Snowboard Bag for travelling - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2009, 04:53 AM   #1 (permalink)
Pwalter

Default Snowboard Bag for travelling

Hi all, I'm finally deciding on snowboard bags for my board for travelling. I know that fully padded bags are the way to go, especially since the luggage just gets thrown around on planes. But money is tight and I'm wondering if it'll be okay to just get an unpadded one for 3 times cheaper and just stuff it with towels and clothes?

Of course I'm worried about my precious board but like I said if it'd be the same effect stuffing the bag with clothes, maybe even with more padding than the padded bags would have, would it give the same amount of protection? What do you think? Is there anyone else that does this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2009, 07:02 AM   #2 (permalink)
bowie89449

Only thing I would be concerned about is that towels, clothes etc + board, boots, binding would way more than just padding would. To me there would be no point saving on a bag if you have to pay excess baggage weights every time you use it. That said I will be using my padded bag and also putting my jacket, pants in with it. Hope that kinda helps.
Old 05-24-2009, 07:22 AM   #3 (permalink)

When people travel they generally take clothes and towels with them to wear, not just to pad their snowboard with. Snow gear is particularly good, my pants + jacket + towel and clothes make for pretty good padding, altho I have a fully padded wheely bag if you pack your stuff thoughtfully then you should be fine 99/100 times with a cheap bag.
Reede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 08:05 AM   #4 (permalink)
Pwalter

Yup I just meant that if I was gonna take clothes with me I could just put loads of my clothes that I would pack in my normal luggage in the snowboard bag as well, and thus make tonnes of padding. Especially with the snow gear, I would probably make more padding than what the average padded bag seems to have.
Old 05-24-2009, 09:22 AM   #5 (permalink)

your snowboard is going to get more damaged by riding it than it will on an airpalne
Incogneato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 09:31 AM   #6 (permalink)

Here's wot i do with my board & a unpadded Burton bag. Got a really large used cardboard box, like a box for a TV, cut it to the shape of my board, it wraps round my board so the edges are protected, had to use packaging tape to stick some bits together. On top of that i wrap my jacket & pants around the board & stick my gloves in the bag as well. Its only a single board bag but i still manage to get everything in there incl the bindings & boots. I cant remember how many times my boards been on a plane, at least 10 times & its never been damaged.
Mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 09:47 AM   #7 (permalink)
SpringheelJack

Search on Amazon.com. I got a fully padded bag on there for about $30.

You can get them much cheaper online than in a store, and the padding's worth the extra money. Shell out for the padded bag, then do all the other stuff listed above. Can't get too protected, TSA cargo guys aren't known for being gentle.
Old 05-24-2009, 04:51 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pwalter View Post
Yup I just meant that if I was gonna take clothes with me I could just put loads of my clothes that I would pack in my normal luggage in the snowboard bag as well, and thus make tonnes of padding. Especially with the snow gear, I would probably make more padding than what the average padded bag seems to have.
When I went to Japan the only check in luggage I had was my snowboard bag, they are big enough to carry most things you need together, if I needed to take a second bag I would have been way over the weight limit.
Reede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 05:56 PM   #9 (permalink)

I just used an unpadded Burton Space Sack for a trip to A-Basin in Colorado and the board survived the trip just fine. I got the bag from sierrasnowboard.com for $10 and it held my board with bindings mounted, boots, two pairs of pants, two jackets and plenty of gloves, socks and other stuff for the trip. I figure that me landing on that board is as hard on it as anything the baggage guys can dish out and I haven't broken a board yet.
Rufus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 06:13 PM   #10 (permalink)
bowie89449

I guess it's different traveling from the states. From my understanding in Australia a snowboard bag is considered "sporting goods" luggage and has to be checked in as oversize and depending on carrier has to be under 10kg. If you can pack it all into the one bag good for you, less to carry. I dont mind out system cos I can take a bag with all my clothes etc and then just have all my snowboarding stuff together- if they loose one I can either still snowboard or still have something to wear.