New all-mountain / free ride board (Ride Berzerker vs. Yes PYL vs. Venture Zelix) - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2014, 12:42 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default New all-mountain / free ride board (Ride Berzerker vs. Yes PYL vs. Venture Zelix)

I'm looking for an all-mountain board that can handle groomers at speed, trees, pow, jumps off natural features/kickers, grip on ice, but not for the park. Hoping to improve technique, and confidence for speed/jumps to get to the next level in my riding. I recently picked up an Arbor Element 159 for practicing all-mountain freestyle/buttering and wanted another board that would be a little stiffer and harder charging on/off piste.

5'11", male, 170-175lbs, 10.5 boot, ride mostly at Tahoe, intermediate rider on the mountain (blues and single blacks). Learned on camber and only board I've owned is a 2006 Burton Air.

I'm looking into camber/camrock/flat to rocker, narrowed it down to a few boards and was hoping to get your thoughts.

Burton Custom Twin (158?, board is narrow) - More medium flex than the options below (maybe more playful?), but still true camber for stability / carving. Doesn't seem to be many reviews on it.

Ride Berzerker (159W) - Seems like a good compromise between hard charging without being too aggressive. Only concern is potentially edge hold in hardpack / ice as it doesn't have any magne-type tech. Also curious if the micro-camber is enough to carve very well. Finally, I've read mixed things in the past about the aggressiveness vs. the Highlife UL.

Yes PYL (159) - Seems great, but mixed reviews on if this is an all-mountain board good for powder of a powder board good at groomers as well. Worried if this board is too stiff for my skill level or not the right fit if I'm mostly groomer charging but looking for pow when I can. Also curious on the aggressiveness vs. Berzerker given its more pronounced camber but rocker tail. Which has faster turn initiation / more pop?

Venture Zelix (159) - Not many reviews, but all the ones I've seen have been good. Unclear on stiffness vs. others as I've read Ventures are generally stiffer. Seems more in line with Berzerker or maybe even more flexible. Curious on flat to rocker vs camrock for stability/carving.

Was also wondering if these may be too much board and if I'm better off opting for something like a Mod Rocker, Yes Greats, or Jones MT.

Appreciate any input!

Last edited by enjoy; 12-12-2014 at 03:32 AM.
enjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2014, 01:07 PM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoy View Post

Yes PYL (159) - Seems great, but mixed reviews on if this is an all-mountain board good for powder of a powder board good at groomers as well. Worried if this board is too stiff for my skill level or not the right fit if I'm mostly groomer charging but looking for pow when I can. Also curious on the aggressiveness vs. Berzerker given its more pronounced camber but rocker tail. Which has faster turn initiation / more pop?

Was also wondering if these may be too much board and if I'm better off opting for something like a Mod Rocker, Yes Greats, or Jones MT.

Appreciate any input!
My personal measurements aren't too far off from yours and I went with the YES PYL 159 (although it is last year's new old stock). I can tell you this is a serious board and stiff as heck. Significant camber between the bindings and a tiny amount of rocker around the contact points means you need to be a somewhat technical rider to get the most out of this board IMO.

Read this and you'll learn a lot about this board:

Yes Pick Your Line Review | Price Comparison | Buyers Guide

If you plan on challenging yourself and where you ride I think this may be an option you could grow into and definitely not grow out of after your riding progresses.

I know there are several people on the forum who ride this board, hopefully they will add to this. One thing I found is that there isn't a LOT of info/reviews out there regarding the YES PYL unfortunately. It certainly isn't as common as your run-of-the-mill Burton Custom or similar product from the large companies.....another one of the reasons I got it if that kind of thing is a factor for you!
PlanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 01:18 PM   #3 (permalink)

Sweet, appreciate the insight. I came from an old cambered board that I learned on, and actually quite like the feel. Just uneasy about the stiffness, but definitely want to improve (but hopefully this board's stability also increases confidence). Is the PYL rigid like how people describe the flagship? Also, is it a pretty damp board? Did you consider the Berzerker?

Thanks!
Old 12-04-2014, 03:00 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Sweet, appreciate the insight. I came from an old cambered board that I learned on, and actually quite like the feel. Just uneasy about the stiffness, but definitely want to improve (but hopefully this board's stability also increases confidence). Is the PYL rigid like how people describe the flagship? Also, is it a pretty damp board? Did you consider the Berzerker?

Thanks!
The PYL is indeed as stiff as others have described. My friend, who rides a Custom X came over the day I got the board in the mail and his first comment (after how awesome the graphics are) was how stiff it is - and he's coming from the CX. It's not only stiff straight from tip to tail (as most people describe a board's stiffness), but it's also incredibly stiff torsionally if you know what I mean?

As for your other question, yes I did carefully and seriously consider the Ride Berzerker. What led me away from that choice is the fact that the Ride is described as only having a 5/10 on Ride's own 'feel-o-meter' and it only has 'micro' camber - whereas the PYL definitely has some serious camber where it counts (underfoot). Not saying the Ride isn't a great deck, I was just looking for some pretty specific features and IMO the PYL had them.
Old 12-04-2014, 06:23 PM   #5 (permalink)

That puts in in perspective, may be a little too stiff for what I'm looking for. I kind of want one board for everything besides buttering/freestyle so that sounds a little aggressive for my skill level. Agree with the graphics though if I were to pick based on that alone woulda been the PYL.

Did you look into the Highlife or Zelix? Seems like quite a few have said it's closer to the PYL, but then Mr. Tidbit has said the Berzerker is a little more responsive / attention-demanding than the Highlife.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanB View Post
The PYL is indeed as stiff as others have described. My friend, who rides a Custom X came over the day I got the board in the mail and his first comment (after how awesome the graphics are) was how stiff it is - and he's coming from the CX. It's not only stiff straight from tip to tail (as most people describe a board's stiffness), but it's also incredibly stiff torsionally if you know what I mean?

As for your other question, yes I did carefully and seriously consider the Ride Berzerker. What led me away from that choice is the fact that the Ride is described as only having a 5/10 on Ride's own 'feel-o-meter' and it only has 'micro' camber - whereas the PYL definitely has some serious camber where it counts (underfoot). Not saying the Ride isn't a great deck, I was just looking for some pretty specific features and IMO the PYL had them.
Old 12-05-2014, 10:41 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
That puts in in perspective, may be a little too stiff for what I'm looking for. I kind of want one board for everything besides buttering/freestyle so that sounds a little aggressive for my skill level. Agree with the graphics though if I were to pick based on that alone woulda been the PYL.

Did you look into the Highlife or Zelix? Seems like quite a few have said it's closer to the PYL, but then Mr. Tidbit has said the Berzerker is a little more responsive / attention-demanding than the Highlife.
I'm not going to sell you the PYL, but I don't think you should entirely rule it out. It is stiff, really stiff - but that's one of the things I really looked for in a board for two reasons - first, I tend to keep my boards longer than some people so if I buy a board that's stiff, theoretically (not always) it'll keep it's stiffness longer before becoming a wet noodle; second, I simply prefer tight, responsive boards - it's what I've always ridden and what I'm comfortable on. I have an aggressive riding style and feel uncomfortable on anything overly flexible.

For yourself, perhaps the stiffness of the board decreasing over time while your riding skills improve would eventually meet in the middle after a half/full season or so?

As for the Highlife/Helix, I looked at both. The Helix if I recall is a twin - I wasn't interested if I remember. The Highlife was intriguing - but that one came down to straight price - it is around $600.00 CND and I wasn't budgeting that this time around. Looked like a real contender for what I was looking for though - next time perhaps (or I'll look for a factory blem later in the season maybe?).
Old 12-05-2014, 03:01 PM   #7 (permalink)

Gotcha, are you mostly freeding? groomers or BC? Guessing park isn't really your thing.

The Zelix is actually a directional twin I think. Says all-mountain twin on the website but with a 20mm setback and light taper.. It's also flat to rocker. Wish there was more coverage of this board, can't seem to find much on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanB View Post
I'm not going to sell you the PYL, but I don't think you should entirely rule it out. It is stiff, really stiff - but that's one of the things I really looked for in a board for two reasons - first, I tend to keep my boards longer than some people so if I buy a board that's stiff, theoretically (not always) it'll keep it's stiffness longer before becoming a wet noodle; second, I simply prefer tight, responsive boards - it's what I've always ridden and what I'm comfortable on. I have an aggressive riding style and feel uncomfortable on anything overly flexible.

For yourself, perhaps the stiffness of the board decreasing over time while your riding skills improve would eventually meet in the middle after a half/full season or so?

As for the Highlife/Helix, I looked at both. The Helix if I recall is a twin - I wasn't interested if I remember. The Highlife was intriguing - but that one came down to straight price - it is around $600.00 CND and I wasn't budgeting that this time around. Looked like a real contender for what I was looking for though - next time perhaps (or I'll look for a factory blem later in the season maybe?).
Old 12-05-2014, 03:16 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
I'm looking for an all-mountain board that can handle groomers at speed, trees, pow, jumps off natural features/kickers, grip on ice, but not for the park. Hoping to improve technique, and confidence for speed/jumps to get to the next level in my riding. I recently picked up an Arbor Element 159 for practicing all-mountain freestyle/buttering and wanted another board that would be a little stiffer and harder charging on/off piste.

5'11", male, 170-175lbs, 10.5 boot, ride mostly at Tahoe, intermediate rider on the mountain (blues and single blacks). Learned on camber and only board I've owned is a 2006 Burton Air.

I'm looking into camrock/flat to rocker, narrowed it down to a few boards and was hoping to get your thoughts.

Ride Berzerker (159W) - Seems like a good compromise between hard charging without being too aggressive. Only concern is potentially edge hold in hardpack / ice as it doesn't have any magne-type tech. Also curious if the micro-camber is enough to carve very well. Finally, I've read mixed things in the past about the aggressiveness vs. the Highlife UL.

Venture Zelix (159) - Not many reviews, but all the ones I've seen have been good. Unclear on stiffness vs. others as I've read Ventures are generally stiffer. Seems more in line with Berzerker or maybe even more flexible. Curious on flat to rocker vs camrock for stability/carving.

Appreciate any input!
If you have a 10.5 boot dont get a wide Bererker, get a regular Highlife.
70'sskater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 04:11 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Gotcha, are you mostly freeding? groomers or BC? Guessing park isn't really your thing.
I'm freeriding mostly on combination of groomed runs with off trail mixed in as well as regular trips where we hike into bowls and open alpine areas. While I am capable of hitting features in a park with a camber board I do so only occasionally. I will however take my older fully-camber boards into the half-pipe regularly for a few laps just for fun and to keep myself humble.

Thus far, I have no complaints.

The Helix (from Ride Snowboards) is definitely not a freeride board, it is a Park board. Perhaps you were thinking of a different board or I misread which board you were speaking of?

Last edited by PlanB; 12-05-2014 at 04:13 PM.
Old 12-05-2014, 04:19 PM   #10 (permalink)

check out the Jones Flagship or Aviator. the flagship is more freeride oriented then the aviator. also check out the Rome Mountain Division
SkullAndXbones is offline   Reply With Quote