.

But I'm confused too on storing. I read you shouldn't leave it out and about as well because of humidity condensation over the summer
Unless you're in florida or the tropics somewhere,.. Exposed to sea air or some such? I really wouldn't sweat it too much. I've got three boards. One bag. So two boards stay out always. I've had them stored in my room for the summer and also left them stored in the garage all summer. (…and MI. gets fairly humid come summer!) It is surface rust and not really a big deal.

It would maybe become a problem if you left them unused for several seasons and really gave the rust a chance to start rotting into the edges! Otherwise, don't over think this. Go ahead and store it in the bag. It's good protection from dirt, dust, dings & whatnot! If the rust bothers, just leave the zipper open a few inches for some airflow!

2012/13 (48) days out!
2013/14 (44) days out!
2014/15

Last edited by chomps1211; 11-16-2014 at 10:59 AM.
Old 11-16-2014, 11:03 AM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

You can also collect all those little white packets that come in boxes of things like shoes and toss a few of those in. I'd say some rice but that isn't so good for pest control.
f00bar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 11:07 AM   #10 (permalink)
Not quite reformed yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by f00bar View Post
You can also collect all those little white packets that come in boxes of things like shoes and toss a few of those in. I'd say some rice but that isn't so good for pest control.
Yeah, No Shit, eh? A little surface rust would be nothing compared to rat chewed edges!

2012/13 (48) days out!
2013/14 (44) days out!
2014/15