Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums

Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/forum.php)
-   Boards (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/)
-   -   Helmets after a fall (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/15573-helmets-after-fall.html)

Jaywho 04-21-2009 02:15 PM

Helmets after a fall

Hello Folks,

I was done snowboarding and was doing my last run of the day when I went down hard, and even while wearing a helmet I saw stars after I hit the back of my head.

Now with bike helmets they say you should replace them after each impact. Is the same for Snowboard / Ski helmets as well?

Thanks,
Jay

T.J. 04-21-2009 02:22 PM

yup. 1 impact and get a new one is what i've always heard as well. someone dropped mine on my driveway while unloading the car this season and i bought a new one. wasnt even hard but it was enough that i didnt trust it.

Penguin 04-21-2009 02:22 PM

Unless it cracks your helmet should be ok I think.

jmacphee9 04-21-2009 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Penguin (Post 157268)
Unless it cracks your helmet should be ok I think.

i agree, unless you can tell the foam took a nice beating..

Lousixyz 04-21-2009 02:41 PM

Some manufacturer (at least Gyro did)offer a special price for Helmet replacement so I would contact yours manufacturer to see what its offering is.

I would'nt rely on eye inspection to determine if a replacement is needed or not as in some case, you won't see the damage to foam which can happened without cracking the Helmet.

EDIT: After some reserch as I was not sure anymore about my answer, I found that if the specification of your helmet do not mention "multi-impact liner" (like some Pro-Tech), a replacement should be made after each impact.

Technine Icon 04-21-2009 03:45 PM

Not necessarily, u should only replace it if u notice cracks, other than that u should be fine.

Addyct 04-21-2009 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Technine Icon (Post 157301)
Not necessarily, u should only replace it if u notice cracks, other than that u should be fine.

this is not true. Helmet's are designed to absorb a heavy impact, but unless the helmet is specifically made to take multiple impacts, the foam protection will be compromised after one heavy impact.
Now, if you find yourself in a position where it is either use the compromised helmet or no helmet at all, then obviously the former is the better choice, but as someone else stated earlier, a lot of helmet manufacturers offer a replacement plan, so there is no reason not to get a new helmet.

Gnarly 04-21-2009 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lousixyz (Post 157277)
Some manufacturer (at least Gyro did)offer a special price for Helmet replacement so I would contact yours manufacturer to see what its offering is.

Smith has the same program and offers 30% off helmet replacement.

jmacphee9 04-21-2009 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gnarly (Post 157307)
Smith has the same program and offers 30% off helmet replacement.

red is 50% but alot of times its easier to find a better deal out there...brociety has buckets all the time

dharmashred 04-21-2009 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Addyct (Post 157305)
this is not true. Helmet's are designed to absorb a heavy impact, but unless the helmet is specifically made to take multiple impacts, the foam protection will be compromised after one heavy impact.

Dude's right. I have used the same helmet all season, taken quite a few minor head hits, however, 2 weeks ago in mammoth i caught an edge and went straight back and got ROCKED. i got a concussion with the helmet, then i realized the efficacy of the helmet had already been compromised by the other hits. the helmet can be damaged without the damage being visible. i believe that i would not have had the concussion if i had replaced that helmet. (it has no visible signs of impact).

dude, just get another helmet - it's not worth risking getting rocked.