Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums

Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/forum.php)
-   Boards (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/)
-   -   Soooooo............... (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/15516-soooooo.html)

nodaysoff 04-18-2009 12:23 AM

Soooooo...............

So heres the thing, I wanted to get an good all mountain board for next season but im unsure of what size to get. @ 6'0 165lbs I started with a 5150 155, and picked up a 156 scaremaster to play around with/butter towards the end of last season, hoping to progress in park next season.
I was told that i couldve got the Scare in a 152(mainly for park), but went with the 156 since i figured I'd be hitting greens/blue with it as well(which it handled pretty well). Lookin at the charts of the different All Mountain boards i had in mind it looks like i need about a 159 160?

At this stage of the game stock is low. The spots with the good deals are either short on sz.(156/157) or out of stock and the retailers that do have the boards I want aint really choppin much off the prices.(lookin to spend 200-300).

So i guess the question is:
How critical is it to go larger for an all moutain board? when do you really benefit ie. powder vs groom, jumps, etc?:dunno:

Whats the disadvantage of gettin a 156/7 as oppose to a 159/60?

Out of the following boards which would you choose?

With buttering and Pop in mind here are my picks:

Rome Agent
Rome Anthem
Bataleon airobic, goliath, evil twin(not sure which one i reallt want, just read alot of good reviews on them)
Capita FCG
Any other comparable boards?

info:165lbs
6'0
Eastcoast, looking to step out west once or twice next season

As always thanks in advance
:thumbsup:

con3593 04-18-2009 12:37 AM

Well, as with almost everything, it's highly critical on your riding style..the smaller board will be better in the park, but you are sacrificing stability. So a short board in this case will really screw you up with powder, and you would most likely just be entirely better off increasing the size. My stats a fairly close to yours and I ride a 159. You will notice a big increase in stability, as I said earlier, with the larger board. Honestly I don't think the increase should be a detriment to your park abilities whatso ever. I think the Agent would make the better park board for you, because if I remember correctly the Anthem was more of a all mountain board...Hope this helps..

nodaysoff 04-18-2009 10:12 AM

I see what you mean Con, Park is not really my main focus, and when i do get into it ill probably deticate the scaremaster to it. Still considering my self a beginner i guess my riding style is mainly groomers, a few ground tricks( my main goal for next season is buttering hard and gradually jumping off kickers, etc., thats ofcourse after getting my switch down pack:laugh:).

I guess my minimum should be 159? or 158? depending on the manufacter. Rome has 158 then 160 for the agent, and 159, 162 for anthem.

bubb_rubb 04-18-2009 01:22 PM

If you have a smaller, dedicated park board you might want to go on the long side. But really, for east coast riding, an int. rider at your size would be fine with the 56/7 too. If you find a good sale on any of them, you might as well pull the trigger. I would also look at Never Summer SL-R (although expensive and hard to find) and the Arbor Element (also a little more money, but damn sweet all-mountain ride). Maybe look at the T Rice as well...

con3593 04-18-2009 04:20 PM

For east coast riding you CAN get away with riding a few CM's small, but be careful, because it will screw you up if you make any trips out west, or if we do get a pow day.. You won't get a good amount of float. So I would go for the 160

nodaysoff 04-18-2009 05:10 PM

K, sounds good, now i just have to find and decide on a board:laugh:

Thanx