Physics behind the snowboard - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2009, 08:25 PM   #1 (permalink)
junkie28

Default Physics behind the snowboard

Can anyone explain the physics behind the snowboard?

Why weight matters with the size of the board you get, and not height?
Why a free-style board is a shorter board with more flex? how a shorter board gives more control and maneuverability.
Why a free-ride is a longer board, stiffer, and more stable?

I'm having a bit of trouble understanding how some people say a softer free-style board lets you turn more easily, and then reading that a longer free-ride board is more stable and allows quicker edge to edge transition.

Also stance width. wider stance, more stable; more narrow stance, easier edge to edge.

It's getting to the off-season, gotta find other things to do, and can't test out set-ups.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2009, 09:50 PM   #2 (permalink)

neither of them matter that much, the type of riding you do dictates board size more than anything

Why a free-style board is a shorter board with more flex? how a shorter board gives more control and maneuverability.

they are shorter so they are easier to throw around and manipulate, a board that is torsionally softer is easier to turn at slower speeds, therefore you can control and manouver it better

because thats what you need for that type of riding, sort of self explanantory

I'm having a bit of trouble understanding how some people say a softer free-style board lets you turn more easily, and then reading that a longer free-ride board is more stable and allows quicker edge to edge transition.

how quick a board is edge to edge has to do with its sidecut and waist width, not how long it is

Also stance width. wider stance, more stable; more narrow stance, easier edge to edge.

this statement is too general, its not hard to turn with a wide stance, just find what is comfy and works best for you
Incogneato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 10:49 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

They both matter. Height just matters very little unless you're oddly built. Weight determines how much you flatten the board out when you ride it. If you are too heavy, the board will have no pop. If you are too light, you won't be able to ride the board the way it was intended. If you are 6'3 and 120 pounds, you may not want to go with a small board. Height matters here because your stance may be wider than the board allows. My suggestion: Eat a friggin Kit Kat.

Boards have more flex so they can do tricks better. You want a board that will be soft and easy to work with in terrain parks or while doing jumps. A stiff board is very unforgiving. They are smaller because a smaller board is easier to throw around. The bigger the board, the harder it is to maneuver. You can use a big board in the park, but it requires more effort.

Big boards tend to float on powder more easily. A small board will sink in a bit, but a big one stays on top. They are stiffer because carving on a soft board is not easy and can lead to a lot of weird chatter at higher speeds. You want stability on powder more than forgiveness.

Not really sure what you mean here. Soft boards aren't any easier or harder to turn in my experience. And I don't think length has anything to do with transitions...

No clue what you mean here, either. Stance is totally about preference. I ride wide because I am 6'3. Some people ride wide because their pants will fall off if they don't.
Rome Anthem 158
Flick Montana is offline   Reply With Quote