Queenstown NZ Rental Gear - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2009, 06:55 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Queenstown NZ Rental Gear

Hi all,
Heading to Queenstown NZ to snowboard in August and wondering if anyone has any advice on the best place to hire gear from? I have found about 20 places but I don't know which places are decent and which are ripoffs.
If you have any experiance with any of the shops that rent out gear there let me know!

Also, I'm planning on buying jacket/pants/gloves. Is burton the way to go? They are the only brand I have really heard of.
The last time I went and hired jacket and pants they were fluro pink and fluro yellow so thats why i'm buying

Cheers guys!
tal06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2009, 07:19 PM   #2 (permalink)
fuzzysnowboard

I don't know about the rental places but personally I think Burton is solid.It might be too expensive if your only going a little bit(you pay alot for the name). There are lots of other brands that are cheaper than Burton that are good too. (You don't have to get a snowboard brand one)
Old 04-22-2009, 06:28 PM   #3 (permalink)

thanks for that fuzzy, il have a look around, know any brands i should keep away from?
Old 04-22-2009, 07:00 PM   #4 (permalink)
fuzzysnowboard

Right now you can get really good deals. (Stay away from ripzone cause I know lots of people who have those and they break fast.) If you go to any good snowboard/ski shop they will not sell crap, so if you go to a good shop you can probably get really nice gear for killer deals. Whats your budget any ways?
Old 04-22-2009, 07:49 PM   #5 (permalink)
shredchick

As far as renting go, you'll probably find that everyone in qtwn have got similar prices. If you rent from town itself, the prices are probably cheaper than on the hill and less mucking around. However, renting on the hill means that if you somehow picked the wrong sized boots or something, you can get them to change it for you on the hill rather than having to put up with it or coming back down into town.
As for in-town rentals, Quest and Alta are always good. The folks who work there know their sh*t.
Old 04-22-2009, 08:03 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lamb_

I went to green toad.. and one of my boots was broken but I didn't realise til I go to the top of the mountain (cant remember what specifically but it meant that the laces wouldn't hold.. so i had to tape the boot up and have a super crap day).

On buying gear.. if you don't have limited funds sure go burton but if not you can buy cheaper stuff that's just as good especially if you aren't planning on doing alot of riding.
Old 04-22-2009, 11:25 PM   #7 (permalink)

thanks guys!
I think theres a snow shop in town so will head in for a look tomorrow.

I got through to alta shredchick and they seem really nice and helpful. Thanks for the tip!
Old 04-23-2009, 12:48 AM   #8 (permalink)
Lamb_

Are you in QT? Or somewhere else in NZ? or overseas?

BWMsnow.co.nz • ski • board • shop | BWMsnow is really great (and they have a store if you're in chch, otherwise its free shipping) depending on how much you're going to go it might be cheaper to just buy a board etc or even just you're own boots..
Old 04-25-2009, 05:04 AM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamb_ View Post
Are you in QT? Or somewhere else in NZ? or overseas?

BWMsnow.co.nz • ski • board • shop | BWMsnow is really great (and they have a store if you're in chch, otherwise its free shipping) depending on how much you're going to go it might be cheaper to just buy a board etc or even just you're own boots..
Agree with this whole heartedly. Adrian and the crew at BWMsnow are the greatest and will most likely hit you up with a deal if you buy all your stuff from there (they have sales on at the moment).

Alternately, the different shops down there may be able to cut you some deals if you go in there saying you want all your gear from them.

If you're gonna ride alot alot alot, look at getting some high quality stuff freighted from overseas...seems expensive...until you look at the prices in some of the retail stores in Qtown (not mentioning names...but R+Rsports). I got bonfire pants over here for $40 less each pair (with freight on top of the price included) than the retail price of the K'Rd Auckland R+Rsports shop, only down side is that you can't try the stuff on then and there to see how it fits etc.

Last edited by fattrav; 04-25-2009 at 05:06 AM. Reason: to the extreme i rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle
fattrav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 08:03 PM   #10 (permalink)
Lamb_

Quote:
Originally Posted by fattrav View Post
only down side is that you can't try the stuff on then and there to see how it fits etc.

If ya find it cheap online go to r and r or somewhere and see if they have it and try it on there.. then buy online :P

What overseas sites are you talking about? The only ones I've found tack on $50US for postage here.. so it ends up working out the same.