Wmn's bindings: Salomon Relay Elite or Rome Strut? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2009, 08:31 PM   #1 (permalink)
yogi

Default Bindings: Salomon or Rome??

I'm heading out to NZ for some southern hem winter riding and need some new bindings to replace my Rides cause the ratchets have finally packed up. I'm about intermediate, looking for something that responds well but is comfy - I've had problems in the past with foot cramp.

Seems like the Rome Madisons are the great fave, but I'm in UK and I don't know if I'll be able to get my hands on a pair without having them shipped from the U.S. which will cost a bomb. Best deals I can find are the Rome Struts or the Salomon Relay Elite, or possibly the K2 Virtue. I've heard good things about all of those. At the moment leaning towards the Salomon cause I heard they're super responsive as well as really comfy...Also not that it's a priority but the Struts I could get are in red/black/white and would look utter shite with my set up.

Anyone got any experience/advice on any of these bindings or their manufacturers? I know Rome are well known for reliability, but I don't know much about Salomon. Any suggestions appreciated. I mainly freeride but hoping to try a bit of park and learn the pipe this season.

Last edited by yogi; 06-02-2009 at 08:22 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2009, 02:01 PM   #2 (permalink)
Boarderchick121

I don't have much experience with the Salomon bindings, but I have a pair of Rome madison snowboard bindings (sorry, I know they aren't the Strut bindings). I like them a lot. I got them last season to replace my Ride bindings too. They are really responsive and slightly lighter than the bindings I was replacing. I can't imaging the Strut bindings would be any different. I am in Canada and I ordered them from a US shop, along with a Rome Lo-Fi snowboard. They sorta clashed color-wise, but I don't really care. Maybe you should think about ordering them from the US - with the exchange rate and sale prices, you might be able to find a good deal. I got mine from this online women's snowboard shop - shreddingbetty.com. Good luck and have a blast in New Zealand (<- jealous!)!
Old 06-16-2009, 01:57 AM   #3 (permalink)

Rome is well known for its reliabillity? according to who? what are you basing that on? unless you are a retailer or work for Rome you don't have access to any warranty rates. i'm not saying they're worse than anyone else, or better, i'm just saying you can't make any assumptions like that especially if its based off the internet.
Incogneato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 08:20 AM   #4 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incogneato View Post
...you can't make any assumptions like that especially if its based off the internet.
Actually, you can. When you have a web forum comprised of knowledgeable people who have been riding for a long time, and THEY give personal testimony as to the durability of a product over an extended period of time...well, word gets around. There are also all those product review sites, too.

"Up, up, my people, let smoke and flame be our sign!"
-The White Rose Society

sedition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 03:21 PM   #5 (permalink)
yogi

Thanks Boarderchick, I have heard great things about the Madisions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boarderchick121 View Post
Maybe you should think about ordering them from the US - with the exchange rate and sale prices, you might be able to find a good deal. I got mine from this online women's snowboard shop - shreddingbetty.com. Good luck and have a blast in New Zealand (<- jealous!)!
I could get some online but unfortunately with added shipping charges and customs and stuff it doesn't work out that cheap... Maybe I should hold out and hope to find some in NZ...just might be even more expensive! Yeah I'm stoked to be going. I've got a lot of missed shredding time to catch up on!

Anyone else...any further thoughts on salomon relays vs Rome???
Old 06-24-2009, 04:53 PM   #6 (permalink)
HeartSnow31

i rode a pair of the salomon relay elite's for the past 2 years and they were amazing. super comfortable and ultra responsive. compared to the rome bindings, they are world's lighter and I think they are more comfortable and more responsive. I had problems with the Rome toecap staying on my boot. The toecap on the relay's is great! They attach the ends of the ratchet and ladder so you never run into the problem of stepping (and breaking maybe) your toe strap. very big plus. and it makes getting into your bindings that much easier. My favorite thing about these bindings is that they give you the support and responsiveness without a stiff cumbersome binding. Just make sure you get the sizing right on the Salomon bindings, as they run a little on the bigger side...
Old 06-24-2009, 05:20 PM   #7 (permalink)
yogi

Thanks, that helps a lot! Good to know, I'm hoping to try out a pair in the next couple of weeks, I'll be sure to take my boots and try them together to be sure about sizing...Only heard good things about these bindings so far.