I've rented enough! I wanna buy, but on a budget. - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
User Tag List

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-04-2007, 02:07 AM
mustang6767c
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
I've rented enough! I wanna buy, but on a budget.

Hi everyone,

I am new here and I am looking to buy my first board. Unfortunately I have a budget of about $300-350. I am 5'9, 160lbs, size 11 or 12 (depending on the boot), and I ride regular. I am 22years old, and I go to big bear mountain in Southern California. Most of the time I just do a lot of cruising and I have been trying little jumps. I have been riding for about 8 or 9 years, but I only go once or twice a year, so I don't get much time to practice. I can hold my own, but sometimes I have to relearn a little bit since I only go a few times a year. Anyways, I have been looking at a world industries board and bindings, but I am not sure if they are any good. Obviously, I am open to other suggestions, but since my budget is kind of low, I am not sure what to do. Any advice would be appreciated and I am open to all suggestions at this point. I hope I covered everything, but if I forgot some important information please let me know. Thank you very much.

Last edited by mustang6767c; 11-04-2007 at 02:11 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-04-2007, 02:32 AM
Senior Member
 
landonk5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: WALNUT, CA
Posts: 351
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
no world industry boards. or bindings(i didnt even know they made them).
but you can find alot better boards and bindings and boots for around $350.
check ebay. you can get a decent board for around $150-200. bindings -$70-100
boots $60-100. so you can come out even under $300 if you look hard enough.
sierrasnowboarding.com is selling some decent boards for under $200 right now.
and they got upgraded mission bindings for $80. and boots for like $50? but
you should try boots on before you buy them.

no.
landonk5 is offline  
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-04-2007, 03:12 AM
mustang6767c
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by landonk5
no world industry boards. or bindings(i didnt even know they made them).
but you can find alot better boards and bindings and boots for around $350.
check ebay. you can get a decent board for around $150-200. bindings -$70-100
boots $60-100. so you can come out even under $300 if you look hard enough.
sierrasnowboarding.com is selling some decent boards for under $200 right now.
and they got upgraded mission bindings for $80. and boots for like $50? but
you should try boots on before you buy them.

Would you have any brands to recommend in my price range? I have a few in mind...Lamar, Palmer, Salomon, Lib. Are any of these good? Thanks for your help I appreciate it.
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-04-2007, 03:21 AM
mustang6767c
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
I also had one more question. I have searched other threads and noticed people concerned about board width. Since I am a size 11 or 12 do I need to be concerned? What will this do if I have a size 12 on a normal width board? Thanks
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-04-2007, 09:33 AM
Oh god...NO!
 
Slaughterhouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Posts: 812
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang6767c
I also had one more question. I have searched other threads and noticed people concerned about board width. Since I am a size 11 or 12 do I need to be concerned? What will this do if I have a size 12 on a normal width board? Thanks
This will affect you if you ride a narrow board with your bindings dialed in the zeros. If you dial your bindings at an angle (say duck stance or a race/carve stance) you've nothing to be concerned about. I wear a size 11 boot on a "normal" width board (around 24.8 waist width) with my front binding at +15 and my rear at -3 with no problems whatsoever.

STICK OPPOSITION MOVEMENT
If you want to act 'serious',
then become a skier!
Slaughterhouse is offline  
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-04-2007, 01:03 PM
Senior Member
 
landonk5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: WALNUT, CA
Posts: 351
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
yes i would recommend palmer, salomon, and lib tech. cause they arent
the biggest brand names out there, but they still make quality stuff.
burton of course is the biggest name in snowboarding so anything burton
on ebay should usually goes way up. i would also recommend ride, rome,
and forum. just keep looking around and you'll be about to find some
great deals. some sites i would recommend are "sierrasnowboarding.com"
and "actionvillage.com"

no.
landonk5 is offline  
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-04-2007, 01:43 PM
Banned Bananas [national phenomenon]
 
alaric's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: CNY
Posts: 1,783
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm going to disrecommend actionvillage. I had trouble with them back in my paintball days. The snowboarding dept may be different than the PB dept, but I'm still skeptical about them.

life IS good.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
alaric is offline  
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-04-2007, 02:12 PM
st.stark
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Hm...I would avoid ebay at all costs and buy from a regular retailer (online or not) new before anything listed as "new" on Ebay. Try out some of the ones listed in the online retailers sticky at the top of the general board talk page.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-04-2007, 06:59 PM
Senior Member
 
landonk5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: WALNUT, CA
Posts: 351
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alaric
I'm going to disrecommend actionvillage. I had trouble with them back in my paintball days. The snowboarding dept may be different than the PB dept, but I'm still skeptical about them.
i see. that sucks. but when they had the super sale about 1 month ago,
wow i saved alot of money. things up to like 75% off. that was great.
but thats just for the snowboarding part. i have no idea how they work
with PB stuff. also ebay is a great way to buy cheap stuff, only if
you know what you're doing. make sure the seller has atleast 98-100%
positive feedback. read the feedback past customers have given them,
and always always ask tons of questions before buying. if they respond
quickly and kindly that tells you something.

no.
landonk5 is offline  
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-04-2007, 07:36 PM
Banned Bananas [national phenomenon]
 
alaric's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: CNY
Posts: 1,783
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by landonk5
i see. that sucks. but when they had the super sale about 1 month ago,
wow i saved alot of money. things up to like 75% off. that was great.
but thats just for the snowboarding part. i have no idea how they work
with PB stuff. also ebay is a great way to buy cheap stuff, only if
you know what you're doing. make sure the seller has atleast 98-100%
positive feedback. read the feedback past customers have given them,
and always always ask tons of questions before buying. if they respond
quickly and kindly that tells you something.

How was their service? Did everything come quickly and in one peice? Maybe stuff has changed. They do have awesome deals, their service just killed me.

life IS good.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
alaric is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome