Board too advanced for me? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2009, 07:36 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Board too advanced for me?

I've been researching now using this forum and other sites and had narrowed down my choice of a new board to the following 3 wide boards:

Burton Custom X
Arbor Roundhouse
NS Legacy-r

My Question I'm starting to wonder is, Are these boards too advance for me right now? I've rode 13 days over the past 2 years with 7 days of those in lessons. I'm very comfortable on blues and am starting to ride a few blacks. I go thru the park occasionally but I just do some small features and spend most of the time riding with family and friends but would like something that can work in the park as well. I plan to ride 13-15 days a year for the next few years and am looking for something that will last and as I progress be able to stay with. I've been leaning towards the Custom X but have heard it may be too advanced for my skill set right now. Would the Custom be a better fit than the X?

Any help would be greatly appreciated fellas. Good ole boy from the south here who fell in love with the sport and just doesnt want to buy the wrong board.
BarrettDSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2009, 10:46 PM   #2 (permalink)

snowboards don't really work that way. back in the day some of them were so stiff they were hard to learn on, but thats not the case so much anymore. they do make some learn to ride rental boards that make learning much easier but most people can pick up the basics of snowboarding on almost any board.

with a board like the custom x, its not like its too advanced for you, but you will not be able to ride it to its full potential for a while, its the kind of board that really gets into its own the faster you go.

the custom x is not a great park board especially if you are going to be smashing it against features and obstacles, it has a vaporskin topsheet construction and its just not really meant for that kind of beating. i think you would like a regular custom more, its more of a playful board.

not sure why the roundhouse is in your list since its a wide board and the others are not, but the arbor wasteland might be a good choice.

Last edited by Incogneato; 05-14-2009 at 10:52 PM.
Incogneato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 06:28 AM   #3 (permalink)

The roundhouse is listed because I need a wide board( 6'2 205lbs size 14 feet). I mentioned at i was looking at the wide versions of custom x and ns legacy-r. If anyone else has any advice please let me know. And thanks for the tip on the reg custom incogneato.
BarrettDSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 08:20 AM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

The Roundhouse is a pretty stiff all-mountain board and does not perform well in the park. Check out the K2 Darkstar Wide.
lilfoot1598 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 08:52 AM   #5 (permalink)

If you are going to be doing 90% freeriding and 10% park I think the Roundhouse would be ok. It's certainly more of a freeride board. That being said I ride a Roundhouse and love it. Yes it's a bit stiff but that doesn't mean you can't take it into the park.

Also - there are lots of Burton haters on this forum but it really sounds like the Custom is a great all around board and may be the better choice for you.
visibleinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 10:28 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarrettDSP View Post
The roundhouse is listed because I need a wide board( 6'2 205lbs size 14 feet). I mentioned at i was looking at the wide versions of custom x and ns legacy-r. If anyone else has any advice please let me know. And thanks for the tip on the reg custom incogneato.
whoops sorry i missed that. yeah i would still say regular custom or a similar board from another company.
Incogneato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 11:20 AM   #7 (permalink)
Resident poet

Advanced boards are rideable. However to get the intended performance out the of the tech/design that was put in, you need to be fairly aggressive otherwise the board may feel abit out of control because it it taking you for a ride, i.e. it is wanting to do more that you are comfortable/capable of. At least it will have the capacity for your improvement if that's style of riding you want to do.
Old 05-15-2009, 02:14 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by visibleinks View Post
If you are going to be doing 90% freeriding and 10% park I think the Roundhouse would be ok. It's certainly more of a freeride board. That being said I ride a Roundhouse and love it. Yes it's a bit stiff but that doesn't mean you can't take it into the park.

Also - there are lots of Burton haters on this forum but it really sounds like the Custom is a great all around board and may be the better choice for you.
what does being a burton hater have to do with this topic?
absoludicrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 02:46 PM   #9 (permalink)

I don't know anything about the first 2 boards, but can sort of speak to the Legacy-R. I say sort of because I own the SL-R, which is the "normal" width version of that board. Anyway, I was more or less in your position when I bought it, and was also concerned that the board would be over my head. My experience with the board has been the exact opposite. I was coming off a Ride DH, which is pretty flexible and forgiving. I immediately found the SL-R easier and more fun to ride, and felt like my riding improved dramatically in a short period of time after getting it. Super responsive, super stable, but I never felt like the board was riding me. Easy is really the best way I can describe it.
buggravy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 03:10 PM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I pretty much learned how to snowboard on a 164 Santa Cruz wide pan head. Youll be fine
stoepstyle is offline   Reply With Quote