Emotionally Designed Goggles - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2007, 05:07 AM   #1 (permalink)
arifman13

Default Emotionally Designed Goggles

Hey all Wintersport extremists!

Iím a sports product designer from Brighton, UK and Iím looking into designing a new set of ski/snowboard goggles.

These new goggles are meant to inflict a feeling of fear and intimidation into the eyes of others on the slope (opponents) and give the users themselves an instant confidence boost and feeling of superiority.

What are the most intimidating and fearsome goggles you have come across? Also what would you be intimidated by in a pair of goggles?

Iíd really appreciate some of your feedback

Thanks, Arif.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2007, 05:52 AM   #2 (permalink)
Samyaksambuddhas

you want to create a product which inspires 'fear and intimidation'?

why? is there not enuff of that already in the world, that people need to be reminded of it when going on a winter sports holiday?

surely your energies could be better exploited towards less bravado fuelled ends no? being in Brighton, i would've thought you'd look to the rainbow motif a little more!
Old 11-06-2007, 06:00 AM   #3 (permalink)
arifman13

Hey Paulo,

Maybe I should have stated they are for professional competition, so that the users gain every single competitive advantage over their opponents as possible.

My intention was not to give young budding snowboarders nightmares!

thanks again

arif
Old 11-06-2007, 06:15 AM   #4 (permalink)
Samyaksambuddhas

cheers arif

but surely pro snowboarders are merely aspirational product placement 'cat walk' (aka half pipe) models, where the things they wear are chosen and therefore offered up as being products for (their salary paying) public no?

but your underlying ambition is interesting.... have you found evidence to suggest that what pro riders wear installs a confidence in their ability that isn't already there?

with haakonsen's mantra of 'snowboarding is 3% skill and 97% confidence' what the hell difference would a pair of goggles actually make?
Old 11-06-2007, 01:37 PM   #5 (permalink)
st.stark

I am not going to question motives and say that I think they must surely make it so the other person cannot see their eyes. Also, the color of the lens would be important so as to have a full effect. Other than that, I am not sure...
Old 11-06-2007, 01:47 PM   #6 (permalink)

In terms of lens colour, it would be difficult to tint it to make it look "aggressive" just because you have to take snow conditions into consideration. If you were to use a dark tinted lens on a bluebird day, you would be able to get away with it, but to use a dark lens in flat light would just be asking for trouble. I'd also dare to say that how "aggressive" a goggle looks on someone depends on the shape of the person's face as well. IE: the OTG's my bro and I use both function well for us, but in-terms of fashion, he looks good while I look st00pid wearing them.

Imo, it's completely pointless to focus on the fashion aspect of snowboarding, and when you're designing goggles, stick to the function aspect of stuff...
boarderaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 04:26 PM   #7 (permalink)

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by boarderaholic
In terms of lens colour, it would be difficult to tint it to make it look "aggressive" just because you have to take snow conditions into consideration. If you were to use a dark tinted lens on a bluebird day, you would be able to get away with it, but to use a dark lens in flat light would just be asking for trouble. I'd also dare to say that how "aggressive" a goggle looks on someone depends on the shape of the person's face as well. IE: the OTG's my bro and I use both function well for us, but in-terms of fashion, he looks good while I look st00pid wearing them.

Imo, it's completely pointless to focus on the fashion aspect of snowboarding, and when you're designing goggles, stick to the function aspect of stuff...
You should take a page from Scott Goggles and incorporate holograms of barbwire and skulls into the goggle lens only maybe you could use a picture of a naked George Bush. That would intimidate the hell out of me.
Grimdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 05:44 PM   #8 (permalink)
sheldon

goggles have gotten to the point where function has little to do with it these days, most of them will do the job. so it has become a fashion accessory. in terms of mean looking goggles i'd say that was what dragon was trying to achieve with the foil goggle, but that was quite unsuccessful and has already stopped production.
Old 11-06-2007, 07:28 PM   #9 (permalink)
Shrek

I'm a designer myself, I like a lot of Oakley's sunglasses, maybe look at those and use the cues for your goggles.
Old 11-11-2007, 07:21 AM   #10 (permalink)
arifman13

thanks for all your input and jokes guys!

I wasn't intending on designing a pair of ridiculous looking goggles, with missiles attached to them.
The intention was more to integrate psychology of the mind into the design & appearance of the goggles. i.e. colour psychology - making you feel more aggressive and confident, the sensation of correct fit & feel - to make them feel part of your body and not an obtrusive piece of gear. Therefore confidence enhancing. Formation of shapes etc

All these factors are proven ways of boosting performance not only in sport. maybe it's something that people take for granted in most products?

I was just wanting your further opinions on how you feel in performance enhancing techniques, if you knew of any?

again i would appreciate all your feedback, and take it on board.