Needed: snowboard + bindings recommendation for medium level freerider - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2009, 10:41 AM   #1 (permalink)
erangi

Default Needed: snowboard + bindings recommendation for medium level freerider

Hi,

I would like to get a recommendation for a snowboard and bindings. The givens:
- I'm a medium level freerider. Not into snowpark stuff.
- I'm 34, and if I'm lucky I'll have a week in the snow a year. I will probably not become and expert. At most - experienced.
- I'm 6", 165 lb. and my shoe size is 13. Will need a wide board.
- I prefer easy control over performance. Don't mind having a board a bit shorter than the optimal, in order to be able to turn faster.
- The snowboard should not have any unique proprietary stuff such as Burton's EST or Flow bindings. If that stuff breaks on the mountain, you might have a hard time finding someone how can fix them.
- Well-known international manufacturers are better than small American ones. It will make it easier to sell should I decide to upgrade (I'm not American).
- The price of the snowboard + bindings should be around 250-350$. I will probably make the purchase online (I'll be in the States next month). My price reference is Sierra, Evo etc.

This is going to be the first snowboard I purchase, and I'd love to get some recommendations. Will appreciate any recommendations regarding a snowboard + binding combination, which is a bit harder than just looking at snowboards alone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2009, 01:32 PM   #2 (permalink)
danmyersmn

Elan El Grande 159. What part of the world do you live in that is trapped in the stone age and afraid of "small American manufacturers"?
Old 04-15-2009, 01:46 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

For $250-$350 all I can recommend is crap and more crap. Even with great discount deals that is going to be a hard fit for that little amount of money.

As far as EST goes. I don't really care for Burton but finding parts for a Burton binding should they break? Ummm hello, Burton is like the largest manufacturer of snowboard equipment in the world. Every shop that sells snowboards will carry them. Finding parts should not be a problem.

For going on the cheap and still able to get quality gear up your amount to $500. You should be able to piece together a good quality board and binders for $500 and you'd have a good chance of coming in under that number by $50-$100 with some good luck. For the board I would expect $300-$350 for a board that will perform and last for you.. Then the bindings should cost you around $100-$150 for a quality pair on sale.

Of course you can skimp and get a board and bindings for less. You'll also end up replacing one or both of them within a season or two, spending way more money in the long run.

Hopefully you got good boots. Never skimp on those.
killclimbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 02:07 PM   #4 (permalink)
erangi

@danmyersmn - I live in Israel. I'm not saying small manufacturers are not as good, I just assume trying to sell a used Burton will be much easier than trying to sell a better board made by a manufacturer that is not sold in Israel and therefore unknown.

@killclimbz - I know this does not sound like an interesting request. I'd probably get more attention looking for a dream 3000$ pack. However, I've had only 3 full weeks in the snow thus far, and with 2 kids and no decent sky resort near by even a week a year requires some effort. I do believe in paying more for better things, but I don't see a point in buying advanced equipment I'll hardly be able to use. I hope this time of year, with around 50% discounts, I'll be able to buy decent equipment in the price I mentioned (and leave some money for good - not decent - shoes).
Old 04-15-2009, 03:03 PM   #5 (permalink)
erangi

Giving it another thought, I'd love to hear more expensive suggestions as well. This way I'll know what bargain to look for (and, as usual, I'll probably end up paying more than I was planning). So killclimbz, please, if you have any specific recommendations for 500$, I'd love to hear them.
Old 04-15-2009, 04:01 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Well, I am saying that for $500 you'll get good equipment. I'm not saying top of the line, just that is going rate for quality equipment right now. Raiden, Union, Rome, K2 all make a good quality binder that fits your bill. A quick search shows them coming up between $100-$150 on sale right now. As far as boards go, I am going to let others give their recommendations as what I like to do doesn't really qualify me to give you advice. Maybe the K2 Podium, though I have no experience with this years ride. Last years was a quality freeride board. Let's see what others have to toss out there for you.
killclimbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 06:30 PM   #7 (permalink)
ZFanatic

Never Summer Heritage X. I just bought mine. Never ridden it (obviously) but from what I researched its supposed to be pretty darn good. Never Summer Heritage X Snowboard | Men's
Looks fantastic as well, just another plus. It's a little pricy, but the 3 year warranty was appealing as well.