Forum Destroyer into the park ! - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2009, 11:14 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Forum Destroyer into the park !

Hi,

I've bought a forum destroyer and I'm gonna mostly use it in the park ( jumps and rails mkay .. ).
Now my question would be : Do I need to detune the edges or change the bevel of the edges on this board to do rails ? If so, how much would you detune them to still have the board feel nice when hitting some ice or something ?

Thx!
poenanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2009, 12:18 PM   #2 (permalink)

I would think you would need to detune any board that didn't already come with bevelled edges (Like the Stepchild JP Walker Pro Model) if you want to take it on any rails.

After falling face first on a rail from catching an edge doing a boardslide with my destroyer, from my own personal experience, I can say you do need to detune the Destroyer, lol.

I haven't yet experimented with bevelled edges but you would need a 2 degree bevel on your base edge at a minimum.
jardo56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 02:12 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jardo56 View Post
I would think you would need to detune any board that didn't already come with bevelled edges (Like the Stepchild JP Walker Pro Model) if you want to take it on any rails.

After falling face first on a rail from catching an edge doing a boardslide with my destroyer, from my own personal experience, I can say you do need to detune the Destroyer, lol.

I haven't yet experimented with bevelled edges but you would need a 2 degree bevel on your base edge at a minimum.
Would I have to create a 2 degree bevel across the whole board or just in certain places ( ie between the bindings .. ) ?
Old 04-16-2009, 04:45 PM   #4 (permalink)

Across your effective edge. This is where the board makes contact with the snow. The only places where you would want to have a different edge are possibly the contact points. At the contact points you can round off the edge conservatively to avoid 'catching an edge' in unforgiving conditions.

But if you are going to apply bevelled edges to your board, you should apply them along the entire effective edge.

I am trying to get into contact with Forum to see what kind of bevel the Destroyer comes with from the factory. If it already comes with a 2 degree base/88 degree side bevel (and it might) you should be good to go. If it comes with a 1 degree base/89 degree side bevel, then I would take it to a shop and get them to give you a 2 degree base bevel.

From that, you can choose your side bevel... If your edge angles add up to 90(ie. 2 degree base + 88 degree side = 90), thats ideal. But if you want more forgiveness (ie. duller), 91 or even 92 would be better. Angles adding up to less than 90 is more for freeriding and alpine.

Last edited by jardo56; 04-16-2009 at 04:51 PM.
Old 04-22-2009, 05:14 PM   #5 (permalink)

I contacted Forum and they said there is a 3 degree bevel on the Destroyer and on all of Forum's park/jib boards.

That's a pretty intense bevel. I am quite surprised. My geuss is they also have a 87 degree side bevel. So you can either leave the edges alone to maintain the 90 degree corner, or buy a 88 or 90 degree side sharpener and round off the edges slightly for a more forgiving edge.

Last edited by jardo56; 04-22-2009 at 05:18 PM.
Old 04-22-2009, 05:21 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

3 degrees on the destroyer seems like kind of a lot to put on a board standard. i would suggest a 2 degree on the destroyer and more of an all mtn freestyle.
twin89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 03:33 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jardo56 View Post
I contacted Forum and they said there is a 3 degree bevel on the Destroyer and on all of Forum's park/jib boards.

That's a pretty intense bevel. I am quite surprised. My geuss is they also have a 87 degree side bevel. So you can either leave the edges alone to maintain the 90 degree corner, or buy a 88 or 90 degree side sharpener and round off the edges slightly for a more forgiving edge.
I'm quite surprised ... when I checked the board I didn't see any bevel, I guess 3 degrees is just hard to notice.

Anyway, would this mean I don't have to take a file to my board to avoid hanging on rails ?
Old 04-23-2009, 11:32 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I think the WWW also comes with a 3 degree bevel.
Penguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 11:36 PM   #9 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

K2's 3 degree seems awfully flat whenever I look at it.

GOD IS DONUT
legallyillegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 08:19 AM   #10 (permalink)

I also emailed forum and now they told me it doesn't come with a bevel, I don't know who to believe now ... :/