Soooooo............... - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2009, 01:23 AM   #1 (permalink)

Smile Soooooo...............

So heres the thing, I wanted to get an good all mountain board for next season but im unsure of what size to get. @ 6'0 165lbs I started with a 5150 155, and picked up a 156 scaremaster to play around with/butter towards the end of last season, hoping to progress in park next season.
I was told that i couldve got the Scare in a 152(mainly for park), but went with the 156 since i figured I'd be hitting greens/blue with it as well(which it handled pretty well). Lookin at the charts of the different All Mountain boards i had in mind it looks like i need about a 159 160?

At this stage of the game stock is low. The spots with the good deals are either short on sz.(156/157) or out of stock and the retailers that do have the boards I want aint really choppin much off the prices.(lookin to spend 200-300).

So i guess the question is:
How critical is it to go larger for an all moutain board? when do you really benefit ie. powder vs groom, jumps, etc?

Whats the disadvantage of gettin a 156/7 as oppose to a 159/60?

Out of the following boards which would you choose?

With buttering and Pop in mind here are my picks:

Rome Agent
Rome Anthem
Bataleon airobic, goliath, evil twin(not sure which one i reallt want, just read alot of good reviews on them)
Capita FCG
Any other comparable boards?

info:165lbs
6'0
Eastcoast, looking to step out west once or twice next season

As always thanks in advance
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2009, 01:37 AM   #2 (permalink)
con3593

Well, as with almost everything, it's highly critical on your riding style..the smaller board will be better in the park, but you are sacrificing stability. So a short board in this case will really screw you up with powder, and you would most likely just be entirely better off increasing the size. My stats a fairly close to yours and I ride a 159. You will notice a big increase in stability, as I said earlier, with the larger board. Honestly I don't think the increase should be a detriment to your park abilities whatso ever. I think the Agent would make the better park board for you, because if I remember correctly the Anthem was more of a all mountain board...Hope this helps..
Old 04-18-2009, 11:12 AM   #3 (permalink)

I see what you mean Con, Park is not really my main focus, and when i do get into it ill probably deticate the scaremaster to it. Still considering my self a beginner i guess my riding style is mainly groomers, a few ground tricks( my main goal for next season is buttering hard and gradually jumping off kickers, etc., thats ofcourse after getting my switch down pack).

I guess my minimum should be 159? or 158? depending on the manufacter. Rome has 158 then 160 for the agent, and 159, 162 for anthem.
Old 04-18-2009, 02:22 PM   #4 (permalink)
bubb_rubb

If you have a smaller, dedicated park board you might want to go on the long side. But really, for east coast riding, an int. rider at your size would be fine with the 56/7 too. If you find a good sale on any of them, you might as well pull the trigger. I would also look at Never Summer SL-R (although expensive and hard to find) and the Arbor Element (also a little more money, but damn sweet all-mountain ride). Maybe look at the T Rice as well...
Old 04-18-2009, 05:20 PM   #5 (permalink)
con3593

For east coast riding you CAN get away with riding a few CM's small, but be careful, because it will screw you up if you make any trips out west, or if we do get a pow day.. You won't get a good amount of float. So I would go for the 160
Old 04-18-2009, 06:10 PM   #6 (permalink)

K, sounds good, now i just have to find and decide on a board

Thanx