First time. Going from just rentals to owning. - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2009, 07:35 PM   #1 (permalink)
Dantesinferno

Default First time. Going from just rentals to owning.

Hey everyone. I have been snowboarding only a few times in the past few years. However, I love the sport and have decided to own one for myself. I have been researching recently to find a board that would be good for me. I narrowed it down, but advice would be helpful
weight:165
Boot size:10.5
Riding Style:I ride groomers mostly, but I like jumps and would like to develop into other areas as well. That's why I want an all-mountain board.
Budget:As low as possible, however I will pay for quality and will not skimp on it so 500-650 range would be nice.
location:I live in California, so Mountain High, Mammoth, and later down the road I will try out Utah and Colorado.
I like to fakie quite a bit and can ride regular and goofy equally. I'm not skilled enough to ride the halfpipe or rails yet, but would like to attempt to eventually. That's one of the difficulties for me. Most all mountain boards are directional and for someone who fakies it would probably be better to use a twin directional board and those are freestyle/park boards which I won't see myself doing as much as normal riding.
I narrowed it down to an
Arbor Crossbow
Burton Custom (Differences between the Burton Custom Second?)
K2 Zeppelin
K2 Podium
K2 Darkstar
I prefer a board that I can improve and grow on, so even after I improve it will still give me the performance I need. (So perhaps an Intermediate board?)

Boots: I don't know too much about boots, but the BOA system has been intriguing and I know the aim here is to spend a good amount of money because if I go cheap it will be uncomfortable and take way from the pleasures of snowboarding. Also soft boots and hard boots. I would probably have to aim for a softer boot since it is not going to be a dedicated park board.

Bindings: There are so many different models for bindings, it makes it hard to choose one. I did notice that Burton's ECS system is a bit more expensive. As with the board, bindings that are in the middle are ideal as in not too soft or too stiff.

Any Advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited by Dantesinferno; 06-26-2009 at 02:09 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2009, 08:05 PM   #2 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

if you want a true-twin, maybe a Smokin Superpark w/ mtx

email joe at smokinsnowboards.com, they might have some left

you could go with the 156 midwide or the 159 (same waist width)

GOD IS DONUT
legallyillegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 09:31 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

162 Seems long for someone your size, especially if your wanting to do any jumps/jibs/rails..a 156 would fit you way better for that and still give you some float in pow...hell im 145 and ride a 151...
arsenic0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 09:55 PM   #4 (permalink)
Dantesinferno

Ah I see. I guess that would be a lot better. I was overestimating. How about a 158 board?
Old 06-24-2009, 12:09 AM   #5 (permalink)

You would be fine on a 158 for all mountain. Burton custom and custom second is the same board, but factory seconds have a little blemish on the board, maybe like a scratch or little graphic difference. same board tho. U put a lot of thought into the board which is good but really u need to go to a shop and try on some boots first and go from ther, those are priority. No fun to board if ur boots dont fit right
ChubbyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 12:29 PM   #6 (permalink)
Dantesinferno

Ah, so are you saying that the boots I choose will dictate which bindings I get and affect my above board choice?
Old 06-24-2009, 12:44 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I think what he's trying to say is you're focusing too much on the board and not enough on the boots. Your snowboarding day can be ruined more easily by a poor fitting boot than by the board or bindings. Spend the money first on a great fitting/comfortable pair of boots and then on the board/bindings.
DC5R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 02:21 PM   #8 (permalink)
kMc

for bindings you could check out the union forces, i have them and love them. they get good reviews on here. also the rome targas and k2 formulas tend to get a lot of support, i personally have no experience with them though. just wanted to give a few suggestions.
kMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 03:40 PM   #9 (permalink)
Dantesinferno

Thanks for the advice, I'm going to check out the boots later today. Yeah I heard great things with the union forces. Though is it worth spending that much on a binding if I only go a few times a year?
Old 06-25-2009, 03:49 PM   #10 (permalink)
kMc

you can find them for around 100$ right now, and if you are willing to spend $500-650 on a board, i would think that you should be able to buy a quality binding.
kMc is offline   Reply With Quote