After advice - buying first board - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2009, 11:32 PM   #1 (permalink)
Joshbosh

Default After advice - buying first board

Hey all, basically I have read up on a few things on this forum, visited a few external links and remembered what the store person said when I visited there a few weeks back...as a result I have a few questions/options that i'd like to ask about and maybe get some good advice on what to do.

First of all my basic stats, i'm a tall skinny bugger... 6'2 and around 60kg with a size 9.5 boot. I've skied from about 7-14years old and was very proficient at it, but my snowboarding experience is only a 2-day trip to the mountain and one trip to a man-made slope. I've been surfing since I was young too so my picking up the jist of snowboarding will not take long, and it is something I want to get into for the future. Obviously while starting out i'm going to be aiming at refining the way I get down the mountain, but will eventually want to get into half-pipe/jumps and what not.

Now the first option I had was my friend purchased a new Rossignol Imperial board with bindings at half price in a sale, and I offered to buy it at the price he paid, as he was just going to use it as an end of season board when there are more rocks/less snow. Only thing is the length was 165, and at the time seemed cool but after reading up looks like I will be a bit out of my comfort zone considering my build, especially while i'm still learning. So you'd probably all agree to just pass on this offer then? He was offering it to me for $500nz which is a pretty sweet price to pay when just starting out. He said the board would be fine for me, but i’m doubting that after reading around. The board is far more suited for his build however as he’s twice my size.

So lately I have been looking around at what is available on our local internet auction site and different boards from manufacturers who I think will fit what I am after. I’m more or less looking to purchase a board for down the line say 1-2 years and how my board will suit me then, as well as considering learning on it… is there a good chance I can wreck the board due to bad technique while starting or will it help me progress into becoming better? I have a bit of time to look around and can always just hire a board for the weekend if we decide to head down before I can buy something, my budget isn’t limited as such but I don’t want to be forking out an arm and a leg if I don’t have to (expecting a nice tax-rebate soon too ).

The boards in particular I have been looking at (mainly due to the price I can get them at online, I also like a cool looking board hence the Nitros) are:

Rome Crail - http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/List...x?id=224936007
Rome Agent - http://www.trademe.co.nz/Sports/Ski-...-226058316.htm
Nitro Misfit - http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/List...x?id=226270053
Nitro Eero - http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/List...x?id=226058465

There are probably other boards on there that I haven’t yet looked into, but it is an idea of the price range i’m aiming towards as said earlier, something that will be good in a few years time when i’m at the intermediate stage wanting to improve.

Now the people who usually sell these boards selling bindings too so I can always ask for a deal and would be looking around $850max for the Rome Crail board in any size along with a set of Rome United bindings… now this is where i’m stumped as to what to do because a local shop sells that setup for $1099nz as listed on their site, but may be able to ask for a deal from them but there is still a significant price difference from buying online. Buying online i’d need to find out what sort of guarantee/warranty I can get as I don’t want the top layer coming off after my first ride, or the binding to break and not be covered by anything, whereas buying from the shop i’d at least be protected and wouldn’t have to deal with the customer-manufacturer shit, and the shop would setup the board/bindings for me and throw in a wax. This is an avenue i’m interested in, and after just reading the 22-page thread on the wax/edge, would be something i’d do in the future… learning the ins, outs and maintenance of my gear. Buying new there are always the cheap $400nz dollar beginner boards, but I’m wondering if this is what I should be doing.

The other option is to obviously go second hand. One deal I came across was at uasc.co.nz forum :: View topic - 155cm 09 Nitro Swindle & Large 09 Burton Cartel Bindings which I contacted the person about to see if it was still available and it was, only thing is the board is pretty suited to park by the sounds of it, so I’m wondering will it still be ok to learn on? I could probably get away with offering $400-450nz for it, though I’d want to check out it’s condition and possibly show some pics, but being a 2009 model I presume it wouldn’t be too beat up. Would it be better to look around for a good second-hand setup in this situation? Only place I can really go is the internet auctions as the local shop didn’t deal with second-hand setups by the sounds of it. I’ve thought about just getting an old beat up board to learn on or just rent board/bindings when I head down, and possibly wait for the end-season sales as I missed it last year but will have an idea of what to look out for now. Is this a viable option too?

Along with this I’d be interested to know what it would be like from a re-sellable point of view in the case of an immediate accident, or wanting to upgrade in 2 years time. Do you usually tend to keep your old boards or sell/trade them in for new ones?

Now the question is what size board should I be going for… I see there are 152, 155 and 156 sized boards in the ones I have been looking at. Am I going to notice much of a difference between the 152 and the 156? Or would I be more suited to the get the 152 off the bat, or another option is to rent a board for a day of those sizes and see what I prefer or are the rental boards not a good indication for this sort of thing?

That’s all I can really think of now, so if there’s anything I may have missed which could help in me choosing the right setup then please let me know. No apologies for the long post… those generally interested in helping would read down to here.

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2009, 12:13 AM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

OK well first off... curiously enough ( and youll find some will agree some will disagree ) but the actual snowboard itself is the least important of your setup especially when just starting out. Everyone here knows that this is an expensive sport especially going into it and buying all your gear for the first time. In my opinion you want the best possible boots you can afford AND more importantly you want to try them on in shop.. buying boots blind online is a huge gamble. If your boots do not fit well then your whole experience will be ruined. Im sure with your ski experience this makes some bit of sense. Concentrate on getting great boots and bindings and settle for an ok board. It doesnt really matter what board you have because without alot of experience it will all seem new anyways. Think of it like this you can learn to drive in a hyundai or a porsche and still have the same experince simply because you dont know how to drive. My advice is to look for something labled all mountain or freeride to start. These type of boards are fine in the park but excel at pure mtn riding whether it be steeps, pow, or carving. These boards generally have a set back stance meaning they have a tad more nose than tail ( most park boards are centered meaning even tail/nose lengths) Size can also be an individual preference I tend to ride boards that are smaller than my "normal" size. Charts put my board range in the 160-162 size but I ride 154-157. At 60kg 165 will for sure be a bit more than you can handle. Id say think of your surf influence though and if you prefer larger or smaller boards for that endeavor and let that help you decide. Id put you in the 158-160ish category especially with your 9.5 foot. I think the 165 may just have a bit too much width for you. For your height a 155 is really small so im not sure you want to go that small at least starting out. As far as damage from bad technique it probably wont be an issue unless you run into a rock or tree just from lack of control haha. Also at least here in the u.s. theres not a great market for used boards unless you are practically giving it away. Keep it as a back up or an early season board or hand it down to someone else starting out . This was kinda helter skelter but hope it helps somewhat...

p.s. 6'2 60kg? for the love of god eat a sandwich preferably a fried sandwich lol
burritosandsnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 01:25 AM   #3 (permalink)
Joshbosh

Hey dude thanks for the reply, more or less narrows down on what I should be investing more into. I knew there was something I left out, but forgot to mention I already bought a pair of boots... I got a good deal on an 09 pair of Burton Motos, they just seemed to fit the best out of a few other ones I tried on, and wore them around a bit while I check out the jackets, musta looked a bit silly but oh well. I've been wearing them each day when I can just around the house to get used to them, so come ride time my foot will at least be somewhat used to them granted I haven't had any boarding pressure yet, that and their lace-up system seemed pretty decent compared to the rental boots I used... I remember having to take gloves off to re-tighten and shit during the day. Another thing was I felt naturally balanced riding regular and switch on the times I went snowboarding and constantly found myself riding both ways, does that make a difference on choosing the board I’m after or is it minimal?

So I guess we can take it to the next step... finding myself a good set of bindings to use. Over here there only seems to be a $150-200nz difference in the beginner/medium to high-end bindings, though i'm not really sure what i'm supposed to be looking for. How would I go about selecting a good binding, as I guess you can transfer the good binding to different boards when you pick up something new… would I look around for reviews on what is being released these days. Also are most bindings compatible with both new boards and old season boards, as well as different makes? That could mean I purchase a reliable good set of bindings, grab a shitty board, then once I’ve learned the basics grab a better board, but am not limited to buying the same brand of board as the bindings…

Would a board like this http://www.trademe.co.nz/Sports/Ski-...-226133515.htm be worthwhile for me? It isn’t hard on the budget, looks about the right size from what you said and wouldn’t matter a hell of a lot if I hit a few rocks… surely a board wouldn’t snap on me while just starting out. It’d give me a season or so to figure out what I want from a higher-end board when I get there, yes? Was also a brand new board that said it was “all mountain freestyle” Atomic brand http://www.trademe.co.nz/Sports/Ski-...-226133701.htm which was a bit more expensive but still cheap, but looked like a good quality board (sintered base are good right?) The other two ones which grabbed my attention was a Burton Shaun White http://www.trademe.co.nz/Sports/Ski-...-226157403.htm and a Nitro http://www.trademe.co.nz/Sports/Ski-...-226340929.htm. Both come with bindings and are obviously second hand, but look to be cheap alternatives that could get me going possibly?

Just throwing a few ideas out I guess, possibly you know of some good bindings that would suit me from either Ski Trading Post - Auckland's Longest Running Ski, Snowboard, Wakeboard and Waterski Shop or www.trademe.co.nz to get them even cheaper?

Haha and funnily enough I do eat quite a lot, I just burn it all away with the exercise I do The metabolism doesn’t run through our family unfortunately… as they say you can't fatten thoroughbreds!
Old 06-25-2009, 02:06 PM   #4 (permalink)

there aren't really categories of bindings like that, they don't come beginner etc, the price ranges based on features and brand name etc. really you only have to be concerned that your boots fit in them and they are comfy. find some bindings in your price range and they are likely to work fine, don't get the cheapest ones you can find or the most expensive. most bindings these days are at least reasonably comfortable.
Incogneato is offline   Reply With Quote