Boot size, board waist width, and toe drag - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2009, 05:12 PM   #1 (permalink)
caboose117

Question Boot size, board waist width, and toe drag

Hi everyone, this year I am looking to replace the set up that i started riding on.
I've been riding it for about 3 seasons and it's the only gear i've ever had (since I started boarding late)
Anyway, I have a bullet (wide board) and size 10 boots and size M bindings.
I know the size M bindings can accommodate up to size 10 boots (or so) so I know they would be ok to put on a new board, however I want to ride a regular board, not a wide board. I heard that with a size 10 boot any waist width over 25 will give you toe drag.
Does anyone know about the burton boots with the shrinkage characteristic? They say it has the feel of the size you buy, but the footprint of the boot is as if it were 1 size smaller. I.e.: Size 10 boots have the footprint of a size 9 - does this mean I can ride a size 10 boot with that shrinkage characteristic on a board with <25 waist width (around 24.9).
And finally, how big of a difference is size 9.5 from 10, or even 9 from 10?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2009, 06:41 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

you should be fine riding a 10 on a 24.8 board, but you must also consider how wide your stance will be and if it is ducked or not. in addition to that you need to look at the side cut radius cause the smaller the radius the wider the board will be at the bindings position, remember your feet are not at the waist of the board. i have two boards, one is a 148 capita stairmaster with a WW of 24.8 and a 156 rome agent WW of 25.2, however due to the differences in sidecut radii they are roughly the same width where the bindings are. Park boards usually are wide were the bindings are. but post up your stance stats and what board your looking at and we could help you out some more.

as for the diff bet a 9 and 10, i don't really know, but i ride a 10.5 and im fine on a 24.8, but then again the waist width is not the only factor.
twin89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 01:08 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

i dont see the big deal wearing a 10, i used to ride regular width with a 13 boot, i ride a wide now with a 13 and my heel/toe still hang over the edge all while being ducked at 15, -9 .... my feet will never entirely fit a board, no sympathy here :-)

i can vouch for burton shrinkage though, i havent measured yet but i got my Ruler boots in yesterday, im not sure if a whole inch was shaved off but they are smaller, reason i got them is because my toe cap didnt fit my bigfoot Freestyle boots, now it hugs evenly
snoeboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 02:12 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by caboose117 View Post
And finally, how big of a difference is size 9.5 from 10, or even 9 from 10?
The US/UK/AU systems are based on 1/3 of an inch (or 0.85 centimeters if you're into that sort of thing). A size 10 is 1/3" longer than size 9.
BoardTheSnow73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 02:18 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

^^ damn good info
snoeboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 03:12 PM   #6 (permalink)

It is true that burton boots size 10 with shrinkage tech have foot print 9 but in terms of burton collection. This means for example that 2009 ruler size 10 has size 9 footprint of 2008 ruler but it doesen't mean that there are no smaller boots on the market. For exmaple Vans boot: I compared 2008 Ruler size 10 with 2009 Vans Fargo size 9 and footprint was the same.

Salomon boots are claimed low profile but I will check it this season. As far as I know Salomon F series is even more low profile than ordinary Salomon Boots.

Do you need wide board? It is hard to say because it depends from your riding style. If you carv hard and a lot 248 mm can be to little, but for sure don't go wide. Try to find as low profile boots as You can (I recommend salomon F series) and then find board.

Last edited by ukaszeklp; 06-19-2009 at 03:14 PM.
ukaszeklp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 06:56 PM   #7 (permalink)
caboose117

Cool, thanks for the replies, they were helpful!
Old 06-19-2009, 10:57 PM   #8 (permalink)
caboose117

Quote:
Originally Posted by twin89 View Post
you should be fine riding a 10 on a 24.8 board, but you must also consider how wide your stance will be and if it is ducked or not. in addition to that you need to look at the side cut radius cause the smaller the radius the wider the board will be at the bindings position, remember your feet are not at the waist of the board. i have two boards, one is a 148 capita stairmaster with a WW of 24.8 and a 156 rome agent WW of 25.2, however due to the differences in sidecut radii they are roughly the same width where the bindings are. Park boards usually are wide were the bindings are. but post up your stance stats and what board your looking at and we could help you out some more.

as for the diff bet a 9 and 10, i don't really know, but i ride a 10.5 and im fine on a 24.8, but then again the waist width is not the only factor.
I'm considering a 2009 Custom 158. I looked up the WW is 249mm and the sidecut radius is 8.01.
I'm a size 10 boot but that's with the only pair of boots I've tried (and own). I think I may be able to fit a 9.5 pair but assuming 10 is the lowest I can go would that be ok to ride that board?
Old 06-23-2009, 02:24 PM   #9 (permalink)

with a size 10 burton boot you can safely ride almost any waist width that isn't meant for women or kids, especially if you ride a fairly wide stance (22 inches and up) and ducked angles. the people who have to worry about drag are the size 12 and 13 boot wearing folks, and not as much as a few yesrs ago, boots are much smaller volume now.
Incogneato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 01:33 PM   #10 (permalink)
caboose117

Thanks guys that pretty much answers all my questions.