Helmets after a fall - Page 2 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2009, 06:48 PM   #11 (permalink)

Wow! I had no idea that a helmet was useless after a heavy impact.
milner_7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2009, 06:49 PM   #12 (permalink)

yeah.. they still work but not as effectivy as they would without that imapct.. once you get a crack in the helmet just toss it.. it wont do much
braden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 07:16 PM   #13 (permalink)
Addyct

Quote:
Originally Posted by milner_7 View Post
Wow! I had no idea that a helmet was useless after a heavy impact.
yep. An easy way to think of it is that todays helmets are designed kind of like todays cars are. the foam is designed to "crumple", for lack of a better word, and once they crumple, they don't work as well as they did.
Old 04-21-2009, 07:33 PM   #14 (permalink)

I don't think Snowboard helmets are designed the same way as motorcycle helmets, were motorcycle have to be replaced on impact or by accidentally dropping it. I'd replace my snowboard helmet judging by the condition it is in and what kind of accident you got into with it. If there are cracks in the foam or shell of the helmet then its out into the bin. No cracks then I'd continue using it.

At the end of the day its up to you this is my personal thinking on when i would replace my helmet.
krazibone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 07:47 PM   #15 (permalink)
Addyct

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazibone View Post
I don't think Snowboard helmets are designed the same way as motorcycle helmets, were motorcycle have to be replaced on impact or by accidentally dropping it. I'd replace my snowboard helmet judging by the condition it is in and what kind of accident you got into with it. If there are cracks in the foam or shell of the helmet then its out into the bin. No cracks then I'd continue using it.

At the end of the day its up to you this is my personal thinking on when i would replace my helmet.
Unfortunately, you're wrong. The facts are that you can't tell if your helmet is still effective with a visual test alone.
unless your helmet is listed as "multiple impact", it is good for ONE impact and ONE impact only.
Old 04-21-2009, 08:03 PM   #16 (permalink)

Interresting site where I got some information about this:
Helmets for Many Activities
Old 04-21-2009, 09:00 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addyct View Post
Unfortunately, you're wrong. The facts are that you can't tell if your helmet is still effective with a visual test alone.
unless your helmet is listed as "multiple impact", it is good for ONE impact and ONE impact only.
yeah, you need to look at the exact helmet that you have and make sure. i play many sports and ride motorcycles and it all depends on the type of material inside the helmet. my hockey helmets differ between materials and that will determine whether or not you need to replace it or not. as for motorcycle helmets, you're going to want to replace that on any drop. it seems like snow helmets can take some more abuse without structurally being affected, but in the end it is still your head. how much do you want to risk?
absoludicrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 09:49 PM   #18 (permalink)

Gotta use your best judgement

if its a hard fall, it would probably behoove you to get a new helm.

Think about it, its kinda like an airbag in a car thats always deployed, but once you push it down, less air is in the bag, its closer to the steering wheel, therefore it no longer absorbs impact because the original impact-distance has become smaller.

Sometimes the fall doesn't crack the foam on the outside but instead on the inside (where you can't see it)so the absorption distance is shortened and your dome has less distance to travel, meaning your closer to the bad hard stuff.

The only way to REALLY know if your helmet is still good is to put on your surgery gloves, grab the scapal and disect your helmet and examine the layers....lol in which case it would be rendered useless and you'd have to get a new one anyway

On the flipside, I kinda think even a deffective helmet is better than nothing
Enigmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 10:54 AM   #19 (permalink)
Veteran Member

i think it is jsut one good impact and it is done. but i wouldn't go so far as to say that dropping it in the parking lot would finish it.
twin89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 03:16 AM   #20 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

XPS: eXtruded PolyStyrene (styrofoam)
EPS: Expanded PolyStyrene
EPP: Expanded PolyPropylene

Most helmets use EPS (cheap) foam. There are some that use EPP. Bern uses proprietary Brock foam (a type of EPP - they also have EPS models). Another foam type is Zorbium, but it is very rare (there is a hockey helmet with Zorbium - but Zorbium is warm and heavy).

EPS is ONE impact. If the foam is crushed, it's useless.
EPP and Brock and Zorbium are MULTIPLE impact. As long as the outer shell is intact, you should be good to go.

(most hockey and football helmets use vinyl nitrate padding)

GOD IS DONUT
legallyillegal is offline   Reply With Quote