Please help - scratched base after first wax job!! - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2009, 02:58 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Please help - scratched base after first wax job!!

Hi all,

I recently bought a Nidecker Legacy board (my first board) and after reading heaps and heaps about waxing on this forum and watching SnowWolfs excellent tutorial vids I thought I would give it a go myself. The hot waxing went fine. With the board nicely coated I put it away for storage. However today when I scraped all the excess wax off I scratched/scuffed/roughed up the base a bit, but only near the nose and tail (where it starts to curve up). The rough patches look a bit whiter than the board. I managed this and it is only a plastic scraper! All the comments Ive read state or imply that you cant scratch a board with a plastic scraper (provided its flat against the base of the board of course). I was pressing reasonably hard (but needed to otherwise the wax wouldnt have come off), making sure to keep the scraper flat, and went at it for a while to remove almost all excess wax. Any ideas on what I could have done wrong or how I could smooth the rough patches back out? Im pretty certain the rough patches werent there when I got it. Maybe Nidecker bases are softer?

Also to anyone wanting to wax and scrape there boards watch out for the little indented part on the scraper designed for removing wax from the board edge, I also managed to scratch a fine line along part of the base, and it was very easy to do.

Any help and advice from all you knowledgable people out there would be greatly appreciated

Cheers

Dan
dneukirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2009, 03:07 AM   #2 (permalink)

its not likely you have done any damage at all, theres probably just some wax on that spot still. the other fine line thing you are talking about is irrelevant as well, you base is going to sustain much more damage than that by using it, its not important that the base remains totally pristine and don't expect it to.
Incogneato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 12:43 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

did you buff it with a scothbrite pad? that might take out the "scratches and lines" you're talking about if they're related to excess wax left over
Old 06-13-2009, 11:22 PM   #4 (permalink)

Yeah thanks for the advice guys. A good point that the board is going to get banged up when I use it anyway. Its definitely not wax though. I used the scotch pad after scraping hoping that it might do the trick but no luck. Cheers
Old 06-15-2009, 09:20 AM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

dont worry, my base isnt pretty anymore either, but i still show it a good time
snoeboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 05:55 PM   #6 (permalink)
desklamp

if your base isn't scratched, you're not riding
Old 06-16-2009, 04:00 AM   #7 (permalink)

Yeah cheers for all the advice. Sounds like I shouldnt be worried.

I think the rough patches are little bits of plastic sticking up. Probably similar to if I used sand paper on the base. I sometimes went 'against the grain' so to speak, i.e. tail to nose rather than nose to tail, whether that makes a different I'm not sure. I might try re-waxing and scraping the rough patches.
Old 06-16-2009, 04:29 AM   #8 (permalink)

The first scratch on any board always hurts.

My brand new board without a mark on it in January, had only seen 2 days of riding when I was walking back to the lodge in Niseko, down the hill on the main street of town. I slipped on a patch of ice and dropped it on the ground, first scratch to the base and it wasn't even while I was riding.

Then the very next day my mate chipped my nose with his edge while we were on a chairlift. 2 battlescars that I got while I wasn't even riding.
Reede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 09:47 AM   #9 (permalink)
insomniac

I scratched my brand new base while putting the board in the car, up against another mates boards bindings, ouch Mate scratched his base while waxing his board for the first time. There must've been a little pebble or sand grain or something on the iron and when he was spreading the wax out in circles it scratched up the iron and the board with little swirls, barely noticable but still something to od about.
Old 06-16-2009, 11:58 AM   #10 (permalink)

Scratches are gonna happen..as long as they arent gouges your fine.If you so worried about scratches on your board just send it my way, I'll ride it for you worry free.
laz167 is offline   Reply With Quote