Chipped my new board!! - how to fix?? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2009, 12:40 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Chipped my new board!! - how to fix??

Hi all

On my first day riding my new board I got a nasty chip. Probably happened on the chair lift but not really sure...

A small section of the top layer of the board (roughly 2cm by 4mm) on the edge where the tail starts to rise up chipped off so now the wood core is exposed. A tech guy at the resort said that if its untreated water will seep into the wood and slowly spread under the top layer and severely weaken the board. Worst case scenario, after awhile the tail will snap. He mentioned filling it with P-tex or even simply using super glue to seal it. Has anyone had experience with this sort of problem? What methods have worked? Would super glue be sufficient? Or would it be better to take it to a shop for repairs? Would they usually charge reasonably for these types of repairs?

Any advice is much appreciated.
dneukirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2009, 01:00 AM   #2 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

any type of waterproof epoxy + clamp

GOD IS DONUT
legallyillegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 01:12 AM   #3 (permalink)

I had my board chipped by an alpine boarder that collided into me as well. It exposed the wood core and part of the sides are still dented in. Most impt thing like the tech said is to make sure water does not seep in. Im not good at repair jobs so I just filled mine in with a P-tex candle. Its worked so far. I check it regularly to ensure that it remains filled up and water-proof. Having a new board chipped sucks like an industrial vacume cleaner. Good luck with it.
Thad Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 01:48 AM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks fellas

Ive attached some photos - hopefully it worked. I wasnt sure how to copy a photo into the thread, anyone know how?

Thad, you mention you check it often to make sure no water is getting in, how can you be sure? Maybe I'll put some Ptex in like you did. Its pretty easy hey? Its not that expensive is it?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg P30-06-09_15.00.jpg (86.3 KB, 86 views)
File Type: jpg P30-06-09_15.00[01].jpg (63.2 KB, 84 views)

Last edited by killclimbz; 06-30-2009 at 10:51 AM.
dneukirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 02:30 AM   #5 (permalink)

Took a look at your chip, yours is different from mine. Mine is narrower but a deeper gouge. Equally painful nonetheless on a new board. First off, I cant be sure no water seeps in entirely, I dont have the equipment to do so. If you are really paranoid about it, you can ask the tech to do a super sick patch job and hope for the best. For me, I try to make sure that my reinforcement work basically remains solid and doesnt come off, or have some leaks or holes I dont notice. Touch up once in awhile. Inspect it like you are buying a diamond.

P-tex candles are cheap. Available at any shop. 10 bucks or thereabouts? Then you need to learn how to apply it (i.e. light it with a lighter, wait till it catches fire, it starts to drip, control the dripping with a plastic card to make sure it only drips on the right spot, cover your work areas with newspapers to ensure no mess, dont breathe in the fumes. I basically look at some You Tube videos on DIY base repair with P-Tex candles and improvise from there.
Thad Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 10:00 AM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

go to like cvs or the local hardware store and look around for some epoxy thats waterproof. imo that should be the best way to do it. just mix together the two tubes from the epoxy and spread it in the gouge with a wooden match or something of the sort. you can clamp something over it if you want but it isnt entirely necessary unless the top sheet was peeling up and you wanted to clamp it back down. you also would want to do this at least 2 days before your next trip to let it dry properly.
Cr0_Reps_Smit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 10:07 AM   #7 (permalink)
danmyersmn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cr0_Reps_Smit View Post
go to like cvs or the local hardware store and look around for some epoxy thats waterproof. imo that should be the best way to do it. just mix together the two tubes from the epoxy and spread it in the gouge with a wooden match or something of the sort. you can clamp something over it if you want but it isnt entirely necessary unless the top sheet was peeling up and you wanted to clamp it back down. you also would want to do this at least 2 days before your next trip to let it dry properly.
Also, wait a few days after your last trip to let any moisture that may have made it into the wood dry.
Old 06-30-2009, 10:21 AM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

yea thanks for adding that^ i was about to say it at the end but then it slipped my mind.
Cr0_Reps_Smit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 10:54 AM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Use the picture button to paste in the url that has your picture. It will then show up in your post. I went ahead and added in for you. The damage doesn't look that serious to me. I doubt I would even bother to patch it if it was my board. As mentioned you can use epoxy to to seal it. Make sure that there isn't moisture in there. Also, use an epoxy that is meant for cold temperatures.
killclimbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 03:18 PM   #10 (permalink)
rihardslol

Quote:
Originally Posted by dneukirch View Post
Thanks fellas

Ive attached some photos - hopefully it worked. I wasnt sure how to copy a photo into the thread, anyone know how?

Thad, you mention you check it often to make sure no water is getting in, how can you be sure? Maybe I'll put some Ptex in like you did. Its pretty easy hey? Its not that expensive is it?

That's really nothing...You can do something if you want, but it's not as close as I would call a "nasty chip". I got a lot of those things, Seriously, it's nothing much.