critique my new setup - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2009, 12:32 AM   #1 (permalink)
mattstar

Default critique my new setup

Hi guys,

Newish to snowboarding here..been a couple of times last season in australia just using hired shit gear. Im quite addicted so im wanting to buy new stuff.. I love DC gear due to skateboarding and have tallied up some gear from backcountryoutlet.com.
Majority of my riding this season will be just downhill with hopefully abit of small jumping/grinding when i improve abit more. what do you think of the following? Cant get any burton bindings because they cant be shipped to australia from this site apparently.

DC XFB Snowboard
White/Silver, 155cm - Item DCS1419
$239.97

DC Field Snowboard Boot - Men's
White, 9.0 - Item DCS1452
$123.47

Drake Fifty Snowboard Binding
White, M - Item NTH0096
$90.26

DC Spectrum Soft Shell Jacket - Men's
Black Stripe, L - Item DCS1542
$95.97

DC Banshee Pant - Men's
White Multi-Camo, L - Item DCS1436
$77.97

DC Ato Glove
Black, M - Item DCS1583
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2009, 12:48 AM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Theres not a lot of talk about DC gear here really...so i dont know personally the quality..

If i remember correctly Drake bindings are pretty shit though...could use verification..
If your tryin to stay near the same budget off their site look at the Burton Missions or Ride EX maybe...

Also i'd personally say get something with atleast 10k water proofing for your pants, 15k or 20k if you can...higher the better really lol...your jacket doesnt matter as much..your pants waterproofing matters much more if your sitting on the snow at all.

Its hard to criticize the board without knowing your height/weight...

Oh and I wouldnt buy boots online, are there any shops you can goto down under to try various companies and sizes on? A DC boot fits nothing like a Burton boot fits nothing like a Vans boot, a Burton size 9 may fit your foot like a pillow and a DC or Vans might have pressure points or jab into your foot akwardly...theres no way to know without trying them on. Even if you have to spend more money and buy locally its not worth the risk IMHO...

Last edited by arsenic0; 05-27-2009 at 12:58 AM.
arsenic0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 12:56 AM   #3 (permalink)
bowie89449

You really like DC don't you
Old 05-27-2009, 05:10 AM   #4 (permalink)
mattstar

Thanks for the helpful reply arsenic0.

Theres a problem importing burton and ride to australia so i dont have many choices available to me which is the problem or else i would have gone the burtons for sure. Trying to buy entirely from the one site to save shipping..it will already cost me $250..Although if i was to buy all my gear from australia then it would be almost double the cost anyway.

my height is 5'11 and im 180 pounds (82 kilo)
Im looking at the DC XFB core board 157cm..

Yeah going local tomorrow night and checking boots. I tried some dc's on the other week and was sized up 9 perfectly..im hoping each shoe made by dc will be close the same..i might even go 9.5 to make sure they are not too small.

Taking your advice and upgraded my pants to the DC rodans..10K water proof..

Anyone else know much about my bindings?
Old 05-27-2009, 05:57 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattstar View Post
I tried some dc's on the other week and was sized up 9 perfectly..im hoping each shoe made by dc will be close the same..
Could be, but I wouldn't count on it. Different models will all fit differently when tightened down, the only way to be sure a boot will fit is to try it on.

Quote:
Anyone else know much about my bindings?
I wouldn't call Drake crap at all, I've been riding a set of Mentors for at least 3 seasons now and love them. I also know several other people who have had different models for a long time, so as far as I've seen they are durable, comfortable, good quality bindings.

I've also got a DC jacket that I really like, though that's about the extent of my experience with that brand.

Last edited by gibbous; 05-27-2009 at 05:59 AM.
gibbous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 09:13 AM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

looks like your set for a good season, if the stuff physically works for you then you got a good setup, if it breaks or rides like crap let us know, use it and abuse it, then if you dont like it theres always next years sales, have an awes-sie-ome time! hah... bad joke
snoeboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 12:27 PM   #7 (permalink)

The only opinion that matters is your own. Use your gear and make your own decisions. If your happy with it then all the power to you
milner_7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 01:20 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Yeah going local tomorrow night and checking boots. I tried some dc's on the other week and was sized up 9 perfectly..im hoping each shoe made by dc will be close the same..i might even go 9.5 to make sure they are not too small.
I wouldn't go too far up in size. When new, the boots should fit a little snug, not painful snug, but comfortable snug. You want it to be snug because it will pack out a half size once broken in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by milner_7 View Post
The only opinion that matters is your own. Use your gear and make your own decisions. If your happy with it then all the power to you
+1
DC5R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 08:52 PM   #9 (permalink)
fuzzysnowboard

Not to say DC mades bad snowboards but I read the reviews on them and they aren't rated that high... Have you tried ebay? (You could buy a dominant for uber cheap and beat it to pulp while you learn park.)
Old 05-27-2009, 09:10 PM   #10 (permalink)
SpringheelJack

Never rode a pair of Drakes myself, but in regards to their reputation:

From what I understand, again, never having ridden a pair, is that they were once a pretty solid company, then spent years sliding into 'discount' status, like Lamar or Palmer. They're trying to get out of that funk now and be a respectable company again, but they're having trouble shaking off the image.

Could be wrong of course, that's just what I've picked up while paying 1/4 attention.