1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 126 (permalink) Old 01-09-2015, 11:57 PM Thread Starter
Banned!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Never Summer West

Vince, the Chairman, sent me their new model in a 156 (the size I would buy) to try out for a couple months so I can let you all know what I think before returning it. Today I had work mercifully fall through, grabbed lunch and headed up for the last couple hours of the day on hardpack.

My baseline: I've ridden a 154 Proto exclusively in all conditions including deep ca ca for the last 3 years.

The basics.

Long nose, short tail, 1.5" setback at the reference points (where I always mount).

CrC, with Ripsaw camber.

Mid flex. Maybe a tad stiffer than my 154 Proto but they could easily share a flex profile, the difference being 2cm and Ripsaw camber. Its shaped like a Cobra but it has significantly more balls, hard to tell if this is due to the camber or perhaps a different core/carbon layups. I suspect both.

When asked earlier if this was the replacement to the Heritage, I think the answer is that if we are comparing apples to apples, the Ripsaw replaces the Heritage and rightly so. The Heritage has always been described as a go anywhere directional twin that will run over a moose. The Ripsaw from others' descriptions matches this. They basically took new ideas, removed the setback, voila, Ripsaw, same niche.

So I will stick with my original sentiment that this is a replacement to the Cobra, but I'm really not privvy to the intentions of the dudes (it looks like next year they will coexist) It seems to me the same board with the new camber. I only put a couple laps on a Cobra (didn't feel much either way about it) the year before last so really going off memory here.

The West is much more responsive than the Cobra was and the Ripsaw camber gives a sense of excitement. I think this new camber profile may really shut up people who felt NS lacked liveliness. Even compared to last years Proto, while I feel these boards share weight and flex, the Proto suddenly feels a bit mushy, while the West, a razorblade. Conditions were fast today. Plenty of available flex to send ollies with whatever effort your ability allows. I would not compare this flex whatsoever to the Funslinger. It is full all mountain, I'm just trying to pinpoint the liveliness, its a new thing in these NS's.

It was one afternoon on hardpack, I have a trip to Monarch and a cat booked in a couple weeks so as the weather cycles I will come back to update how this thing does in different conditions.

Support Local Business
"Shop Smart. Shop S-Mart!" - Ash

Last edited by snowklinger; 01-10-2015 at 12:08 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 126 (permalink) Old 01-10-2015, 06:54 AM
Veteran Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Hey Vince, wanna send me on to test out on the east coast? That thing is pretty.
post #3 of 126 (permalink) Old 01-10-2015, 10:16 AM
Veteran Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Cool, looking forward to hearing more of your experience on this. Your comments about the flex are not quite what I was expecting, as I had Heritage replacement in my head. I totally agree about the Ripsaw being a logical Heritage replacement, as they do ride similar for me. My curiosity is really piqued about the West.
post #4 of 126 (permalink) Old 01-10-2015, 11:27 AM
Veteran Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am hoping this is the replacement for the cobra cause all the rocker was holding the board back IMO. It just needed that extra camber to bring the board to the next level. It was like when they made the snow trooper with the longer zones to replace the SL. It went from great board to now I am on meth when you want to pop, at least for me it did. I am sad the heritage is going away but I like the way the line is heading.
post #5 of 126 (permalink) Old 01-10-2015, 11:50 AM
Veteran Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Is it a Carbonium series board, or matte top sheet?
post #6 of 126 (permalink) Old 01-10-2015, 12:21 PM
Veteran Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Very nice SK. Looks like a fun ride.
post #7 of 126 (permalink) Old 01-10-2015, 06:45 PM Thread Starter
Banned!

Carboniumium
post #8 of 126 (permalink) Old 01-10-2015, 07:41 PM
Veteran Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
shit mine must be in the mail still?

You know how to snowboard?

No way crazy, I did not know that. haha

What the fuck

TT

If whatever doesn't kill you, only makes you stronger.

Then I am so close to immortality
post #9 of 126 (permalink) Old 01-11-2015, 01:11 AM Thread Starter
Banned!

black ops snowboarding son

Support Local Business
"Shop Smart. Shop S-Mart!" - Ash

Last edited by snowklinger; 01-11-2015 at 01:13 AM.
post #10 of 126 (permalink) Old 01-11-2015, 03:59 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sa-weet, so this is basically a Carbonium series Cobra with Ripsaw's extended camber profile? This definitely seems like my next board...

I know it's more directional, but did you try to ride switch with it? What about the terrain park?

Best, Brett

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode