please help! is my snowboard repairable? (pics included) - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2009, 03:01 AM   #1 (permalink)
jadis8

Default please help! is my snowboard repairable? (pics included)

I'm pissed. Some dumb@$$ skiier ran into me today and damaged the nose of my snowboard. This T.Rice lib tech doesn't have a metal edge on the nose and the tail so it's much more prone to damage...just never thought that a dumb@$$ skiier would run into me. I know nothing about repairing snowboards and wanted your opinion on whether this damage is repairable. If so, is this a do-it-yourself or a take-it-to-the-shop repair? How much would something like this cost at the shop? Ahhhhh!!! Please help!!!

As you can see, the topsheet is peeling off in both damaged locations to about 0.75 inch at most. The black (plastic? core?) part is sunken in/displaced on the right side and the black part is actually just hanging by a thread on the left side.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg nose 1.JPG (47.1 KB, 149 views)
File Type: jpg nose 2.JPG (52.1 KB, 130 views)
File Type: jpg nose 3.JPG (52.1 KB, 116 views)

Last edited by jadis8; 04-10-2009 at 03:50 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2009, 03:24 AM   #2 (permalink)

That looks pretty bad. You should take it to a board shop but they may be able to epoxy it.

I've got a 09 T.Rice as well. I hope you are able to get it fixed

Good luck!
v-verb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 03:31 AM   #3 (permalink)
jadis8

any idea how much it might cost to repair something like this? $30? $50? $100? or more?

Quote:
Originally Posted by v-verb View Post
That looks pretty bad. You should take it to a board shop but they may be able to epoxy it.

I've got a 09 T.Rice as well. I hope you are able to get it fixed

Good luck!
Old 04-10-2009, 03:37 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadis8 View Post
any idea how much it might cost to repair something like this? $30? $50? $100? or more?
No idea - I would guess more than $50 but less than $100. I'm sure there are some here who would advise you to try epoxy it yourself but see if the shop can do it reasonably first.

If it's way pricey, get some epoxy, clamps and a file to shape it after the epoxy dries.

Cheers

nigel
v-verb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 07:12 AM   #5 (permalink)
Foxtrot

Get the bastard to pay for it.
Old 04-10-2009, 07:31 AM   #6 (permalink)
kMc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxtrot View Post
Get the bastard to pay for it.
haha yea right, i guarantee he/she didnt even stop for a second, they never do.
kMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 08:45 AM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadis8 View Post
I'm pissed. Some dumb@$$ skiier ran into me today and damaged the nose of my snowboard. This T.Rice lib tech doesn't have a metal edge on the nose and the tail so it's much more prone to damage...just never thought that a dumb@$$ skiier would run into me. I know nothing about repairing snowboards and wanted your opinion on whether this damage is repairable. If so, is this a do-it-yourself or a take-it-to-the-shop repair? How much would something like this cost at the shop? Ahhhhh!!! Please help!!!

As you can see, the topsheet is peeling off in both damaged locations to about 0.75 inch at most. The black (plastic? core?) part is sunken in/displaced on the right side and the black part is actually just hanging by a thread on the left side.
One might think that you would look at the skier responsibility code posted in numerous areas that points out that damage to equipment happens from everywhere including dumbass skiers.

That's a simple fix go buy a tube of 2 part epoxy, preferably 24 hour epoxy. Mid up more resin than hardner and slather it on there put a piece of duct tape over it then clamp it down if you're so worried about it.
Old 04-10-2009, 10:14 AM   #8 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

The resorts in NY even have a clause about indemnity from "damage due to dumbass skiers" on the back of the lift ticket.

BA's right, epoxy it. You may want to scan the rack of epoxies a the store and see if they've got marine epoxy in stock, it's formulated for wet conditions. Use of a clamp is a must, the duct tape is to form the epoxy as it dries, but you can also sand it down once it's fully cured.

It could have been worse. This isn't a contact point of your board, this is all cosmetic and nothing more.

EDIT: Make sure the area is completely dry down to the core before you epoxy or it won't bond. Put it near a heater vent for a couple of days or something.

Last edited by MunkySpunk; 04-10-2009 at 10:16 AM.
MunkySpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 04:14 PM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Definately repairable..

Just be glad your not this guy who posted on SierraSnowboard forums..

He ran over his buddies skies and look at what it did to his T.Rice MTX, granted he rode the board for many hours after the near collision thinking nothing of it..which is probably why it tore up so bad...but man...another case of where fully wrapped edges would have prevented a ton of damage potentially.

arsenic0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 11:49 PM   #10 (permalink)
jadis8

yeah, now i don't feel as bad about what happened to my board...

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsenic0 View Post
Definately repairable..

Just be glad your not this guy who posted on SierraSnowboard forums..

He ran over his buddies skies and look at what it did to his T.Rice MTX, granted he rode the board for many hours after the near collision thinking nothing of it..which is probably why it tore up so bad...but man...another case of where fully wrapped edges would have prevented a ton of damage potentially.