Fakie or Neutral riding stance; which snowboard to buy? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2009, 08:05 PM   #1 (permalink)
N1cks

Question Fakie or Neutral riding stance; which snowboard to buy?

I've been down the slopes a couple of times on a rented snowboard & really enjoyed it.
I'm now looking at buying my own snowboard.

I haven't developed a stance preference i.e. goofy or regular. Is it wise to try & stay this way & cultivate this ambidextrous ability??
If so, what sorta snowboard should I get; freestyle or freeriding?

I'm currently eying up a 2nd hard freeriding board which is directional - which means it won't be able to handle fakie style?

However, I'm more of an "all-mountain Snowboarder" rather than into tricks etc (well at this stage anyway).

So what do you advice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2009, 08:39 PM   #2 (permalink)
fuzzysnowboard

It's really good to be able to ride both ways so you should keep doing it. Freestyle boards are softer and because your a beginner it will be much more friendly probably. Free ride ones are usually stiffer, longer, and harder to control. I think directional is called directional for a reason, so you should probably get a freestyle or AMF board. (Have fun!)
Old 05-21-2009, 09:55 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Learn to ride both ways, it will help you in the future. In terms of boards, I'd go for a freestyle twin. A directional freeride board will be stiffer, set back and have a side cut which may not be as switch friendly as a true twin.
DC5R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 12:06 AM   #4 (permalink)

Get a directional twin or true twin. Learning to ride switch comfortably comes in handy when you need to get out of unsafe situations in ways other than bailing.

What board are you looking at?
markee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 02:08 AM   #5 (permalink)
N1cks

Quote:
Originally Posted by markee View Post
Get a directional twin or true twin. Learning to ride switch comfortably comes in handy when you need to get out of unsafe situations in ways other than bailing.

What board are you looking at?
Thanks for the replies. I've been reading up on snowboarding, and snowboarding styles today.

The board I'm looking at is:

^ it's a good price; comes with boots and bag. Not sure if it's a "directional twin" though.

I suspect I favour a regular stance.. but based on your replies & what I've read it's best to learn to switch at the beginner stage.

Plus, if you can master the switch.. wouldn't that enable you to do cool twists and turns going down the mountain..? Do people who master the switch have their bindings set to a neutral stance all the time...?

Anyway - I'm probably getting caught up in fine detail.
Old 05-22-2009, 02:13 AM   #6 (permalink)
N1cks

Quote:
freestyle twin
^ wouldn't most freestyle boards be twin? And by twin I take it that means twin edges i.e. can use both sides of the board.
Old 05-22-2009, 02:37 AM   #7 (permalink)

Idunno what a "freestyle twin" is, but twin does not mean you can use both sides (or maybe it does and you just need to clarify your statement a bit?). Twin means the board has a centered stance, has a symmetrical flex, and a symmetrical shape.. Directional means it has a setback stance, sidecut, flex, and shape. A directional twin has a twin shape, but a setback stance, flex, and sidecut.

Check this thread out - all the info you need:
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/gen...rectional.html

oh and that board that you're checking out would be hell to ride fakie because it has a HUUUUGE setback. IMO you should find yourself a nice directional twin or a stiffer true twin for riding all-mountain, that you could still use to learn freestyle on.

Last edited by markee; 05-22-2009 at 02:42 AM.
markee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 03:41 AM   #8 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

lolclickers

GOD IS DONUT
legallyillegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 10:29 AM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Do not get that board you posted up! The set back on it is ridonculous...yes, I said ridonculous. You would not be able to ride switch on that board and a very difficult time riding AM given you're a beginner. As noted earlier, go find yourself a directional or true twin. Find one that is a little stiffer and you'll be able to use it everywhere.
DC5R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 10:50 AM   #10 (permalink)

If you buy the board don't pay more than $50 for it, than put it on the wall as art.Buy something thats up to date especially now gear is dirt cheap.
laz167 is offline   Reply With Quote