Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums

Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/forum.php)
-   Boards (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/)
-   -   New gear checklist? (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/15730-new-gear-checklist.html)

SPAZ 05-01-2009 10:35 PM

New gear checklist?

Hey, I just got a Rome Crail 153 board and Burton Custom bindings and I was wondering how I should go about getting it prepared for the winter. The guy at the store told me I didn't need to get it waxed this year, but I want to just in case. I also got home and found a scratch in the edge- nothing some sand paper can't take care of. What else should I do?

Should I put the bindings on now or wait until the winter? The board will be kept in a cool place (cellar).

Thanks! :)

Mopsey 05-02-2009 02:00 AM

I haven't had to wax my board all season. It is still fast and not too many scratches.

snaplok 05-02-2009 02:35 AM

As everyone here told me when I first got my board, always get a new board waxed and detune the edges before you ride it.

SPAZ 05-02-2009 11:32 AM

thanks. the guy at the shop i bought the board at told me to not detune though...

im going to try to get the stuff to wax the board soon though =)

stoepstyle 05-02-2009 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mopsey (Post 159346)
I haven't had to wax my board all season. It is still fast and not too many scratches.

How many times have you gone up..? if there is oxidation you gotta wax

Flick Montana 05-02-2009 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mopsey (Post 159346)

Do have a waxless base? If not, you either went 3 times this season or you're completely unaware of the "riding on glue" feeling of a dry base.

RVM 05-02-2009 03:07 PM

Why do so many people always say to detune the edges on a brand new board? I keep my edges super sharp and can't imagine riding with a detuned edge. I tried a 1* base bevel on my board this season and didn't like the lack of response, especially on good snow.

Unless of course everyone who gives this advice is assuming that the rider hits the park a lot.

Quote:

Originally Posted by snaplok (Post 159349)
As everyone here told me when I first got my board, always get a new board waxed and detune the edges before you ride it.

SPAZ 05-02-2009 05:28 PM

OK- so i guess i can now know i need to wax. next i need to know this: i am 160 lbs and rome's website says the weight range is up to 170 lbs. should i be afraid of this? in which order should i buy these things (i can get one tomorrow)? waxing supplies, board bag, or goggles.

RVM 05-02-2009 05:57 PM

That depends on how much more you'll be boarding this season. If you are going out, get goggles first. If you won't be able to, get the bag. Frankly, since you can get a decent waxjob for fairly cheap, I'd just pay for the waxing until you can get your own setup.

Goggles are my single most important piece of gear on the mountain. I cannot and usually will not ride without them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnowboardSpaz (Post 159453)
OK- so i guess i can now know i need to wax. next i need to know this: i am 160 lbs and rome's website says the weight range is up to 170 lbs. should i be afraid of this? in which order should i buy these things (i can get one tomorrow)? waxing supplies, board bag, or goggles.

SPAZ 05-02-2009 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RVM (Post 159466)
That depends on how much more you'll be boarding this season. If you are going out, get goggles first. If you won't be able to, get the bag. Frankly, since you can get a decent waxjob for fairly cheap, I'd just pay for the waxing until you can get your own setup.

Goggles are my single most important piece of gear on the mountain. I cannot and usually will not ride without them.

how much does it cost for someone to wax it?

just to add: i totally agree with you on the goggles statement. i also wear a facemask or bandana and go "ninja death mode" on the mountain :flame: