burton custom vs. vapor - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2009, 05:38 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default burton custom vs. vapor

I can definitely afford last years burton vapor for $500, but is it really better than a custom? It seems to have the same description as a custom except for the lightweight honeycomb technology, and maybe a little stiffer. What would be best for someone that rides 60% glades, and 40% groomers?
The_Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2009, 06:11 PM   #2 (permalink)

I should add I'm 150 lbs., 5'9", an advanced rider, and I ride in vermont.
Old 05-13-2009, 06:55 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

The general consensus will be dont waste your money.

If you were hitting pipe or big kickers then MAYBE the extra lightness will help..but at 1k MSRP they arent worth it IMHO...you can get boards that do everything it can at 90% + tons of stuff it cant do for half the price.
arsenic0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 09:52 PM   #4 (permalink)
hm1sfidc

sell ya a 09 Burton Custom for 250 used 10 times... I opted out of the vapor but I had a bud that paid teh cash for on, and to tell ya the truth could not tell a diffrence.
Old 05-13-2009, 10:41 PM   #5 (permalink)

there is a common misconception that if it costs more it must be "better" but what does better mean in this case? what makes a snowboard better than another one? is a t6 better than a horrorscope? not really if you want a park board. is a artifact 1985 better than a horrorscope? well thats a tougher call. in this case the custom and the vapor are very similar in scope, they are both medium flex do everything boards except the vapor is not really a good idea for hitting rails and boxes and other features. i can't think of an instance where the vapor is better than the custom in anyway other than in douche appeal.
Incogneato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 11:42 AM   #6 (permalink)

So basically they feel pretty similar, the only difference being the weight. I had already made the impulse decision and bought the vapor from steep and cheap for $450 assuming I couldn't go wrong with burton's most expensive board for that price. Obviously the most expensive isn't always the best. Kind of freaked out when I read some bad reviews about it saying that it was too stiff, it rode funny, and it was only for expert riders. I think I'm close to expert, I can ride anything in vermont, but I didn't want some kind of specialty board. I just want the best all mountain board. Right now I could still take it back and get a custom for $275, but that's only $175 less than the vapor at this point.
Old 05-14-2009, 01:39 PM   #7 (permalink)
hm1sfidc

well your correct it's stiff as shit !
Old 05-14-2009, 01:40 PM   #8 (permalink)
hm1sfidc

O' ya their are much better all mountian boards out their I would put it low on the list for all mountain.
Old 05-14-2009, 02:16 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Squid View Post
So basically they feel pretty similar, the only difference being the weight. I had already made the impulse decision and bought the vapor from steep and cheap for $450 assuming I couldn't go wrong with burton's most expensive board for that price. Obviously the most expensive isn't always the best. Kind of freaked out when I read some bad reviews about it saying that it was too stiff, it rode funny, and it was only for expert riders. I think I'm close to expert, I can ride anything in vermont, but I didn't want some kind of specialty board. I just want the best all mountain board. Right now I could still take it back and get a custom for $275, but that's only $175 less than the vapor at this point.
its not that stiff (people think its like a t6 because its aluminum and expensive) its about the same flex as a custom just a bit more directional, you don't really need to be an expert to ride any snowboard short of those metal alpine boards. you will probably like it its just not a good choice if you want to hit boxes/rails/features as the aluminum core can dent.

thats the problem with reviews, what does "it rides funny" mean? that kind of ambiguous nonsense would not cut it in any other review, like for a car or electronics or something. snowboard reviews are just nonsense really, maybe that guy who said it was stiff was 50 punds less than you?
Incogneato is offline   Reply With Quote