Wide or Normal snowboard - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2014, 03:19 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Wide or Normal snowboard

Hello

I am 198 lbs and 6'0''. My snowboard boots are the Nitro Nomad 11½ .
So I was wondering either to go for a normal snowboard or a wide one.
I checked some normal boards but most of them have up to 25.4 waist width, which seems a little narrow to me. What is you opinion? Shall I go wide or not?
Spiros is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2014, 03:33 PM   #2 (permalink)

Depends on how big of a footprint those boots have. If they have reduction tech similar to burton, 32, etc. then you'll be fine at 25.4, I wouldn't go much smaller though. If they don't have a reduced footprint I'd go wide all day.
Brewtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 03:51 PM   #3 (permalink)
Not quite reformed yet

As I understand it, Your binding angles and stance width come into play, along with your riding style as well. It's not just about your boot size or it's footprint. While in general, 11-11.5 is right on the borderline between the two. We have guys here who are rockin' size 12's riding reg and midwide boards.

I wear a 10.5 and I learned to ride on a wide board, even tho I didn't need a wide deck. It worked out just fine for me, but I Learned my lesson about Buyer beware when taking gear advice from salespeople!

Just be aware that it's not just a simple matter of,.. "this size boot has to ride wide!!" There are lots of factors involved!

2012/13 (48) days out!
2013/14 (44) days out!
2014/15
chomps1211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 04:06 PM   #4 (permalink)

My Dad's a pretty big guy and his toes hang off some but he says it doesn't effect his riding. I say just go with a normal board there's a surprising amount of carve you'd have to go before your toes hit the ground. Just make sure the bindings fit.
lprevs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 04:21 PM   #5 (permalink)

Yeah, it really depends. 25.4 might be borderline if those boots are not reduced footprint. I have reduced footprint 12s. My custom x 168 is 25.4 waist width and it is as narrow as I can go, but it is pretty much perfect and I really have no drag issues- I ride like +7 back and +14 front stance on that one. I definitely would not want a high performance freeride board in a wide width with size 12s. My pow stick is also 25.4 and I would prefer just slightly wider on that one. My park/knock around board is a 26.3 and I would never want anything wider than that.

Some guys do prefer wide boards with around 11.5-12 boots. I would demo some boards and see how they feel to you.
vajohn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 04:43 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I am in the absolutely prefer wide boards camp.
I have never been riding and thought I wanted a narrower board. I have thought I wanted a wider one though
cav0011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 05:27 PM   #7 (permalink)
Not quite reformed yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by cav0011 View Post
I am in the absolutely prefer wide boards camp.
I have never been riding and thought I wanted a narrower board. I have thought I wanted a wider one though
Remind me again,.. what's your boot size? Riding specs.? I mean if you're 175# +/- 10 lbs or so, wearing a 8.5-9 boot and you're riding wide boards,…??? I would find that surprising.

I thought about selling my wide after I got a couple reg width boards. Only because on groomers & hardpack, the wide is a lot of work with only a 10.5 boot on it.

However, I figure that extra surface area will equal better float if I ever get it into some POW! So I'm keeping it! (…It's also good for plowing thru all the bumped up, spring slush too!)

2012/13 (48) days out!
2013/14 (44) days out!
2014/15
chomps1211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 05:43 PM   #8 (permalink)

With a size 11.5, you should be on a board with a 26.5cm to 27cm waist, depending on what your main use is. If you do more park, go to the narrower side of the range, If you are more into carving groomers or deep pow, go to the wider side of the range. Everything else (all mountain), middle of the range.
Mig Fullbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 05:48 PM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chomps1211 View Post
Remind me again,.. what's your boot size? Riding specs.? I mean if you're 175# +/- 10 lbs or so, wearing a 8.5-9 boot and you're riding wide boards,…??? I would find that surprising.

However, I figure that extra surface area will equal better float if I ever get it into some POW! So I'm keeping it! (…It's also good for plowing thru all the bumped up, spring slush too!)
I'm 210#. 15/-15. Size 12 nitro teams. Wider is definitely more fun in pow.
TT rides wides with tiny feet though. I really don't notice a positive difference riding narrower boards.
The whole responsiveness issue is overblown imo. Then again I am really a size 12 where many people wearing size 12 are really size 10's
cav0011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 09:38 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mig Fullbag View Post
With a size 11.5, you should be on a board with a 26.5cm to 27cm waist, depending on what your main use is. If you do more park, go to the narrower side of the range, If you are more into carving groomers or deep pow, go to the wider side of the range. Everything else (all mountain), middle of the range.
This might be what the charts tell you, but 26.5 is the absolute widest I would ever consider riding with size 12s. A little wide is nice for pow, but I actually really like my custom x for pow and it is a 25.4 width (I also have a dedicated pow stick which is relatively narrow). Narrower is definitely better for hardpack and icy conditions for me as long as you are not so narrow that you are dragging. I am thinking about adding one more board to my quiver this year...something mainly for soft conditions and pow and I am looking at getting something around 26.3 waist width.

My feet measure out to almost 12.5, but I wear 12s with reduced footprint. If I had to wear 13s, then I would consider wider boards. Like I said before, demo some boards and make your own decision on what feels better to you...don't just look at some charts and go out and buy something based on that info. I have been riding for almost 25 years and have my own preferences.
vajohn is online now   Reply With Quote