Help with board and boots. - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2009, 06:21 AM   #1 (permalink)
Cello

Default Help with board and boots.

Hello everybody.. Im buying gear soon and i need to choose between 2 boards..
Burton Farm or Burton air..
I understand both are nice all-mountain boards..
I would like to know what you think of both..

another thing is the boots..
it happens that in almost every boot im trying on, i feel the heel is a bit free.. that really killed me last year when i was on my toes..

well the thing is that i was trying the "Flow The-One Boa Focus" (those with the 2 boas, 1 for the lower part and 1 for the upper part), and it felt really good and it hold my heel well.
But then in another shop they told me the BOA system did many trouble and many people werent satisfied with it and came back with em..
and that alothough when u wear them on shop it feel like its the best boot ever, when u go riding it u fell the pressure in the same point and it aint comfortable anymore.
I wonder if this is really the case?

If anyone could tell me a bit more i will be greatful.

Thank you very much
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2009, 10:55 AM   #2 (permalink)

buying boots is a gamble until you get some experience under your belt. often they feel great in the shop and then kill you on the slopes. there are topics at the top of the forum page that can help you with buying boots.

as far as trouble with boa, it stands to reason because they are more complicated and mechanical they will potentially be more troublesome than a simpler lacing system. with laces all you might ever need to replace is a lace, with boa you have hard to find cables, tiny parts, you need special tools etc. The same goes for non boa systems as well (like speed zone and all the other quick lacing systems) but no other system is as complicated as boa

BUT everything on the internet is little more than hearsay and garbage. no compamies release warranty rates or anything so the best bet is to talk to a shop and see what products they recommend, good shops generally don't push crappy gear, the same can't be said for big box sporting good stores and online shops though
Incogneato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 12:01 AM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incogneato View Post
buying boots is a gamble until you get some experience under your belt. often they feel great in the shop and then kill you on the slopes. there are topics at the top of the forum page that can help you with buying boots.

as far as trouble with boa, it stands to reason because they are more complicated and mechanical they will potentially be more troublesome than a simpler lacing system. with laces all you might ever need to replace is a lace, with boa you have hard to find cables, tiny parts, you need special tools etc. The same goes for non boa systems as well (like speed zone and all the other quick lacing systems) but no other system is as complicated as boa

BUT everything on the internet is little more than hearsay and garbage. no compamies release warranty rates or anything so the best bet is to talk to a shop and see what products they recommend, good shops generally don't push crappy gear, the same can't be said for big box sporting good stores and online shops though
NUMBER ONE bit of advice, TRY BOOTS ON with a good fitter or shop. heel lift, fit, CAN be measured in the showroom....but this dude is right...it is a gamble until you have some experience..hence finding a good fitter or shop. Here in Colorado we have Colorado Ski and Golf....great boot fitters.

Big box stores are MUCH less informed (REI, Sports Authority, Dicks) and could lead you in the wrong direction.

I agree that BOA is way more complicated...it will more difficult to fix. It failed on me badly and I think it sucks.

Speed laces on Burton are actually very easy to fix. Salomon look easy. regular laces are fine, but do not seem to provide the same support of the latter.
Sick-Pow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 12:17 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cello View Post
another thing is the boots..
it happens that in almost every boot im trying on, i feel the heel is a bit free.. that really killed me last year when i was on my toes..
sounds crazy but... are you trying on the right size boots?
return2heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 12:51 AM   #5 (permalink)
Cello

Thx everybody,

anyway, I do try the right size in the toes i fell the end a bit, the problem is the heel grip.. its not completly free, but it has some freedom that i would prefer gone...

so most of u says to pass on the boa ha? i tried on burton's and northwave..but as i said didnt feel my heel is holding in is place as good as possible...

would like to know 'bout the board as well.. the Burton Air and Burton Farm seemed cool but i donno which one should i go..

also saw the "Buron Deuce" - how is it?

thanks ;]

Last edited by Cello; 06-18-2009 at 02:26 AM.
Old 06-18-2009, 01:29 AM   #6 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

single boa is crap, double boa (focus) is good, triple boa is better

GOD IS DONUT
legallyillegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 01:30 PM   #7 (permalink)
ZFanatic

I happen to like the SpeedZone lacing on my Burton boots. I haven't ridden them yet, so take it with a grain of salt, but I love how I can crank the top section down and get them nice and tight, and keep the bottom zone just a smidge loose so that my feet don't go numb.

I'm just a little skeptical as to how often I'll have to retighten them.
Old 06-21-2009, 01:48 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

i find that regular laces are just as fast or quicker than the BOA boots I had previously. All you have to do is leave the bow tied and just undo them from the hooks and when you're ready to ride just hook them back up. Maybe every 5-10 rides you will have to re-tie it.

Overall it's easier and it doesn't have those pressure points that BOA created for me.
bubbachubba340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 01:57 PM   #9 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbachubba340 View Post
i find that regular laces are just as fast or quicker than the BOA boots I had previously. All you have to do is leave the bow tied and just undo them from the hooks and when you're ready to ride just hook them back up. Maybe every 5-10 rides you will have to re-tie it.

Overall it's easier and it doesn't have those pressure points that BOA created for me.
I just think some people like their boots tighter than regular laces with the thick material that modern boots have (all mountain boots). With regular laces you cannot get the pressure on both the liner and shell to get them tight enough...unless you have really soft freestyle boots.

Boa sucks...speed zone and Salomons laces are great.
Sick-Pow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 05:14 PM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Yes I do have fairly soft park boots.
bubbachubba340 is offline   Reply With Quote