Flow Merc vs Rossignol One Magtek - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2014, 11:30 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Flow Merc vs Rossignol One Magtek

Hi all!

Was wondering which of these boards I should go for. The Flow Merc is more easily available but the Rossignol seems just a bit better.

Im looking for an all mountain board, 1.75 m tall and around 80 kg. Mostly spend time on the groomers but looking for some flexibility in a board, one I can learn a lot on for the coming couple of years (having about 4 weeks of experience now).

Im interested in your opinion towards the choice. Im rather torn up between the two. Also which size I should go for. Seems like 156 to 160 should be the way to go, will there be much difference in feel between sizes (also taking into accord my experience).
Snorro is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2014, 12:02 PM   #2 (permalink)

The Flow Merc was the first "real" board I owned. It was a pretty decent board and I have nothing to complain about, but I was a beginner back then and didn't know much about boards. Also, that board is an entry level board. At least it was when I bought mine back in 2009 or 2010. I'm not sure how much has changed since then. That said, the Rossy One Magtek is a lot higher end board and if price isn't a big factor, that's definitely what you want to get, though I haven't ridden it personally.
Rookie09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 12:15 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for the reply!

I agree with the One being higher end, but both are available at the price range I have in mind (or money I have to spend, really). Im just wondering that since theyre both designed with thesame idea in mind, or at least so it seems to me, that would someone with 4 weeks experience have a lot more enjoyment riding the One as opposed to riding the Merc. Would I notice the difference? Would I be looking for a new board in a year when taking the Merc?

And ofcourse, the question of the size differences mattering a lot still stands.
Old 11-24-2014, 03:24 PM   #4 (permalink)

As a new rider you probably won't notice a big difference between the ride of the boards. This is assuming they have similar profiles and flex patterns. I'm just assuming based on you saying they're similar. I'm too lazy to look it up myself haha. That said, depending on how often you ride and how quickly you progress, you might be looking for an upgrade in a year or two if you go with the Merc. As far as sizing goes, I'd recommend the 156, since you're a newer rider and will be staying on groomers.
Old 11-24-2014, 03:43 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks again!

So you think I should go with the 156? That isnt on the short side? Or is that exactly the reason why (more flexibility maybe?).

One other thing, the board is 25.3 cm at the waist (dont know exactly about the width at the bindings) and my boots lenght is 33 cm. Front foot slightly edged forward (15 degrees?) and back foot regular. Might this make for too much toe overhang? Or am I just a stickler for details, lol?
Old 11-24-2014, 08:50 PM   #6 (permalink)

Umm what US size are the boots? usually you're good to go on a regular width board if your boots are 11 or smaller. Different factors come into play if you're right on the border there. The 25.3 cm will be the narrowest point on the board too, not where the bindings are mounted. 15 degrees is a pretty good angle angle to cut down the width too. By back foot regular, do you mean it's at zero degrees?

Correct me if my conversions are wrong, but I'm putting you at about 5'9 175 lbs. I'm 5'9 165 lbs and I ride a 152, but I do right mostly park. The way I look at it, for an all mountain board you want a few cm longer than a park board. Both the 156 and 160 will work for you and can come down to personal preference, but the main reasons for going longer are either 1) so you get better float in powder (which won't be an issue if you're riding mostly groomers) or 2) you want a bit better stability carving at high speeds (which I'm assuming you won't be doing for awhile since you're a fairly new rider). And yes, the 156 will be a bit more playful and flexible than the 160
Old 11-26-2014, 03:42 PM   #7 (permalink)

I cannot comment on the Flow, but I have a 159 One Mag which I am going into my 4th season on. You will not be disappointed in the Rossi, in fact you will love it. Given your experience, it is a board that you can grow into and is a very well balanced board that will not throw any surprises at you when you first get going on it. You don't mention what part of the world you ride in, but I believe the newer version of the One Mag has a mellower version of MT than the one I am riding. If you are an Ice Coast rider, you will really enjoy the added grip that comes with the MT.

I have a number of boards to ride and the Rossi is a board that I keep coming back to. In fact I am heading out for the first time later this week and it is the board that will be in the car. It is such a fun, well rounded board, especially on groomers. At you size the 156 would be a great length. Pick one up and you will happy you did.
Old 11-26-2014, 08:13 PM   #8 (permalink)

Thanks to both of you!

@Rookie09
US boot size equivalent to my european size would be 10.5 for my regular shoes and 11.5 for my snowboard boots (Nike, I heard theyre a bit smaller relative, hence the larger size, and the larger price LoL, but if theres anything to get right, its the boots).
I guess Ill be fine shoe size wise, when not snowboarding my girlfriend has a habit of making fun of me standing around like a duck, so standing with both feet at an angle might just suit me fine if I get into trouble with the board width.
Reading the rest of your comments, it would seem like I landed smack dab in the middle of where I should be, kudo's for me I guess (and kudo's for luck). Im looking forward to trying out the Rossignol One in a couple of weeks.

@Oldman
Great to hear! A board that I can grow in to and grow with is exactly what I am looking for. I will be riding in the Alps (St. Anton am Arlberg - Austria, coming from The Netherlands), since where I come from the highest land height difference might just be the point from where I sneeze to the point from where I'd get tired of digging. I believe I have the 2008 version of the Rossignol One (going oldskool). After your comments and Rookie's, Im looking forward even more to a week in the snow. Thanks again!

If anyone else is willing to shed some light on the Rossignol One, Id be very, very glad to hear it. Things to look out for or just more positivity directed towards it, or even if you think the 2008 version belongs in a retirements home and I should toss it, share it alll.

Regards

Last edited by Snorro; 11-26-2014 at 08:18 PM.