Feedback on bindings + tuning edges - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2009, 12:45 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Feedback on bindings + tuning edges

Hi,

I recently bought a completely new setup and yesterday went to get my boots.
This is what i've got :

Forum Destroyer 156
Ride Beta Large
Burton The Shaun Size 11

Now those ride beta bindings are supposed to support size 9 to 11 ( and they actually do support my boots .. ) but I've read somewhere that your anklestrap should be centered around your boot wich isn't the case for me. Would this be an issue ?

I've taken a picture to illustrate what I mean :

As you can see, the anklestrap is not centered around the boot, the bindings are set to the largest setting ( wich should support size 11 boots without any problems according to their website ).

Furthermore I'd like to ask something about my edges. This is the first completely new setup I've bought and I'll probably use it for my first rails, would it be necessary to tune the edges on a Forum Destroyer to prevent the board from cutting into the rail ? If so, how would I best go around this ( preferably without buying any expensive fileguides or anything ... ) ?

Another small question : What temp do you guys use on your iron to wax your board ? ( I've got a normal iron without holes in it and my mum doesn't need it anymore .. )

Many thx in advance !

Some more show-off pictures ( I'm so proud haha ^^ ) :

poenanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2009, 12:47 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Is the micro adjust on the ankle strap all the way out??? It definitely will make a big difference comfort wise
lisevolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 12:52 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisevolution View Post
Is the micro adjust on the ankle strap all the way out??? It definitely will make a big difference comfort wise
I do think they are yes ... ( I've set the anklestrap on the "biggest" setting ).

The thing is, I took my binding to the shop to see if the boot would fit in and the guy in the shop said it was fine + when I strap in I actually do feel as if they sit quite good ... but still, it's got me a bit worried

I can't imagine though that a size 11 boot would fit in properly even if they were of another brand because these boots aren't really "big". Yet Ride says these bindings support size 11 boots ..
Old 04-08-2009, 02:33 PM   #4 (permalink)
thomas.s.miller

see if you can move your heel cup back.not sure if you can, but from the looks of the binding, i think you can.
Old 04-08-2009, 02:37 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

one more example of why you should always go up when your on the border...
Burton [ak] 2l Cyclic Jacket
Holden Northfield 3L pants
jmacphee9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 03:25 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmacphee9 View Post
one more example of why you should always go up when your on the border...
Not rlly helping ... + I think an XL binding wouldn't fit on a none-wide board ?!

edit: But to be honest I think the anklestrap still wouldn't be centered with a size 10 boot, the boot just really isn't that big and the size of the boot wouldn't change much around the ankle when you go a size smaller ?!
Old 04-08-2009, 03:27 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas.s.miller View Post
see if you can move your heel cup back.not sure if you can, but from the looks of the binding, i think you can.
You can't.
Old 04-08-2009, 03:29 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisevolution View Post
btw, what exactly do you mean by comfortwise, would it change the way my board turns or anything or do you mean I would get certain pressurepoints on my boots ? ( I've tested it and it feels kinda comfortable tbh .. )
Old 04-08-2009, 03:58 PM   #9 (permalink)
snowdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by poenanie View Post
btw, what exactly do you mean by comfortwise, would it change the way my board turns or anything or do you mean I would get certain pressurepoints on my boots ? ( I've tested it and it feels kinda comfortable tbh .. )
Ifyou tighten the strap enough and ride long enough you will likely develop pressure pts. When the strap is proper fitting it should distribute pressure almost evenly. In the first pic the strap is misaligned to the right of the center. Now imagine you tightening the strap. Most of the pressure will be at that point as the strap is being pulled to the left and down. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 04-08-2009, 04:04 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdog View Post
Ifyou tighten the strap enough and ride long enough you will likely develop pressure pts. When the strap is proper fitting it should distribute pressure almost evenly. In the first pic the strap is misaligned to the right of the center. Now imagine you tightening the strap. Most of the pressure will be at that point as the strap is being pulled to the left and down. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Allright I understand what you mean.

Now I've been googling a bit about this and found 2 things :

I found a picture from someone who was using a ride beta binding from last year and it also looked as if it was set up the same way as mine :
Picasa Web Albums - Conan - Snow Gear ( notice how the anklestrap is also off-center )

And I found a thread on the burton forums where people are stating that on this year's ride beta bindings you can go up to a size 11.5 boot in 9-11 size beta's :
Burton Snowboards Community - REVIEW: Ride Beta ULs

Now I know these are just "internet-sources", but could it perhaps be that these bindings are supposed to be set up this way or something ? Does anyone here perhaps have any experience with them .. ?