Custom or Un Inc. - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
User Tag List

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-25-2009, 07:33 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 82
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Custom or Un Inc.

So I'm a beginner snowboarder who wants to buy a snowboard. So I narrowed my selection to two boards (Custom or Un Inc.) and was wondering if you guys would give me some advice to which board to go with. A little background about how I ride and such not. I'm a beginner as mentioned and do freeride and in the future a little jumps. I ride in Northern New Jersey, Eastern Pennsylvania and upstate New York (don't know if this will be helpful but it might). Many people tell me to go with the Custom board with Cartel bindings but at the Burton store in SoHo NY, I was told that the Un Inc would be great too or even better. She told me that I would have lots of fun doing all mountain and that the board is very similiar to the Custom but more aggressive. She also said that even though many say that the Un Inc is a park board that it's really not.
tomek142 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-25-2009, 08:34 PM
Veteran Member
 
jmacphee9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Detroit
Posts: 2,335
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
the un inc is a freestyle deck, not a park board really. it is set back a bit, and a tad softer then the custom. directional flex im pretty sure, great deck for jumping and riding. i would take it over the custom.

Lib Tech Skate banana
Flow NXT-FS
Nike kaiju
Burton [ak] 2l Cyclic Jacket
Holden Northfield 3L pants
jmacphee9 is offline  
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-25-2009, 09:35 PM
Senior Member
 
Reede's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 398
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You pretty much can't go wrong with the custom, burton haters aside it does everything well.

I asked myself exactly the same questions as you when I was shopping for a board at the end of last season, and I ended up with a Custom + Cartels.

I don't know anything about the Un Inc tho so can't really compare the 2.
Reede is offline  
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-25-2009, 10:16 PM
Senior Member
 
MadBomber53045's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 146
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reede View Post
You pretty much can't go wrong with the custom, burton haters aside it does everything well.

I asked myself exactly the same questions as you when I was shopping for a board at the end of last season, and I ended up with a Custom + Cartels.

I don't know anything about the Un Inc tho so can't really compare the 2.
agreed. i have your exact setup for my trips out west and flows for the midwest riding. i love my custom so far and really wish burton wouldnt get ripped on so much.

I'm not the Devil. I'm much, much older. I watched the Beginning and I will see the End. I am the dark behind the stars. I am the dark inside you all. (Event Horizon)
MadBomber53045 is offline  
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-26-2009, 06:11 PM
mosonboards
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
There are a lot of small snowboard brands that have boards you will love way more than either of those. You should check out: crispy whips, prospect, publik, humanity...just to name a few.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-20-2009, 03:08 AM
hinglis
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
I have been riding and uninc for 2 season's now and its a great board for progression. It is labeled as a park board although I think it is more of a jumping board definitely not a jibstick, because of this it charges down the hill and is really good edge to edge although it is average at best in powder mainly due to the centered stance.. Set your front binding back you get a powder day and you'll be sweet.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-20-2009, 02:28 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 364
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmacphee9 View Post
the un inc is a freestyle deck, not a park board really. it is set back a bit, and a tad softer then the custom. directional flex im pretty sure, great deck for jumping and riding. i would take it over the custom.
the uninc is centered, not set back. it has a directional flex. its torsionally stiffer than the custom, its stiff enough to ride all over the mountain and maybe a bit too stiff to bend around features in the park if you are very light.

the custom has a directional shape (nose kick is a bit longer than the tail kick) but has a twin flex and 10mm (about 1/2 inch) of setback. its slightly softer than the uninc.

to the OP, either board will work, they have different feels but are not so disimilar that you could say one is much "better" than another for doing certian things. if you don't already know what you prefer in a board you are likely to love either of them.
Incogneato is offline  
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-23-2009, 11:02 PM
fuzzysnowboard
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
I believe the uninc is a stiffer(stiffest?) park board.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-24-2009, 12:35 AM
cart456
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
genral equipment talk

This is a wonderful opinion. The things mentioned are unanimous and needs to be appreciated by everyone
cart456
workout routines
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-25-2009, 01:30 PM
Veteran Member
 
Mr. Polonia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Brooklyn, Empire State
Posts: 1,093
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomek142 View Post
So I'm a beginner snowboarder who wants to buy a snowboard. So I narrowed my selection to two boards (Custom or Un Inc.) and was wondering if you guys would give me some advice to which board to go with. A little background about how I ride and such not. I'm a beginner as mentioned and do freeride and in the future a little jumps. I ride in Northern New Jersey, Eastern Pennsylvania and upstate New York (don't know if this will be helpful but it might). Many people tell me to go with the Custom board with Cartel bindings but at the Burton store in SoHo NY, I was told that the Un Inc would be great too or even better. She told me that I would have lots of fun doing all mountain and that the board is very similiar to the Custom but more aggressive. She also said that even though many say that the Un Inc is a park board that it's really not.
since u live in nyc like myself, and go riding at the same places, i would prob recommend the custom. People usually say that if ur starting off, get a softer board since its easier to learn on. That all depends on how athletic u really are ( ur balance, reaction time etc ) i learned on the burton air which is about as stiff as the custom. I personally ride the custom x is mainly for speed, but the regular custom is an all around board which will prob suit u very well. trust me!!!
Mr. Polonia is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome