Binding Recommendations for Custom X - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2009, 07:15 PM   #1 (permalink)
mangle

Default Binding Recommendations for Custom X

First, a bit about me... I'm 6'2", 170ish and have been riding a Custom 158 with Ride Flight Mig bindings and Salomon Malamute boots for the last five years or so. Most of that time was spent in Vermont, but now I'm in DC and frequent Snowshoe and Whitetail. I'm not sure how I'd rate myself as a rider, but I spent a couple days at Jackson Hole a few weeks ago and had no problems with the craziest in-bounds stuff out there. I intend to do some heli stuff south of the equator this summer. I like to go fast and jump over large stuff. I'd like to get better in the pipe, but have no desire to touch a rail. I'm upgrading from the Custom because I don't like how it behaves at high speeds.

I found a deal on an 08 Custom X 158 (3D bolt pattern), and now I'm looking for a new set of bindings. I intend to keep using the Malamute boots. I absolutely love the Ride Migs and want something just as stiff. I'm considering just putting them on the X and buying a new set for the Custom, but I think I'd rather buy something new for the X. Price isn't really a concern, but I cringe at the thought of paying $400 for a set of plastic bindings like the Burton C60s. I've been looking at the new Ride bindings, but can't seem to find out too much about them. Apparently the Betas are the stiffest of the MVMT series? How do the ATV series stack up? I'm not concerned with the last ounce or two of weight.

What's the major difference between the new stuff and the Migs? At the time I bought them, they were the top of the line, and I'm curious to see what's been improved. It looks like the footbeds are a lot thinner on the new ones.

Thanks for the help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2009, 09:02 PM   #2 (permalink)
mangle

*bump*

Anyone?

I'm kinda leaning towards a Ride CAD, but I'm still considering picking up a pair of Tomcats that a shop has left over. Any suggestions?
Old 04-15-2009, 01:43 AM   #3 (permalink)

If price is not a concern, I would go for Union Force MC....definitely good stuff
ScBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 05:26 AM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I put the force MCs on mine. They are amazing but I'm a little frustrated with a few things. The finish on them is starting to come off. For what I paid for these should hold up a lot better than they are. Other than that I've been very pleased.
maf05r6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 10:19 AM   #5 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

carbon + binding = gay

GOD IS DONUT
legallyillegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 02:15 PM   #6 (permalink)

I have '09 Ride CADS, which are great for freeriding. They're super stiff and extremely responsive. They even have a cant adjusment feature so you can tweak the height of each corner of the footbed independently, which I have not experimented with yet. Only 2 bad things about the binding. Ok 3 bad things:

1. They're expensive, as they retail for about $320 bucks you should be able to get it for at least half off.

2. They're difficult to setup. It's all aluminum and screws, and wound up like a spring.

3. They're pretty heavy.

Also as for Ride bindings, the MVNT series much more freestyle oriented while the ATV series is more all mountain-freeride oriented.

If you don't require the adjustable cant feature on the footbed, I have a good feeling the SPi is nearly the same binding.

Last edited by SilverK20A3; 04-15-2009 at 10:56 PM.
SilverK20A3 is offline   Reply With Quote