Rome Flag Sidecut - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2009, 11:56 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Rome Flag Sidecut

I've been looking to get an AT/Freeride board for groomers, powder, trees, and big kickers. I have seen a lot of good reviews about the Rome Flag here and at other places and the tech listed on Rome's website seems very impressive.

The only concern I had was about the sidecut (For the 168, it is listed at 8.08m). This is fairly small when compared to other companies high end freeride boards:
NS Titan TX - 9.3/10/7.8 tri radius
Nitro Pantera Wide - 9.4/8.4 dual progressive
Ride Yukon - 9.6/8.6/9.6
Arbor Roundhouse - 9.7/8.8/9.7

With a smaller radius (my current board is 8.4m) is the Flag going to be able to take high speed turns/carves as well? Or, is it going to try to turn sharper than I want to, resulting in skidding or a little washout?
BoardTheSnow73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2009, 01:40 PM   #2 (permalink)

hey dude, its not actually that small compared to the others if you look at their middle numbers (other than the NS). When those boards list the 3 numbers its really only the very ends of the sidecut that open up into the bigger radius, the reason they do that is to make the ends of the board a bit less catchy and grabby which helps the board act more stable at higher speeds

what rome does instead is makes a very mellow transition zone (the part of the board where the sidecut starts to blend into the nose curve in both directions- up off the snow and around the tip), if you detune this area as well it results in the same kind of behavior as having a tri radial sidecut. some people would argue that the reason why companies use the tri radius method is that its easier to engineer than a variable zone transition zone, some would argue the other way.

so in my opinion you don't have to worry about the flag washing out or anything, its more a matter of adjusting your technique anyway to find the sweet spot on the board, people are way to quick to blame the specs of the board or the "tech" for any percieved lack of performance. when you say is it "going to take high speed turns as well" its sort of a dead end question. it implies the other boards you listed are automatically better at that just because their specs supposedly say they will be better, but as you know, the way a board behaves is the result of a combination of all its specs/tech, not just one attribute (in this case:sidecut radii)

all the manufacturers that you listed make good products, i doubt you would be disappointed in the flag.
Incogneato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 10:43 PM   #3 (permalink)

So......to make sure I am understanding this,
The 8.08m they have listed would be like a radial sidecut over the middle half (give or take) of the effective edge, and instead of using a single larger radius to blend between that and the tips (like Ride/Arbor) Rome uses a "transition zone" that is a constantly variable sidecut (like hyperbolic or quadradic or some mathmatic shit).

I just wanted to make sure that it wouldn't get into the turn too fast and feel really "hooky".
Old 06-08-2009, 01:49 PM   #4 (permalink)

well rome knows how to make boards, i'm sure they don't want to put a hooky board out on the market. because its a wide board they use a smaller sidecut radius to make it a bit more reactive, but they use a really relaxed TZ to take the edge off. will it be as stable as a board with a 10M sidecut gieven everything else the same? no, but its not going to be as sluggish and hard to manage at slow speeds either. there is always a trade off in design.
Incogneato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 02:57 PM   #5 (permalink)

Cool, thanks for the info.