Please help this lost aussie.. - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2009, 12:24 AM   #1 (permalink)
ruckus1

Red face Please help this lost aussie..

yo.. im from australia, heading to big white for the full season in october. ive never even seen snow!! haha. so im a complete gromit when it comes to snow! im pretty keen on getting set up before i head over to cash in on the summer specials you guys are having at the moment.. is it generally more pricey before the winter season?
im pretty keen on doin a bit of freeriding and freestyle (tending more towards freeride atm).. i can surf n skate so im guessing ill pick it up quite fast? looking for a setup to get me into snowboarding.. n something that will carry me thru as i progress..
got a bit of cash, so its not really an issue.. within reason ive been doin a bit of research but its a bit daunting.. so many options, and with the sizing n all..

6`1", 190 lb, size 10.5 feet

been looking at the custom, rome anthem, K2 Format, forum scheme.. but keeping my options open.. as i dont really know what to look for haha

also.. are vans boots pretty much the same deal as vans shoes with skating? cos if it is im down on a pair of vans boots..

looking forward to hittin the slopes.. n seeing snow!! haha
any help appreciated. cheers boys..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2009, 01:22 AM   #2 (permalink)

It may be smart for you to rent before you go out and buy anything. If you've never snowboarded before (let alone seen snow) its very possible you just won't like it and will have wasted gobs of money buying stuff you'll never use again.

If you're for sure you want to buy, you'll be looking for around a 159-162 or so board length. What board you get will be more about what you want to do, and its hard to tell what you want to do until you go out on the mountain and ride. I'd really suggest you rent at least once before you buy but you go with what you feel man.
gidget_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 01:51 AM   #3 (permalink)
ruckus1

i was kinda expecting this reply..
ill be living/working at a ski in/out resort for at least 6months, so its either ski or snowboard.. and like i said im into my "extreme sports" (sponsored skateboarder, and i surf regularly) so im pretty sure ill be spending plenty time in the snow.. on a snowboard.
i was told to get an "all mountain" board to begin with?
its also a question on whether to buy my shit now.. while everything is 50% off, then ship it here, then lug it back over there end of year. or, buyin my gear there in november.. full price

catch.
Old 07-02-2009, 12:31 AM   #4 (permalink)

Mate i did the same thing a couple of years back, never seen snow and i went to Canada with a cheapass Rossignol board and some shitty bindings that I got mega-cheap before i left.
Was wicked to learn with, but towards the end i was wanting a better board, and my bindings pretty much carked it.
I'm heading back over this year and tossing up the same as you, whether to post a board over from the states or get it when i'm over there.
Only advice I can give is invest in some good stuff, you'll pick it up pretty quick and if you go cheap it'll piss you off more and more as you get better.
Oh and (my opinion only) all-mountain boards are the way to go unless you think you'll spend most of ur time in the park, and odds on when you ride powder at Big White for the first time, park will become a distant memory.
My 2c anyhoo
DiscoStu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 06:52 AM   #5 (permalink)
ruckus1

sweet.. cheers dude! thats pretty much pushed me over the edge to going ahead n buyin a board now. most of the sales are finishing up now.. so its all a matter of finding the boards, online, im after which arent sold out..