Edges seem pretty badly rusted... - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2014, 08:44 AM   #1 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 170
Default Edges seem pretty badly rusted...

I guess I didn't store my snowboard properly as the edges are pretty rusted.

If a drop it at a store for a proper tuning, should it take over the edges? The snowboard is only about a year old so I obviously want to still ride it etc.
andy_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-16-2014, 10:32 AM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
davidj's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 431
Blog Entries: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_d View Post
I guess I didn't store my snowboard properly as the edges are pretty rusted.

If a drop it at a store for a proper tuning, should it take over the edges? The snowboard is only about a year old so I obviously want to still ride it etc.
Have you tried anything to get the rust off? Like steel wool or Brillo pads?

Where do you live, and where did you store your board? (Just curious as to what conditions could cause that much rust in a fairly short time)
__________________
"It all started with one breath. One tiny little gasping intake of air and our rescue had begun." -Sarah MacIntosh

davidj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 10:35 AM   #3 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 170
Default

I live in New York. I dried out my board and stored it in my snowboarding bag back in May on my last ride

I haven't tried those options as I don't own either. Would a good tune take care of it then? I don't know how to do it myself but do want to learn. I just rather do it with someone as opposed to watching videos. Will be going to a learning session at REI in January.
andy_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 10:37 AM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
davidj's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 431
Blog Entries: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_d View Post
I live in New York. I dried out my board and stored it in my snowboarding bag back in May on my last ride

I haven't tried those options as I don't own either. Would a good tune take care of it then? I don't know how to do it myself but do want to learn. I just rather do it with someone as opposed to watching videos. Will be going to a learning session at REI in January.
Yup. A board shop will take care of it for ya.
__________________
"It all started with one breath. One tiny little gasping intake of air and our rescue had begun." -Sarah MacIntosh

davidj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 10:40 AM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 170
Default

Ok appreciate the help!
andy_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 10:45 AM   #6 (permalink)
Not quite reformed yet
 
chomps1211's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: S.E. Mich.
Posts: 4,229
Default

Unless you've got rust eating holes in the edges,..? It'll proly come of after your first few runs. If the edges are dull? Then get it tuned. If not? a gummy stone, cheap steel wool, or do nothing and let the snow scrape it off!

As for storage,..? I was told early on NOT to store it airtight in the bag. Condensation can and will occur to surface rust the edges. If you put the board in your bag? Don't zip it all the way. Let the air flow in and out.

Also,.. Just because you board was dry,… Did your bag have any residual moisture soaked into it after all season? Padded? Non?
__________________
You're only Young Once,.. but you can be Immature FOREVER!

2012/13 (48) days out!
2013/14 (44) days out!
2014/15
chomps1211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 10:46 AM   #7 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 170
Default

All good questions - I can't say for sure since it's been a few months but I'll definitely keep that in mind going forward.

But I'm confused too on storing. I read you shouldn't leave it out and about as well because of humidity condensation over the summer
andy_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 10:51 AM   #8 (permalink)
Not quite reformed yet
 
chomps1211's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: S.E. Mich.
Posts: 4,229
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_d View Post
All good questions - I can't say for sure since it's been a few months but I'll definitely keep that in mind going forward.

But I'm confused too on storing. I read you shouldn't leave it out and about as well because of humidity condensation over the summer
Unless you're in florida or the tropics somewhere,.. Exposed to sea air or some such? I really wouldn't sweat it too much. I've got three boards. One bag. So two boards stay out always. I've had them stored in my room for the summer and also left them stored in the garage all summer. (…and MI. gets fairly humid come summer!) It is surface rust and not really a big deal.


It would maybe become a problem if you left them unused for several seasons and really gave the rust a chance to start rotting into the edges! Otherwise, don't over think this. Go ahead and store it in the bag. It's good protection from dirt, dust, dings & whatnot! If the rust bothers, just leave the zipper open a few inches for some airflow!
__________________
You're only Young Once,.. but you can be Immature FOREVER!

2012/13 (48) days out!
2013/14 (44) days out!
2014/15

Last edited by chomps1211; 11-16-2014 at 10:59 AM.
chomps1211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 11:03 AM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
f00bar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Western Mass
Posts: 742
Default

You can also collect all those little white packets that come in boxes of things like shoes and toss a few of those in. I'd say some rice but that isn't so good for pest control.
f00bar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 11:07 AM   #10 (permalink)
Not quite reformed yet
 
chomps1211's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: S.E. Mich.
Posts: 4,229
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by f00bar View Post
You can also collect all those little white packets that come in boxes of things like shoes and toss a few of those in. I'd say some rice but that isn't so good for pest control.
Yeah, No Shit, eh? A little surface rust would be nothing compared to rat chewed edges!
__________________
You're only Young Once,.. but you can be Immature FOREVER!

2012/13 (48) days out!
2013/14 (44) days out!
2014/15
chomps1211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:42 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums