Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums

Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/forum.php)
-   Boards (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/)
-   -   Bataleon new board advice??? (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/15711-bataleon-new-board-advice.html)

ejustice 04-30-2009 10:06 AM

Bataleon new board advice???

Hi,
Can anyone help me with this...
I've been riding a 9 year old Burton Canyon and have finally decided that its time to get a new board (mine is all delamintad on the topsheet and have huge gauges in the base thanks to some fresh pow hiding a nasty spiked rock.
I really like the look of Bataleon and their TBT and was wondering what to go for.
I am a fairly aggressive rider and tend to do a lot of fast jumps and bumps off the side of pistes, trees and when I can find it powder fields and like to dabble in the park occasionally. I am 6ft4" and about 13 stone. My canyon is a 168 and feel sometimes it can be a bitch to spin and butter.
Any ideas?
I was also looking at a Never Summer Legacy but not sure about the stability at high speed and the 2010 graffics suck?

Cheers
Elliott

jimster716 04-30-2009 12:28 PM

Riot or the Jam in my opinion. They're both mid-flex with sintered bases.

ejustice 05-01-2009 04:10 AM

I was looking at the Goliath purely from a length point of view seeing as I ride a 168 and the G is about as close as I can get out of the Bataleon range for an all mountain board.
Do you think it matters too much that I am 6ft4, the Riot sounds badass. I need to demo these of course but it would be good to narrow it dowen before hand.

Gnarly 05-01-2009 10:11 AM

Why are you riding such monster length boards when you only weigh ~185lbs?

ejustice 05-01-2009 10:30 AM

well this is part of the reason I'm thinking about sizing down.
TBH I originally rode a 162 oxbow when I first started which was loads of fun and soft as hell - too soft but I knew nothing then. Iguess i literally walked into Rude Boys in Banff one day and said what do you recommend and there you go. I think about 9 years ago it was all about height and not weight.
So for me now I'm thinking either Never Summer Legacy 166, Bataleon Goliath 164(not keen on the base though?)
Is a Riot too small for me? baring in mind I rarely ride park and if I do its only the kickers.

Kapn.K 05-01-2009 12:10 PM

My 163 Legacy-R is stable as hell. Built like a tank. I'm 5'10"(18 stone).

allannn 05-01-2009 02:58 PM

I have a legacy-r 166 and a bataleon jam 161. Id take the legacy hands down no questions asked. Im not sold on the TBT. It gets pretty squirrely and unstable through chop. Personally i feel a lot more comfortable riding on the legacy. Its got good pop, great edge control, floats like nobodys business in deep pow. I freakin love the board.

just my .02

oh and FYI im 6'5 190lbs. Size 13 boot.

OH. and NEVER buy a board for the graphics. who cares what the base looks like if you are rippin down the hill with style.

Gnarly 05-01-2009 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ejustice (Post 159218)
Is a Riot too small for me? baring in mind I rarely ride park and if I do its only the kickers.

I'm 6'3" 220lbs and I ride the Riot 159. No way, no how would I ride a 164 anything unless I was going to be in powder or racing. Been there, done that.

ejustice 05-03-2009 06:46 PM

Thanks for the advice, I definately understand that I can go for a shorter board than I'm used to.
I think I need to demo a Bataleon and a Never Summer, although I doubt I will get a good idea in only a few runs as both will feel alien to me after riding my old Burton for so long.
I think the best thing is to just buy one or the other and learn to ride it and love it.
the Legacy R sounds like the one, maybe I'll get this years as 2010 has a really rubbish font. Although nothing a sticker couldn't sort out.