Weight issue with freestyle boards - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2009, 03:47 AM   #1 (permalink)
chrizz1984

Default Weight issue with freestyle boards

Hey everyone!

I am riding snowboard since 8 years now and would like to get a freestyle board. My current board is a Burton Baron 167. So quite big for park action. My problem is that I am 6'3, boot size 12 and about 210-220 lbs (equals 95-100kg). I would like to get a board from Lib Tech or GNU with magnetraction.

My to options so far:

GNU Riders choice MTX wide 158 or 162

Lib Tech Dark Series MTX 161 wide

But my concern is my weight. Lib Tech says about the appropriate weight for the Dark Series 135+ ... is that in kg or lbs? GNU doesnt have any weight informations in their board specs at all...

What do you think about the weight issue? Is 158 to small? Will I feel a huge difference when I reduce my board lenght just 5cm?

Cheers

Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2009, 05:34 AM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrizz1984 View Post
Hey everyone!

I am riding snowboard since 8 years now and would like to get a freestyle board. My current board is a Burton Baron 167. So quite big for park action. My problem is that I am 6'3, boot size 12 and about 210-220 lbs (equals 95-100kg). I would like to get a board from Lib Tech or GNU with magnetraction.

My to options so far:

GNU Riders choice MTX wide 158 or 162

Lib Tech Dark Series MTX 161 wide

But my concern is my weight. Lib Tech says about the appropriate weight for the Dark Series 135+ ... is that in kg or lbs? GNU doesnt have any weight informations in their board specs at all...

What do you think about the weight issue? Is 158 to small? Will I feel a huge difference when I reduce my board lenght just 5cm?

Cheers

Chris

chris, generally speaking i would lien towards lib over a gnu (even though they are both mervin decks), lib tends to use higher grade materials, as well as better geometries than that of gnu.

given your weight and height (lib and gnu use pounds not kilos), i would recommend lib's dark series. the dark series uses a vertical wood/grain lay-up, making the board stiffer (something very beneficial to your weight and height). i would also steer you towards a 161 with btx, as the rocker will make for a more versatile ride in the pow on top of it's .5'' offset stance.

the rider's choice, a fun board, is going to noodle out on you fairly quickly which means it will have a propensity to skip out during high speed runs (or so i have found-and i weight 165lbs and am 6'1).

regardless of which deck you end up on (dark series or a rider's choice), you are going to enjoy it.
COtoUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 08:46 AM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

im 6'1 225 and ride both a banana 156 and a riders choice 154.5 all over the mtn. numerous times this year ive taken the 156 out in 2 feet plus of fresh. i personally prefer the gnu as its a tad stiffer than the skate banana but both are great boards and have held up well.. a freind of mine rides the lib dark series and takes it all ovfer the mtn as well ...a gr8 board as well it seems..
burritosandsnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 02:10 PM   #4 (permalink)

your weight is almost irrelevant unless you are way light for a deck, i am over 200 and i ride all kinds of boards, fish 160, malolo 66, hero 158, uninc 160 etc. if you are a bigger guy and riding a softer board you have to change your technique a bit and expect the board not to rail like a stiffer longer board, but unless you are horrible at snowboarding you will figure it out

be wary of people who want to attribute technique characteristics to boards, like saying it 'skips out" or doesn't have much pop or can't hold an edge etc, this is mostly nonsense as if you took 10 different people and put them on the same board they are not likely to agree on anything about it, and if a board skips out on turns well then its the rider, not the board

your baron is a beast, softer nose than tail and very stiff torsinally, if you want to get more into a freestyle sort of ride pick a board that is first: wide enough and second: more twin like in shape and construction, other than that just pick whatever fits that criteria and stokes you out
Incogneato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 02:22 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incogneato View Post
your weight is almost irrelevant unless you are way light for a deck, i am over 200 and i ride all kinds of boards, fish 160, malolo 66, hero 158, uninc 160 etc. if you are a bigger guy and riding a softer board you have to change your technique a bit and expect the board not to rail like a stiffer longer board, but unless you are horrible at snowboarding you will figure it out

be wary of people who want to attribute technique characteristics to boards, like saying it 'skips out" or doesn't have much pop or can't hold an edge etc, this is mostly nonsense as if you took 10 different people and put them on the same board they are not likely to agree on anything about it, and if a board skips out on turns well then its the rider, not the board

your baron is a beast, softer nose than tail and very stiff torsinally, if you want to get more into a freestyle sort of ride pick a board that is first: wide enough and second: more twin like in shape and construction, other than that just pick whatever fits that criteria and stokes you out
i agree with some of what you say, however weight does factor in to the equation.

i weigh 160lbs and am 6'1. this winter alone i have snapped two lib skates (posted a pic in here of me in the process of breaking one while dropping a rock) and two illuminatis (very surprised on the ills). and i find boards that weigh next to nothing do skip out at high speeds when riding through rutty terrains-i don't know a person who doesn't feel this way.
Old 04-11-2009, 02:33 PM   #6 (permalink)

the skipping out is a technique issue, if a single person can ride that board (of a similar weight) and it doesn't skip out, then what does that mean?
anyone can snap a board easily by landing heavy on the nose or tail, i could snap any board on one run if i wanted to. if you consistently snap boards in the same place, it has to be the way you are landing, right? what else would explain it?
Old 04-11-2009, 02:38 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
the skipping out is a technique issue, if a single person can ride that board (of a similar weight) and it doesn't skip out, then what does that mean?
anyone can snap a board easily by landing heavy on the nose or tail, i could snap any board on one run if i wanted to. if you consistently snap boards in the same place, it has to be the way you are landing, right? what else would explain it?
i know i am not the best rider, and i know i am far from the worst. a lot of my 'pro' friends feel the same way about deck weights-a well balanced board tracks through any kind crap conditions.

your comment, ''i could snap any board on one run if i wanted to.'' kind of makes me chuckle. must be all the power squates you do ;-)
Old 04-11-2009, 02:59 PM   #8 (permalink)

chuckle all you want, but boards aren't hard to snap if you know how to bend them right and put force in the right area, if you don't believe me let me take your board for one run. it doesn't have anything to do with skill and its not something to brag about, its just that you can snap a nose or tail pretty easy if you want too.

so if you broke several of the same boards there are only 2 choices, either you got the same defective boards a couple times in a row or its soemthing about how you ride that is snapping them, which seems more likely?

and what is a 'well balanced" board, what does that mean?
Old 04-11-2009, 03:45 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
so if you broke several of the same boards there are only 2 choices, either you got the same defective boards a couple times in a row or its soemthing about how you ride that is snapping them, which seems more likely?

and what is a 'well balanced" board, what does that mean?
i think it's an issue of the rider being defective on landing...

what i meant by a well balanced board is that it is mentally rounded. in that, when you take said snowboard to a cocktail party it will be able to get along with the likes of many different personalities.